Why two cuts across the throat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why two cuts across the throat?

Why do Nichols and Chapman have two cuts across their throats, but Stride and Eddowes only one? Does anybody have a theory on that, and what it could reveal about the MO?

My guess would be because the Ripper had never cut a throat before Nicholls, and wasn't sure of himself yet. I believe that Martha Tabram was his first murder, and the mad stabbing spree he unleashed on her would have spattered him with blood quite badly, leading him to try a different technique in his subsequent attacks, and his hand became steadier with each time from that point.

Comment

I believe we discussed this some years ago. Someone posted a pic of a double bladed knife. I tried google images but couldn't find any such thing. My recollection may be wrong.

Anybody know anything about this?

Comment

It just sounds like an increase in experience to me.
        "Damn it, Doc! Why did you have to tear up that letter? If only I had more time... Wait a minute, I got all the time I want! I got a time machine!"

Comment

I knowit has been suggested before but maybe it was to hide the garrott of a cord which he used to strangle the victims. I can't see why he would want to hide the fact that he had strangled them but thats my only suggestion at the moment. Lol
          Best regards,
          Adam

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Jack View Post
            I knowit has been suggested before but maybe it was to hide the garrott of a cord which he used to strangle the victims. I can't see why he would want to hide the fact that he had strangled them but thats my only suggestion at the moment. Lol
            Maybe the first cut did not severe a neck structure the killer wanted severed?
            We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

Possibly just starting to cut a throat on Nicholls, wanted to be sure he severed properly to cause death in his victim.

Comment

No really though, some people think it is because he just started cutting throats, that can be assumed, however it is also possible that he was leaving a calling card with as with Canocial Eddowes even with the one cut accross it was deep throat-cutting as with Nicholls & Chapman. So the two cuts accross on two of the victims he was getting a handle on it, but the deepness was intentional as he nearly took the head off one i recall.

Comment

It is quite possible he was drinking heavily before he went out. Too much alcohol could be the simple answer.

Mike
                  huh?

Comment

My thinking is that a right handed throat cutter- With a woman in front of him- would have taken the first swipe from left to right with the thumb on top of the knife giving it a heavier cut and then came back with the hand upside down, fingers up in a back and forward swipe ,which would explain Polly...

Try it - it makes sense...Hubby's just saying ....What the **** are you doing when I practised that visually in a waving sort of way - before I typed it!!

Now a left handed killer would do that in reverse... unless the victim had their back to the killer- which may make some sense and put the whole post tits up! (Well in reverse !)
                    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

The first cut may be an attempt to cut the windpipe quickly.

Comment

Yes, it might be... this is evidence in a later case in 1903, a domestic I would point out, and you'll see what I mean.

'I made a post mortem examination on the 4th—on the forehead I found a wound 1 in. above the right eyebrow, 2 in. long, and the flesh divided to the bone; under the left ear there were two superficial cuts; on the face there was a wound 7 in. in length, commencing on the bridge of the nose, 3/4 in. from the right eye, and passing obliquely down the face, over the cheek to the jaw, dividing the muscles and the blood vessels; that was a serious wound, it crossed over the lower jaw to the neck, and cut through the muscles and blood vessels of the neck; there was an incised wound on the throat, commencing 3/4 in. above the right margin of the breast bone, meeting the other cut and forming a continuous cut, the windpipe was completely severed;'

Comment

It seems unclear to me that it was indeed two cuts. At least for Annie and mjk. It could have benn one cut all the way around with beginning and end slightly offset.

Comment

Originally posted by diana View Post
                            I believe we discussed this some years ago. Someone posted a pic of a double bladed knife. I tried google images but couldn't find any such thing. My recollection may be wrong.

Anybody know anything about this?
                            Diana,

I read somewhere that a double-edged knife is a favourite with some
                            gangland members to 'teach their victims a lesson'. The point of it being
                            that it made the wound more difficult to stitch and heal. But they weren't
                            over the counter numbers, but custom built by the attackers. Nice...

Comment

Originally posted by IchabodCrane View Post
                              Why do Nichols and Chapman have two cuts across their throats, but Stride and Eddowes only one? Does anybody have a theory on that, and what it could reveal about the MO?
                              Hi Ichabod,

I think in the first 2 murders we see overkill with the throat cut. Since nothing that was done to Martha would aid him in Pollys murder, and Marthas throat wound looked nothing like this one and Annies, I believe this is his first murder,.. and when he uses the knife, he does so with more force than required due to adrenaline or his intention to absolutely kill. I think he chokes holds them to cause them to black out because he is not confident about using his knife to fight with. Only to cut with. Which to me suggests someone other than street criminal who uses a knife at any time, all the time. Even just to threaten with.

He doesnt seem to want to fight, he just wants to overpower without fighting,... he doesnt want to stab, he wants to cut.

I think thats the profile of the man that killed C1 and C2. Why Kate has a single wound and her nose almost severed completely...in addition to what we would expect to see, becomes a springboard for Marys inclusion....as yet another iteration, but I think there are circumstantial quirks that make her a less sure Canonical than the first 2 women.

And Liz Stride was murdered.

I think the only sure quality that the killer nicknamed Jack the Ripper had was ripping women open......Unfortunate street women, and Ripping, being the two vital elements in any of his kills.

All the best.
                              Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2009, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X