• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old books' canonicals

Hi all,
    I'm curious about 3 old books I didn't read and don't have:

- Leonard Matters "The mystery of JTR", 1929;
    - FA Beaumont "Fiend of the East London" (from "The 50 most amazing crimes...", 1936)
    -William Stewart "JTR a new theory", 1939.

How many victims, according to these early studies?

Thanks

Both Matters and Beaumont suggested that the Ripper had six victims: Tabram and the "canonical" five. Sorry I can't help with the Stewart.

Wolf.

Comment

William Stewart

Originally posted by Wolf Vanderlinden View Post
      Both Matters and Beaumont suggested that the Ripper had six victims: Tabram and the "canonical" five. Sorry I can't help with the Stewart.
      Wolf.
      William Stewart went for only four victims - Nichols, Chapman, Eddowes and Kelly, he rejected Tabram and Stride.
      SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Many thanks, gentlemen,
        that's precious info.
        The C5 concept is therefore relatively recent, though it is rooted in Swanson and Macnaghten opinions.
        Why did Stewart reject Stride? Did he suggest a suspect (Kidney?)?

Amitiés,
        David

Comment

Stride

Originally posted by DVV View Post
          Many thanks, gentlemen,
          that's precious info.
          The C5 concept is therefore relatively recent, though it is rooted in Swanson and Macnaghten opinions.
          Why did Stewart reject Stride? Did he suggest a suspect (Kidney?)?
          Amitiés,
          David
          Stewart Opens his Stride chapter with -

"While there is not a shred of evidence to support the belief that Elizabeth Stride was murdered by the Ripper this murder is included, for, like that of Martha Tabram, no account of the East End murders would be complete without it.
          The murder of Stride was a coincidence and, merely because her body was found in a yard, both Press and public jumped to the conclusion that both this murder and that of Eddows [sic] which took place an hour later, was the work of the Ripper..."

and ends it with -

"NOTE. In each of the Ripper murders the victim was killed by the throat being cut from left to right. This characteristic alone marked the murder of Elizabeth Stride as not being the work of Jack the Ripper."

He relates Kidney's evidence but suggests no suspect for her murder. He is not too factually accurate.
          SPE

Comment

With all due respect Stewart...

If you take Stride out of the equasion...you have to remove Kelly too.

I always say the same.....there was good reason for their inclusion.The police must have had to have been very aware of the fact that they could have included ladies into the mix who weren't true victims...with the amount of fear that was around,they wouldn't have wanted to have added more, unnecessarily....if we look at Kelly..why on earth,having found her in that state,would they have just jumped to the conclusion that she was JTR related?It was some time after the double and much more than any of the others.If she'd just had cut throat and mutilations and the only difference was that she was inside,then yes...but this was much different,so therefore should have been treated as a murder on it's own..I have always thought they knew something else that we don't.
            Jack could have taunted the police about being wrong with Stride,would have given him an advantage over them,and pleasure to be able to do so too...yet he stays quiet when he writes about the kidney.
            Just a thought,
            ANNA.
            Last edited by anna; 11-15-2008, 12:10 PM.

Comment

What???

Originally posted by anna View Post
              With all due respect Stewart...
              If you take Stride out of the equasion...you have to remove Kelly too.
              I always say the same.....there was good reason for their inclusion.The police must have had to have been very aware of the fact that they could have included ladies into the mix who weren't true victims...with the amount of fear that was around,they wouldn't have wanted to have added more, unnecessarily....if we look at Kelly..why on earth,having found her in that state,would they have just jumped to the conclusion that she was JTR related?It was some time after the double and much more than any of the others.If she'd just had cut throat and mutilations and the only difference was that she was inside,then yes...but this was much different,so therefore should have been treated as a murder on it's own..I have always thought they knew something else that we don't.
              Jack could have taunted the police about being wrong with Stride,would have given him an advantage over them,and pleasure to be able to do so too...yet he stays quiet when he writes about the kidney.
              Just a thought,
              ANNA.
              What??? All I am doing here is quoting from a book!
              SPE

Comment

I fergot the word "to"

Should have read...."With all due respect to Stewart"...

Not you,Stewart....although it is always a pleasure to post to you!

It was a general post.....

Comment

OK

Originally posted by anna View Post
                  I fergot the word "to"
                  Should have read...."With all due respect to Stewart"...
                  Not you,Stewart....although it is always a pleasure to post to you!
                  It was a general post.....
                  That's OK then, confusion with the name.
                  SPE

Comment

Many thanks again, Stewart, for the info and your comments.
                    All that old stuff is very interesting, as would be all threads about ripperology's history.

Hi Anna,
                    I found the above "confusion" quite...lovely!
                    Who would expect two Stewarts here?
                    How could a Ripper suspect be called Chapman after he met one Annie Chapman in 1893?

Amitiés,
                    David

Comment

Working...
                    X