london census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• london census

can anyone tell me how can i consult 1888 london census in order to have a better idea of population and professions in east london at the time of the murders?
    Thank you in advance.

Hi RC,

There was no census in 1888, I'm afraid. The census is held every 10 years, in the first year of each new decade - hence the nearest census to 1888 was that taken in 1891, the one before that in 1881. However, you can find either or both censuses via Familysearch.org, freebmd or Ancestry.com. The 1881 Census may be searched free of charge on the latter site - you have to pay for access to the others. Fortunately, the one census Ancestry.com has indexed for professions is the 1881 version!
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

thank you Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
        Hi RC,

There was no census in 1888, I'm afraid. The census is held every 10 years, in the first year of each new decade - hence the nearest census to 1888 was that taken in 1891, the one before that in 1881. However, you can find either or both censuses via Familysearch.org, freebmd or Ancestry.com. The 1881 Census may be searched free of charge on the latter site - you have to pay for access to the others. Fortunately, the one census Ancestry.com has indexed for professions is the 1881 version!
        Hi Sam & R.C.

http://www.census1891.com/ has an extensive list of Victorian occupations and a searchable database of part of the 1891 London Census, particularly the areas around the JtR murder sites.

Regards.

Lawson

Comment

Re free census info, in addition to the LDS site which provides free transcripts (but no images) of 1881, there is also a volunteer site which is making steady progress :

Use FreeCEN to access 19th Century UK Censuses online and for free. You can use FreeCEN transcriptions to discover your ancestors' occupation, family history and household information.

Plus, it is possible to search the 1901 for occupations, though you have to pay for images :

Trace your ancestry and build a family tree by researching extensive birth records, census data, obituaries and more - over 5 billion records - start today!

Comment

Thanks, Lawson for that link. Likewise, Rob.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Working...
            X