George Lusk.... as a suspect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Lusk.... as a suspect

Has anyone had any suspictions about George Lusk as a suspect? He matches the descriptions of the killer, though not in age. And the sending of the From Hell letter, the kidney, and forming the vigilance commitee would be a perfect cover for himself. He was a freemason so it may be a clue to the murders, ie the throwing of the intestines over the shoulders, the GST etc. I know there is nothing more than that but it is worth a thought, I suppose.... maybe....

Best regards to all

Adam
    Last edited by Uncle Jack; 09-18-2008, 12:33 PM.
    Best regards,
    Adam

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

A lot of people have had the idea, but it really doesn't pan out. However, he MAY have had a hand in the hoaxing of the From Hell/ Lusk kidney.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

He's still my favourite suspect. In addition to the above he had local knowledge, a 'crusading zeal' and good relations with the police. If he wasn't the Ripper then I think he had a part to play in the killings.

We don't know enough about this character.

Comment

Originally posted by Julius View Post
        We don't know enough about this character.
        We now enough - he was a comparatively prosperous businessman, who lived in a respectable neighbourhood¹ some two miles away from the epicentre of the Ripper murders. In 1888 he was in his mid/late 40s, was widowed, and had a sizeable young family to look after. A less likely Ripper is hard to imagine.

¹ The occupants of Alderney Road were classified as "Well-to-do, Middle Class" in Charles Booth's 1889 survey.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Gareth,

It would seem that he wasnt that prosperous from 88 onwards, as he filed for bankruptcy some years later.
          Toms suggestion that some think Lusk faked the From Hell is a new one on me. I think such an idea would have been hard to pull off and I cannot see why he would do so.

Monty
          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
            It would seem that he wasnt that prosperous from 88 onwards, as he filed for bankruptcy some years later.
            Indeed, Neil, in 1891. Lusk seems to have been alright in 1888, if his elected status in the Vigilance Committee was anything to go by, as a result of which he'd possibly have hobnobbed with the likes of Charrington. As we know, Lusk made representations to Parliament in the Autumn of '88, so even if his business was creaking at the time, perhaps he didn't let it show.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hi Monty,

I think Tom is spot-on.

Lusk's Vigilance Committee was in need of funds, and sold the kidney/"From Hell" letter story to the Evening News before turning in the "evidence" to the cops.

East London Observer, 13th October 1888—

"Unfortunately, however, for the realisation of their hopes, experience had proved that those to whom they appealed were more ready to commend than to co-operate. Excluding one or two subscriptions of considerable amounts they have been compelled to admit that funds have not 'rolled' in."

The Star, 20th October 1888—

Easy to Hoax the Police - The Kidney Story.

"As a motive for the disgusting hoax of the kidney, it is suggested that the person who sent it to its recipient desired to keep up the excitement about the crimes. We are now informed that the information of the receipt of the parcel was sold at a high figure, so that the hoax does not appear so stupid as it seemed at first."

Regards,

Simon
              Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Absolutely. I think he over reached himself, too many pies not enough fingers. 88 was the begining of some turbulent years for him, starting with the death of his wife.

As his books and records were investigated, there is an indication things werent right business wise.
                Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Hi all

I cannot remember the exact details, but wasn't the From Hell letter rather vaguely addressed? Surely if anyone in Lusk's circle, be it Lusk or one of his associates, wanted to spring a hoax, they'd have been eager to make sure that the letter was precisely addressed (and they'd have known Lusk's address).

Comment

Why lusk ??? and you don't do think that the hero of sophie herfort's novel would been a good suspect as well too ??? (mac naghten ???)

Comment

Hi Robert,

The "From Hell" letter was inside the box containing the kidney.

I can only assume that the box was properly addressed.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Whether Tom Wescott's rationale for mentioning Lusk in the context of a faked kidney being sent to him involves what Simon Wood mentioned ( to increase funding,etc..) I don't know .

What could be a rationale for considering Lusk was "involved' in some way is that one of his friends played a rather sordid joke on him...and nothing more than that.

This sort of "sending organs' or displaying them to unwitting parties is not new and there is evidence in America ( in West Philadelphia,to be precise ) where university students left various body parts on porches just to get a rise out of their neighbors 10 years or so prior to the Lusk Letter..

Comment

Hi Howard,

Why are you reluctant to include Lusk in the possible hoax?

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Hi Simon

I have now checked Sugden. The parcel bore no house number. If I wanted to send myself a package, I'd want to make sure that it reached me.

Comment

Hi Robert,

But the box did arrive at Lusk's house. Allegedly. One up for the Post Office.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Working...
                              X