William Butler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Butler

I'm reposting this on another thread for good reason, for in 1884 the very same William Butler attacked two women on the same night, causing severe injuries.
    'Yes, Sam, the 'Horn of Plenty'.
    Funny name for a pub in an area where most had nothing.
    From the OB it appears that the pub only came into being in 1847, and is most often described as on Crispin street, but sometimes as on Dorset.
    Once established it was a very violent place indeed, as this one encounter shows... it seems to have started over a dispute between two unfortunates, which probably indicates that they were pimps.
    I certainly wouldn't have liked to have met these two chaps on a dark night after they were released 18 months later in 1886, especially if I were an unfortunate who hadn't paid her 'rent'.

'EMMA GILES . I am single—on 22nd December, at 7 p.m., I was at my door, which is right opposite the Horn of Plenty public-house, and saw a disturbance between the prisoner Butler and Russell—they were both strangers to me—I saw Russell knock Butler down—Butler had his coat off—he got up—they did not fight again; Russell walked away—Russell knocked Butler down twice in the course of the fight—I afterwards heard Butler say, "We will belt the beast"—Whitwell was with Butler—they both took their belts off, bound them round their wrists, and with that they went into the poor man Russell, and both hit him with the buckle ends of their belts—Russell had no hat on—he fell down when he was struck—I saw Whitwell hit him on the head with the belt, and kick him when he was down, saying "I will kick his b——brains out"—I saw blood all over Russell's head—I saw Butler with an open knife, and he said he would cut his b——throat—the belts were very broad, with very large buckles, larger than this one (produced).'
    And then buggar me, and 'xcuse me, but what does the very same William Butler do a year after his release in early 1888?
    Attempts to kill his own mother that's what.
    One wonders what he was about in 1888?

'JOHN ROBERT SAMUEL HAYWARD , M. D. I live at 150, Rotherhithe Street—on 26th January, about five, I was called to Canning Street, where I saw Mrs. Butler lying half on the kerb and half in the road in front of her house—I had her carried indoors and laid on a bed, and examined her—her throat was cut in two places and bleeding—the wound on the left side was two inches long by one and a half deep, the other was on the right side of "the throat, two inches long by three-quarters deep; there was also a wound on the back of the right wrist two inches long by half an inch deep—I dressed the wounds, and had her immediately removed to Guy's Hospital.'

And not forgetting Butler's partner in crime, William Whitwell:

Times (London)
    13 September 1890

At the THAMES Police-court, WILLIAM WHITWELL, alias WOODEY, who had suffered 18 months' imprisonment for killing a man, and who was known as one of the most desperate characters in the East-end, was charged, on a warrant, with using threats towards Mrs. Kruze, of the Horn of Plenty publichouse, Market-street, Poplar, whereby she went in bodily fear. Mr. George Hay Young prosecuted, and stated that prisoner was a man who never did any work and was the leader of a gang of roughs known as the "Bowery Boys." He and his companions existed by blackmailing people. Several persons employed at this house had been obliged to leave in consequence of the violence of this gang. Mrs. Kruze, a widow, said she knew the prisoner as loafing about the house. On Monday last he and six or seven others came in. He wanted her to fill the pots with beer, and she refused. He then said he would open her head with a pot and "Jack the Ripper" her. He said he would have her and "undo" her, and did not mind doing a "stretch" for her. The prisoner then stationed members of his gang at each door, and prevented customers from coming in. Her house was boycotted for upwards of an hour. The next day the prisoner again threatened her, and she had to have five constables to protect her. Thomas Battenden, the potman, gave corroborative evidence, and said he was gong to leave his situation on account of the threats of the prisoner and his gang. George Green, late manager to the prosecutrix, said the prisoner told him they intended to boycott the house and put a black flag across. He had been kicked by this gang, and was afraid to take proceedings on account of their threats. He was obliged to leave his situation as he was afraid of them. Constable 95 K proved a large number of previous convictions against the prisoner. Mr. Dickinson said it was outrageous in this country that persons should be frightened from going about their business. That sort of thing must be stopped, and the prisoner would have to find two sureties in £25 each or go to prison for four months.

Comment

The Horn of Plenty publichouse, Market-street, Poplar? Not Crispin Street or Dorset Street?

Comment

You are confused about threads, John, this is the thread about William Butler and William Whitwell, not the 'Horn of Plenty' in Crispin street; Mile End; or elsewhere.
        It appears from the reports I have found that this particular gang controlled most of the East End, and were not shy of attacking women in their patch.

Comment

Working...
        X