Jack - the doctor from Norfolk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack - the doctor from Norfolk

This account was a new one on me. This identifies Jack as a Norfolk medic who fell on hard times and was run over by a heavy van. I'll have a look to see if any relevant inquest report can be found but it is vague about the timing of the man's death, saying it was a winter's night after the last murder...
    If anyone can throw any light on this account I'll be very grateful
    Chris

West Australian
    9 June 1892

THE END OF JACK THE RIPPER

The London correspondent of the Dublin Evening Press gives an extraordinary account of the career and death of a man believed by the police to be "Jack the Ripper." Some years ago (says the correspondent) there resided in a country village in Norfolkshire a medical man who was much respected, and who enjoyed an extensive practice. A woman of respectable appearance came to reside in the village, no one knew whence or for what purpose. She became acquainted with the doctor, and gained such an inflience over him that he neglected his practice, and eventually became so heavily involved that he suddenly disappeared to avoid his creditors. It was known that he came to London, that his evil companion abandoned him, and that he was picking up a precarious existence by scavenging and other odd jobs in Whitechapel. That he was in that district during the murders is certain, and that he was almost continually drunk is also equally true. Late one winter's night, after the latest murder ascribed to Jack the Ripper was committed, he was thrown out of a low public house in the East End, and run over by a heavy goods van. He was taken to a hospital, and died without regaining consciousness. Since then there have been no murders, nor any of that character which made Whitechapel notorious, expected in the future.

Sounds interesting Chris, but also sounds like a tall tale. I will peruse my collection and see if I have anything for that period of time. Surely though his death records will be held in London, somewhere.
    Regards Mike

Comment

I like the comment, "Since then there have been no murders, nor any of that character which made Whitechapel notorious, expected in the future." Sounds like someone checked a schedule.

"Any more Ripper murders expected in the future, Fred?"

"Hang on, Bob, let me get the almanac out... Nope, nothing."

"Must've been this bloke then. Case closed."

B.
      Bailey
      Wellington, New Zealand
      hoodoo@xtra.co.nz
      www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsephotographic/

Comment

But of course, there were other murders after Kelly. Some researchers believe that Kelly was not the last to die at JtR's hands and the police initially treated those murders as possibly Ripper related.

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
          But of course, there were other murders after Kelly. Some researchers believe that Kelly was not the last to die at JtR's hands and the police initially treated those murders as possibly Ripper related.
          Hi Limehouse,

That "proof" you offered doesnt support the "but of course there were others", its just re-iterating conjecture. Theres a great deal of difference between pursuing leads related to Jack the Ripper and thoroughly investigating options,...and as you are well aware, his head count remained at 5 despite any similarities you or others see there after Nov 88.

Best regards.

Comment

Authenticity

It's interesting that this story apparently first appeared in an Irish newspaper.

One item that does ring true is the vehicle that ran him over. In 1899 the Daily Mail ran a story on road safety under the heading 'Vehicles that Commit Murder'. In those days the roads were really dangerous with approximately 1,500 being killed and over 9000 injured annually in London alone - and all without the help of motor cars!

The most dangerous vehicle was a massive wagon called a van, which was the equivalent of today's pantechnicon. Moving at a top speed of just three miles an hour it killed more people than any other vehicle. The reason for this is that at very slow speeds you tend to be 'knocked down' ( that's where the expression came from) and then the vehicle ran over you. At higher speeds the vehicle tends to propel you like a billiard ball and you are very rarely run over.

So next time someone bangs on about 'Speed Kills' just ask them why when traffic was moving at an overall top speed of 11 mph casualties were about 50 times worse than they are today!

Comment

Originally posted by perrymason View Post
              Hi Limehouse,

That "proof" you offered doesnt support the "but of course there were others", its just re-iterating conjecture. Theres a great deal of difference between pursuing leads related to Jack the Ripper and thoroughly investigating options,...and as you are well aware, his head count remained at 5 despite any similarities you or others see there after Nov 88.

Best regards.
              Hi Perry,

I think in this case the writer tries to add credibility to the story by stating that since the doctor's death there were no murders, nor any of that character which made Whitechapel notorious. However, there were similar murders after the Kelly murder and these murders were investigated by the Ripper murder squad, even if they were subsequnetly found to be probably unrelated. Since the story writer states that the man was 'believed by police to be Jack the Ripper and he died soon after Kelly's death, why did the police then initially investigate deaths after 1888 as if they were Ripper related?

Comment

Hi all,

I know this thread has been inactive for a while now but I'm pretty sure this was a mistaken rumor about Deeming as the original article talks about this story being in reference to Deemings alias Williams.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X