Victims heard singing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victims heard singing

I find it charming and just slightly comforting that two of JTR's victims- Catherine Eddowes and Mary Kelly- are known to have been singing shortly before their deaths. Any historians out there know if it was a common thing for people to break into song to entertain themselves or others in Victorian times before the advent of electronic media like music on the radio?

Also, we know that Mary was heard singing "Only a Violet I Plucked from Mother's Grave," but is there any source that tells us what song Catherine was singing to herself in her jail cell?

Song was very much part of working class life then, and well into the 20th century. The main inspiration in those days was the music hall.

On the nights in question, spontaneous bursts of song may also have been the result of a little intake of spirits?

Comment

Originally posted by kensei View Post
      is there any source that tells us what song Catherine was singing to herself in her jail cell?
      If there's any truth in the fire engine story, it could only have been "You can ring my bell"
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Or "I didn't start the fire"

"Smoke gets in your eyes"

"Saved by the bell"

"Up the ladder to the roof"

"I picked a hose for my rose"

or even "The bucket of water song"

Love,

Caz
        X

PS Can you tell I'm trying to catch up with the General Section?
        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Working...
        X