Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shouldn't some pics have a gruesome warning?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shouldn't some pics have a gruesome warning?!

I probably won't post much here, but that seems unbelievable to me that some horrible pics can come into view just like that. I wanted to inform myself on victims, so I click on said link, and instead of having a normal portait of victims I get THAT?? Not counting others gruesome pics that are in the photo archive pages, and that you don't have the choice NOT to view, but are on the pages just like that too. My 2 cents, but not everybody want to see that when you want to inform yourself on the Jack The Ripper case. They should be covered and have an option to uncover them at least. For kids and sensitive people. Bye.

its a ripper site of course its going to have some very bad photos ,this is a site for studying the ripper crimes & you can`t do that without the photos imo.

Comment

The most viewed pictures in the photo archive are of the victims and the MJK crime scene photos are number 1 and 2.

That says something, though I'm not sure what. Morbid curiosity on the part of the general public, probably.

Comment

Again, I don't mind that the pics are available, I just personnally thinks they should have a warning, and that you could think twice before watching them. The problem is you don't have the choice. It's a site suggestion but if I am the only one to think that way, whatever.

Um yeah, John Bennett, probably. Maybe I'm just putting my foot in it.
        Last edited by ckz; 10-19-2008, 11:50 PM. Reason: new reply

Comment

Hi ckz,
          Welcome to Casebook,nice to have you amongst us!
          Unfortunately,the mortuary photographs that you saw are the only ones we have of the victims...apart from one lady,the second victim,called Annie Chapman.We have a lovely picture of her and her husband,for you to see.
          Sorry about the shock of seeing these horrible pictures,but the best part about that is that now you have,and once you have read the details of the case,you will then be able to discuss it all with us on the site.You will be on your way to becomming a Ripperologist!!Beware though...the details are a bit gruesome aswell.
          We don't have many youngsters on the boards,but now that a few have entered the boards,studying the case,maybe your suggestion would be helpful to those who run Casebook.
          It would be nice for you to stay around,you never know you might just find yourself enjoying the site...it's not all serious stuff,you know...we have a laugh also.
          Anyway,I shall look forward to posting with you,
          ANNA.
          Last edited by anna; 10-20-2008, 12:32 AM.

Comment

If I posted my photo, then you'd really have something to squeal about...

Graham
            We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

I'm new to the board as well although I have been hanging about in the shadows: I guess I've always just accepted that the subject mater of the site would be expected to lend itself to somewhat unpleasant images in its' photographic section.

Having said that it might be worthwhile to post a disclaimer. I know that not everyone shares the same sensibilities.
              "You know a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybodies crazy."
              Charles Manson

Comment

Mjk.. Is about the most horrifying crime scene photo I have ever come across. The one we mostly see that Dahmer took is really bad too. The poor fellow in the bathtub. The MacDonald photos are nasty too. But I think the worst is Black Dahlia.

EDIT>> BTW. Thanks for your concern. Both of you. Sometimes even we forget that these were Women with lives and loved ones. You can get so caught up in the technical aspect that you forget what you are looking at or talking about. Human Beings. Who were murdered by a monster.

Oh.. And welcome.
                Last edited by Mitch Rowe; 10-20-2008, 10:45 AM.

Comment

They are all haunting images, but yes, our curiosity gets the better of us, and when we take an interest in things so gruesome, these images are part and parcel of becoming informed.
                  Afterall, we are on a board discussing a murderer who murdered in a shocking manner, but that ought to be enough warning for anyone that Ripperology is no fairy tale.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch Rowe View Post
                    Mjk.. Is about the most horrifying crime scene photo...But I think the worst is Black Dahlia.

Oh.. And welcome.

Thanks and Agreed-There are times when I find myself focusing on the MJK photo and trying to place the features. After a while you find yourself just wanting to look away.

The Dahlia's bisected body is another very, very striking crime scene photo that is never to be forgotten once seen and as for the morgue photo of her face-not for the faint of heart
                    Last edited by Lewis; 10-20-2008, 06:52 PM.
                    "You know a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybodies crazy."
                    Charles Manson

Comment

Hi Anna, thanks for the welcome, but

Sorry about the shock of seeing these horrible pictures,but the best part about that is that now you have,and once you have read the details of the case,you will then be able to discuss it all with us on the site.You will be on your way to becomming a Ripperologist!!Beware though...the details are a bit gruesome aswell.

the problem is I can't ever watch that again! It caught me by surprise, and for me now to willingly click on the victim link...my legs are shaking. I guess I can never be a ripperologist

We don't have many youngsters on the boards
                      lol I'm 29. I guess I am just sensitive. I mean, I knew what this site was about, but seeing actual pics of the girls, omg, I wasn't prepared. It's funny that I can watch such things when I know it's fake, but when it's real...

Graham,
                      If I posted my photo, then you'd really have something to squeal about...

Graham

Unless your face is a bloody mess, you can't be THAT frightening

Lewis,
                      I guess I've always just accepted that the subject mater of the site would be expected to lend itself to somewhat unpleasant images in its' photographic section.

I was looking for pics of whitechapel at the time of the murders, I didn't expect actual pics of the murders or morgue pics...my bad.

Mitch Rowe,

Mjk.. Is about the most horrifying crime scene photo I have ever come across. The one we mostly see that Dahmer took is really bad too. The poor fellow in the bathtub. The MacDonald photos are nasty too. But I think the worst is Black Dahlia.

*runs*...thanks for the welcome anyway.

Lord Lucan,

They are all haunting images, but yes, our curiosity gets the better of us, and when we take an interest in things so gruesome, these images are part and parcel of becoming informed.
                      Afterall, we are on a board discussing a murderer who murdered in a shocking manner, but that ought to be enough warning for anyone that Ripperology is no fairy tale.

I'm interested in serial killers because I want to understand WHY. I just assumed that the HOW was horrible, without getting more involved in it. Now I saw. I guess at least I learned on my self that I can't bear to see that, but I'm glad I actually didn't faint (I was sure that seeing such things would get me fainting).

I guess there must be a good medium, when you aren't overly sensitive like me(I can't stand seeing anorexic people for example, it's like seeing real living deads), but not too cold either.

Thanks everyone, but I guess that if I can't go further, I won't become a good member. Have fun and long life to you all.

Comment

Oh well,folks!...you can't win 'em all!!!!

Comment

Elizabeth Short's photos are definitely much more horrifying to me than Mary Kelly's, but then, I wonder if that isn't because there are simply more photos of Beth Short, more detailed photos of Beth Short, and they had better cameras by the 1940's, so the focus is many times better... Also, they'd have had much better conditions for photography in the morgue than were obtaining in Miller's Court.

I can recall exactly where I was the first time I saw the photo of Mary Kelly -- on my sofa, watching a documentary on TV, which I think was possibly Timewatch. No disclaimer was offered, and <poof!> suddenly there she was on my TV screen, to my absolute and abject horror. I was literally frozen to the spot for the rest of the show. (I knew it was bad, but good gravy -- I didn't know it was like that!)

For a very long time I had her photo covered up in post-it notes in books I had, and if I visited her page here on Casebook, I'd let the text load and then stop the page loading before the photos loaded.

The way one Black Dahlia site I used to visit did it was, you had to click on a separate (visibly "you've been warned") link before you could view the really bad photos of Beth. (I think the photos then popped up in a separate window -- in any case it was nice to be able to read the information without grossing half the public library out, lol!)

Oddly, Suzi posted a series of pics of Mary that she'd run through "Paint" to highlight this and that -- and turned one upright, which is when I realised (after 20 years!) I actually could pick out what was left of Mary's facial features. And after that, honestly, the poor dear got a lot easier to look at. (To the loss of the people who make post-it notes... )
                          ~ Khanada

I laugh in the face of danger. Then I run and hide until it goes away.

Comment

The photographs are graphic, but viewed within the context of this site they are not distastefully displayed. I am of the view that autopsy or crime scene photographs should never be disclosed to the public. However, after such a considerable length of time, their use in an academic forum such as this does not seem disrespectful.

With that said, I would not want children or the faint of heart viewing them, and those seeking cheep visual thrills should not be here. A 'warning' pop up or other such disclaimer does not seem to be unreasonable, but I question whether or not it would be effective. As graphic as the pictures are, there are far more gruesome pics on the net for kids to find. However, the warning would give those, such as ckz at least a moment to brace themselves.

Comment

Working...
                            X