Clear All

• Picture of John McCarthy

I don't know if this has been posted before but I don't remember seeing it
    Chris

Penny Illustrated Paper
    17 November 1888
    Attached Files

Hi Chris-

A great pic- I have seen it before---not sure if it's been on the boards...he does look like a stalwart of the community in that drawing- not the pimp that has been suggested (!)...but hey! appearances can be deceptive!

Suz xx
    (Glad you're back!!!)
    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Great pic...a right shady looking sort, IMO!

Thanks for that!
      best,

claire

Comment

Thanks Chris.It is a very good likeness if I remember correctly----some of us saw his photo at the August Whitechapel Society meeting.He looked a little bit older in the photo and less distinguished and serious ,but very similar.
        Best Wishes
        Norma

Comment

You should all have seen it before. It's in Sugden.

Wolf.

Comment

Oops! Silly me
            Thanks Wolf

Norma, The photo you refer to of Mccarthy, has that been published as I definitely haven't seen that!

Comment

Chris, the photo of McCarthy is owned by Fiona Kendall-Ball (that is her name, right?)

The actual photograph is lost but it's a copy. Oddly, it appears to be in dot matrix print but nevertheless does look rather like the sketch - though a little less generic, which I think may say a lot for many illustrations of the period.

It was shown around at a WS1888 meeting earlier this year, although closely guarded (Christian took a photo of it and was promptly ordered to delete it). Fiona intends to use it in an upcoming book.

PHILIP
              Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Hi Philip

The lady in question is called Fiona Kendall-Lane and she is John McCarthy's great grand daughter.

Coral

Comment

Working...
                X