Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identification

Hi All,

I'm chasing up a lead on Elizabeth Stride and would appreciate some assistance.

Can anyone confirm what hard evidence we have that Elizabeth Stride started out in life as Elisabeth Gustafsdotter?

Really hard evidence.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

By "really hard evidence" do you mean a birth certificate, Simon?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
      Hi All,

I'm chasing up a lead on Elizabeth Stride and would appreciate some assistance.

Can anyone confirm what hard evidence we have that Elizabeth Stride started out in life as Elisabeth Gustafsdotter?

Really hard evidence.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Simon
      Hi Simon,

I think you need to find Daniel Olsson, because in Ripperologist Magazine, #52, March 2004 he wrote an essay on Ms Stride and her beginnings as Elisabeth Gustafsdotter, starting with her birth on November 27th, 1843, and her baptism on December 5th, 1843....on the outskirts of Stor Tumlehed. In it he says that the only records concerning the first 16 years of her life are parish biblical instruction logs.

Ive just skimmed a bit here, Ill see if it is complete with references and get back to you.

Cheers Simon.

Comment

Hi GM,

A birth certificate only authenticates Gustafdotter, and a death certificate only authenticates Stride.

I'm looking for something which connects them.

Liz Stride got married under the name of Gustifson, so as I see it the only 'proof' we have that both women were one and the same is the Reverend Frost's memo in the records of the Swedish Church, which reads "married to an Englishman, John Thomas Stride."

With the conflicting names it wouldn't really stand up in a court of law.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Hi Michael,

Sorry, our posts crossed.

Yes I've read Daniel's excellent article, but it doesn't address the dilemma. I have written to him, but am still awaiting a reply.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Well.....the essay comes with some footnotes, and sincere thanks to Eduardo Zinna...no sources listed. Sorry...but the essay is involved, if sound research hes done his homework.

Best regards SW

Comment

Originally posted by perrymason View Post
              Well.....the essay comes with some footnotes, and sincere thanks to Eduardo Zinna...no sources listed. Sorry...but the essay is involved, if sound research hes done his homework.

Best regards SW

And obviously I missed yours...

Cheerybye chum

Comment

Working...
              X