Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the Reverend who got away with murder

greetings all

The Villisca Axe Murder ,great mystery right up there with the dahlia ,the ripper & zodiac any thoughts on this one?

its got to be Reverend Lyn George Jacklin Kelly right?

It's more like that other Moore.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hello Doppelganger!

An interesting case.

It could very well have been Kelly, that's the closest I can say!

All the best
      Jukka
      "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Hi Doppelganger,

Thanks for the read.

A very interesting case indeed.

Comment

Henry Lee Moore is the known killer here.
          This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Fascinating story - I have never heard of this case. But most of the best known cases are from major cities or nearby major city areas (like the Borden Case in Fall River, on the sea route between New York City and Boston).

Somehow I think the State Senator sounded more likely than the sex crazed preacher. But that serial killer sounds interesting too.

There is an interesting old book of studies called MURDER OUT YONDER by Stewart Holbrook. It has a few well known cases (there is a chapter on Belle Gunness) but most of the stories deal with different crimes that were in the countryside. If you could find it you will find a good read.

Jeff

Comment

Is there any chance the barmy Reverend was also the serial murderer? - he seems to have travelled aorund a lot! And his wife looks just as barking. Bit freaky all that as one of my best friends is a Sara Moore!

The Rev seems the most likely to me, but i don't think this one will be solved

There may also have been some serial killer jumping the trains out there in the mid-West, as many vagrants did in those days. You always wnder how these guys away when there must be so much blood on them... so much easier nowaday with cars to hand!

Comment

Hi Sarah,

During the 1920s, among other serial killers, Earle Nelson went around the midwest of the United States and Canada killing many women (usually boading house ladies). He was executed in 1927. Nelson (known as "the Gorilla Man") certainly made use of the train system of the area.

Jeff

Comment

It is a fascinating case, and Kelly seems to be more likely than Moore. The witness evidence at the Moore trial seems bit dodgy and if Mansfield is off the hook and Moore did not do the deed himself, then he must have paid an unknown other.
                  It would be interesting to check Kelly's movements from place to place to see if he was in any of the places where the other mass murders took place. The train theory is very attractive and convienient.The idea of serial killers using the railway system to get hundreds of miles away makes sense.
                  Miss Marple

Comment

Working...
                  X