Face in the window?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Face in the window?

Hope this hasn't been endlessly debated already, but I spotted this ghostly face peering out of one of the lower panes in the window.
    Attached Files

I can't remember if this photograph was taken on the day of the murder. If so, it could possibly be a real person, maybe one of the investigators sitting down and taking notes or something.

Comment

Originally posted by nickspry View Post
      Hope this hasn't been endlessly debated already, but I spotted this ghostly face peering out of one of the lower panes in the window.
      Hi Nick, and welcome. This has indeed been discussed previously, but before your time and before the server crash earlier this year. Here's a colourised version I did back in April '07, with the background faded out to enhance the contrast of the "face" itself:

Click image for larger version

Name:	face.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	655026

It's almost certainly a trompe l'oeil, or some sort of photographic defect, in my view.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Nothing more than a simulcra or matrixing.

It is lot's of randomness colliding to create a something, which is nothing.
        Regards Mike

Comment

Ive spotted what appears to be a drip pan of some sort!
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch Rowe View Post
            Ive spotted what appears to be a drip pan of some sort!

Regards Mike

Comment

Different face?

Hi Sam,
              thanks for the reply. The face I see is not the same as yours. I guess this goes to show that the brain is capable of interpreting a single image in more than one way. I did some messing around with contrast/colour in photoshop and here's my enhanced version. Let me know what you think...

Regards,

Nick
              Attached Files

Comment

Larger version

Sorry, that came out a little small. Hopefully this will be better...
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by nickspry View Post
                  The face I see is not the same as yours. I guess this goes to show that the brain is capable of interpreting a single image in more than one way.
                  I think you've just hit the nail on the head, there, Nick Cheers!
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Regards Mike

Comment

The 'drip-pan' is without a doubt Diddles' cat-loo.

Graham
                      We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Of course!!! hehe If there were 'something' in that window though I wouldn't be surprised!

Actually looking back at that pic- perhaps the row ended with Mary having her face shoved against the window left- hence the imprint on the dust!!!! NOT such a daft thought...................

Come on------there's NOTHING on the window! BUT- it could just be the reflection of the person taking it maybe!!!! Ho hum.........
                        Last edited by Suzi; 10-05-2008, 12:38 AM.
                        'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Hi all.

Ah, the window photo - back to haunt us again!

Mitch - the drip-pan has been discussed at great length and the common view is that it is the photographer's (presumably Joseph Martin) developing pan. It is, after all, almost underneath the broken window pane through which he shot MJK1/2. Forgive me if I'm wrong here but isn't it true that the famous MJK shot was taken from outside before access was gained? Certainly, with the dimensions of the room, a full-length image from inside the door would have been impossible without extreme lens distortion.

Also, of course, Brenda, this would have ruled out the idea of someone being in the room when it was taken. Access came when permission was granted to open the locked room at 1:30pm and it is highly likely that Martin took this exterior image somewhere between 11:30am and 1:30pm.

In layman's parlance, the faces you are seeing are sometimes called 'The Man In The Moon Effect'. Anything vaguely round with two dots above a more central lower dot will make a face.

PHILIP
                          Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
                            Anything vaguely round with two dots above a more central lower dot will make a face...
                            ...something which baboons exploit to the fullest advantage when walking backwards.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post

Mitch - the drip-pan has been discussed at great length and the common view is that it is the photographer's (presumably Joseph Martin) developing pan. It is, after all, almost underneath the broken window pane through which he shot MJK1/2. Forgive me if I'm wrong here but isn't it true that the famous MJK shot was taken from outside before access was gained? Certainly, with the dimensions of the room, a full-length image from inside the door would have been impossible without extreme lens distortion.
                              Didn't they remove the whole window frame to take the photo? I'm sure I've read that somewhere.

And while I know very little about old-fangled film photography, being a product of the digital age, surely there would be no need for a developing pan on-site? Doesn't that stuff need to be done in a darkroom? I may well know the answer to this somewhere in the clutter of my brain from my reading on the history of photography, but I assume someone like RJM or Mr Clack might be able to answer. Never mind what Hutchinson says, he's utterly unreliable, and not to be trusted

Cheers,
                              B.
                              Bailey
                              Wellington, New Zealand
                              hoodoo@xtra.co.nz
                              www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsephotographic/

Comment

Working...
                              X