Ripper Convention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripper Convention

I heard a while back that there was a photo of Francis Tumblety that was going to be shown for the first time at the Ripper Convention. I was unable to attend, unfortunately, but heard (from an un-reliable source, unfortunately) that there was a wealth of photos unveiled. Is there any truth to the Tumblety photo, and if so when will Casebook be getting a scan for all of us that missed the convention?
    Cheers,

Ryan Miller

Ryan

The Tumblety photo was reproduced for the first time in Ripperologist recently and Tim Riordan (I think I got that right) was giving a talk about Tumblety at the conference that included that image. Riordan, I believe, is responsible for the discovery.

The other major scoop is the photo of Dutfield's Yard currently being talked about on another thread.

There were some other new revelations at the conference, but I guess that is for those responsible to discuss when they're ready.

JB

Comment

Hey Ryan,

Your unreliable source sounds pretty reliable, at least on this topic. There were a large number of rarely seen photos, including several that were completely new. The most significant one is being discussed over in the Dutfields Yard interior photograph, 1900 thread. The Tumblety photo was also displayed, but I'm not sure when it'll make it over to these boards, as so far the only people with direct access to it that I know of had signed a limited use license with the historical society at which Timothy Riordan found it.

(Or I guess I could have just said "What John said" if I'd seen that he'd written that reply before I wrote mine.)

Dan Norder
      Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
      Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

Thank you so much for that information. I guess people surprise us every now and then with a little truthful information. That is all very exciting to hear, and I guess now its just a matter of waiting until it is posted. Thanks again
        Cheers,

Ryan Miller

Comment

I am sure if you wanted to, you could contact Ripperologist and ask for a one-time order for a back subscription of that particular issue. It's definitely worth seeing if you are interested.

Let all Oz be agreed;
          I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Hi Ally,
            I am very interested in finding that issue. I was on the Ripperologist webpage concerning back issues, then it struck me, I don't know which issue the photo was in. Do you by any chance, know the issue number?
            Cheers,

Ryan Miller

Comment

It was issue #92. From June.

Here's the link to the discussion about it if you are interested in reading.

Let all Oz be agreed;
              I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Thank you so much for your help.
                Cheers,

Ryan Miller

Comment

Hi Ryan,

After you read the Ripperologist article that has the photo of Tumblety, you might be interested in listening to the podcast in which Tim Riordan is interviewed. He discusses the discovery of the photograph in more length than what appeared in the article, and goes into many aspects of Tumblety's biography.

It's episode #24- A Portrait of Francis Tumblety

The podcast is free, btw.

Subscribe into iTunes by clicking the purple button, or stream it from the episode's page.

JM

Comment

Hi Johnathan,
                    I've got every episode of your podcast downloaded on my ipod, and it definitely helps get me through my day at work. I listen to however many episodes i can fit into the 8 hours of my day. You all have great insight into the case and I have learned a great deal thanks to your ideas, suggestions, and theories. I especially enjoyed the last podcast on the "Double Event", and was wondering if you plan on doing a specific podcast for each of the victims? I noticed you have one on Liz Stride, the Double Event, and Polly Nichols, and was wondering if you have any plans to discuss Mary Jane Kelly. Keep up the great work, and I look forward to hearing you and the crews future podcasts.
                    Cheers,

Ryan Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan_Miller View Post
                      I especially enjoyed the last podcast on the "Double Event", and was wondering if you plan on doing a specific podcast for each of the victims? I noticed you have one on Liz Stride, the Double Event, and Polly Nichols, and was wondering if you have any plans to discuss Mary Jane Kelly.
                      Thanks Ryan,

We've done an Eddowes victim show (with Neil Bell, Mitre Square Revisited) and a Tabram show (A Perfect Savage). We'll return to these cases from time to time.

The thought hadn't occurred to us to leave Mary Kelly out of the podcast, so yes, there will eventually be a Mary Kelly show. That might be something we could talk with Chris Scott about.

JM

Comment

Working...
                      X