Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jack the Ripper: The Final Solution (1980)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack the Ripper: The Final Solution (1980)

I just discovered this as one of the "easter eggs" on the DVD From Hell, so I watched it this after noon. I left the darn thing simply thinking "What on Earth????"

I mean they couldn't even match the correct photo with the correct victim!!!! The even claim that one of Sickert's paintings is a portrait of MJK, and was used by Gull & Co. to find her back in 1888!!! First of all, the picture they showed us in reference to this statement barely even looks like a woman!

Has anyone else seen this sad excuse for a documentary????

Hi SOMK,

Yes, I watched it on my copy of From Hell. Since it was the Knight thing, I didn't expect much and just viewed it as a piece of Ripperology history. It was slightly interesting in that sense, I think. I don't know where it first played but I'm sure someone on here does.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Factually it's a mess, but as a bit of lurid entertainment I rather like it - the almost Hammer Horror style music, the wonderfully cheesey voiceover, Mr Knight being everso earnest... It's trash, but it's fun trash.

B.
      Bailey
      Wellington, New Zealand
      hoodoo@xtra.co.nz
      www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsephotographic/

Comment

The one (well, two) single thing(s) we have to thank this documentary for is for footage of Mitre Square as it no longer looks and, of course, the Goulston Street doorway before it was all changed in the earl 1990s.

PHILIP
        Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

And the nice shots of Gull's grave - perhaps less so for those who are in the vicinity and can see it in the flesh, but from the other side of the world it's a bonus.

B.
          Bailey
          Wellington, New Zealand
          hoodoo@xtra.co.nz

Comment

A VHS copy of this documentary is up on ebay should anyone fancy buying it. I would but I can't find the power lead for my old video recorder...
            Roll up the lino, Mother. We're raising Behemoth tonight!

Comment

I have both the VHS of this, and the easter egg from the 2 disk "From Hell" edition. The thing I had most against this documentary is the completely wrong, I'd say unrepentantly altered street map of Whitechapel. Other than that I can forgive most of the errors. All documentaries have errors, but the map was a manufactured error the blame for which lays solely on the makes of the documentary. Other than that it's a fun little ride. The Royal/Masonic conspiracy theory is my favorite Ripper fiction.

Incidentally, none of my VCR's work, so to watch it I only have the option of the 2nd "From Hell" disk. Maybe I'll eBay my VHS copy, which is where I got it from anyway.
              Last edited by BillyE; 10-20-2008, 09:06 PM. Reason: Adding further text.
              "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill

Comment

Where abouts on the second disc is the easter egg? I've never thought to look for one!
                " Queen Vic lured her victims into dark corners with offers of free fish and chips, washed down with White Satin." - forum user C4

Comment

Originally posted by Bailey View Post
                  And the nice shots of Gull's grave - perhaps less so for those who are in the vicinity and can see it in the flesh, but from the other side of the world it's a bonus.

B.
                  It's just too bad that Gull's grave is empty

Comment

Can't remember exactly off the top of my head, but you have to move the "cursor" around until it highlights one of the knives in the surgical case on the menu screen, then hit enter. From memory, you go all the way to the bottm then hit left or right, but play around a bit and you'll find it.

B.
                    Bailey
                    Wellington, New Zealand
                    hoodoo@xtra.co.nz

Comment

Never knew there was an easter egg.

Eeggs.com says: "On the disc two move the selector onto the entry for "absinthe makes the heart grow fonder". Now push "down" followed by "right" on the remote to highlight one of the surgical instruments. If you select this icon you'll be taken to the full interview with Stephen Knight (clips are shown in the 6 degrees interactive documentary). Note that the original starting point for your selector is immaterial, you only need to move DOWN onto the "6 degrees of separation" before pressing RIGHT..."

I'm not at home, though, so I can't try it.

Comment

I've just tried this on my PC and it's not working. I've tried highlighting all the surgical instruments as well but nada. Gonna give it a whirl in my 360 later and see if that makes a difference.
                        " Queen Vic lured her victims into dark corners with offers of free fish and chips, washed down with White Satin." - forum user C4

Comment

Still no joy. What region are your DVDs? Mine's region 2.

Comment

I have the same problem, i own the R2 version and can't access The Final Solution ...perhaps its only on the R1 US release!!!

Comment

I had this on VHS originally -- and kept it for the comedy...

I was very pleased to find it as an Easter egg on From Hell, since by that time my VCR had died, and even if it hadn't, my VHS copy had lit out for the hills. It was just as awful as I remembered.
                              ~ Khanada

I laugh in the face of danger. Then I run and hide until it goes away.

Comment

Working...
                              X