Millers Court Today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millers Court Today.

What exactly is this? Is this where the original entrance to Millers Court or something else? Thanks.

Hi - that's from the website of the company I guide for. That's the exact spot (give or take a foot) of the murder of MJK - in short, it's where her bed was inside #13.

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Thanks for that, I was always under the impression that it was the archway that led to Millers Court.

Comment

I thought it was the archway too.

What are the stone bits from, then? Are they part of the original room?
        Roll up the lino, Mother. We're raising Behemoth tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by steje73 View Post
          What are the stone bits from, then? Are they part of the original room?
          They're concrete kerb-stones. Nothing at all remains of the original Miller's Court - or Dorset Street, for that matter. The northern side of the street and the alleys running off it, including Miller's Court, were demolished in the late 1920s. The southern side of Dorset Street was finally flattened in the 1960s.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Oh right. Of course not, it was 120 years ago.
            Roll up the lino, Mother. We're raising Behemoth tonight!

Comment

Hi gents

The archway was actually in the middle of the current road. People are often under the mistaken impression that the line of buildings today follows the line of the Dorset Street buildings. They don't.

PHILIP

Comment

Hello all,

This thread is a perfect place for me to pose this question. I'm going to be visiting London and taking a solo Ripper tour in about six months, and before the crash on this board there was a thread that talked about new imminent changes to the area, particularly to the old site of Miller's Court. I was there in 2004 and took the Donald Rumbelow tour and saw what I understand to be a fruit warehouse at that site, with the actual murder site still outdoors, but now apparently there are plans to refurbish once again in a way that will leave a new building covering up the site. Does anyone know exactly when this is slated to happen? I'm going to be there in September and I strongly hope the place isn't a cordoned-off construction site then.

Comment

Hi Kensei,
                  Originally posted by kensei View Post
                  before the crash on this board there was a thread that talked about new imminent changes to the area, particularly to the old site of Miller's Court.
                  I thought that thread warned of a new office block in Goulston Street - and that was at the southern end, well away from the site of the graffito. I can't remember anyone mentioning the re(re(re))development of "Miller's Court".
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Yeh I posted that original thread..

The proposal was to demolish both the White Row car park and the fruit exchange and in its place build an office block straddling both. This would mean the site of Millers Ct would be inside the building itself.

It was approved in principal, but the planners didnt like the architecture of the proposed building in comparision with older buildings in the area.

This info is available on the Tower Hamlets planning website.

Kevin

Comment

Thanks for putting me straight on that one, Kevin.

Kensei - you was rite, Dear Old Boss, and I was wrong
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

The only possible benefit that could ever come from that happening would be the possible uncovering of any remaining foundations of the buildings of Dorset Street - surely they had cellars? Actually... did they? We've never discussed this one.

PHILIP

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                          Thanks for putting me straight on that one, Kevin.

Kensei - you was rite, Dear Old Boss, and I was wrong
                          Quite all right Sam.

I remember being at the site at the end of the Rumbelow tour. It was around 10:30 at night and I was thinking that there should be such an eerie or somber feeling, but there were fifty fellow tourists standing around debating things with Donald and he was doing his best to sell books and it was all very distracting. Definitely didn't feel like I was standing on the spot where Mary died and where Abberline knelt down to probe the fireplace. Can anyone share the feelings they've had while visiting the site alone?

Comment

Here we go..a couple of pics from the pre digital age photos of photos but it should give you an idea-
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	mc1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	652652

Click image for larger version

Name:	mc2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	652653
                            Philip- The point about the cellars is a tantalising one...........I'm sure that McC's house had one without a doubt
                            Last edited by Suzi; 02-24-2008, 02:28 PM.
                            'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Working...
                            X