Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cryptic Theory of Montagu Williams

Back in 2006 AP posted the followubg:
    This extract is taken from ‘Leaves of a Life: being the reminiscences of Montagu Williams’ published in London and New York in 1890.
    What caught my attention is how the name of the official informant is blanked out, as is the reference to an investigation and murder.

The passage below I typed up today and thought I'd post:
    Bristol Mercury
    24 December 1892

From an obituary article about Montagu Williams.
    He (Williams) also took some credit to himself for having helped to stay Jack the Ripper's hand. An unknown visitor revealed to Mr Williams a theory of the murders which struck him "as being remarkably ingenious and worthy of the closest attention." Mr Williams did not publish the theory. "Nothing," he wrote in "Later Leaves," "has occurred to prove it fallacious during the many months that have elapsed since the last of this terrible series of crimes. As I have said, I cannot take the reader into my confidence in this matter, as possibly, in doing so, I might be hampering the future course of justice. One statement, however, I may make, and, inasmuch as it is calculated to allay public fears, I do so with great pleasure. The cessation of the East End murders dates from the time when certain action was taken as a result of the promulgation of these ideas," Mr Williams held that the police force, in its ability to detect crime, has detoriated considerably. Since "Later Leaves" was published a woman was murdered in Whitechapel, for which crime, it may be remembered, a man named Sadler was arrested, but afterwards acquitted.

The following article gives details of Williams's theory

Birmingham Daily Post
    22 February 1892
    Attached Files

Comment

Bit more about Montagu Williams on the link above.

And also here.

He seemed to get about a bit, did our Monty!

Cheers,

Graham
      Last edited by Graham; 10-12-2008, 10:35 PM.
      We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

There's more information on the "informant" (Edward Knight Larkins) and his theory in chapter 24 of "The Ultimate JTR Sourcebook", by Evans and Skinner.

Comment

Hi Chris,

I can't help thinking that I've come across Montagu Williams in another context, reference the Ripper...

Cheers,

Graham
          We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Hi Graham

I have 3 of Montague Williams biographies - and without going the to grab them from the shelf - I seem to remember that he states - as a magistrate in the East End he thinks that if JTR was caught- he would be the first 'legal guy' to be confronted by JTR. If I have got this correct Montagu Williams then went and did a 'sortie'. of the East End.

He also did a great 'article' on Victoria House where George Hutchinson lodged.

Coral

Must read the books again.

Comment

Working...
            X