Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Leon Goldstein left "holding the bag?"

Hello all,

Historically the man with the black bag took root for a short while after Fanny Mortimer reported seeing a man with a Black Bag hurry past the club, only glancing towards it in passing. Coupled with Mathew Packers gent, for a brief time it appeared as if a "toff" might be the culprit.

We subsequently learn that Mathew Packer is inconsistent at best, likely motivated by reward monies, and the man who Fanny saw was Leon Goldstein, a member of the club, but on his way home with a satchel full of empty cigarette packages. Interesting to note that several cottagers claimed to be awake at that time, and some were cigarette makers...who used empty packages.
    He was translated for by I believe Mr Wess, the editor of the Arbeter Fraint....and another odd interesting detail about Wess, he is the first person to testify at Liz Strides Inquest and may have translated for Schwartz.

But we also have several other witness statements regarding unusual activity of gents with black bags, one is a man in his 60's who while being booked tells the desk sargeant he could cut his head off and put it back on without anyone knowing it had been done. Needless to say, his noodle was suspected soggy.

The thread point is.....although we have reason to dismiss the man seen by Fanny as benign that evening, and we can safely set aside Mr Packers toff.....should we be so convinced that someone else who reported seeing a suspicious Black Bag carrying man acting odd didnt perhaps meet the killer? Like the Batty Street Lodger...I believe he left a bag, there is the one supposedly linked with Maybrick found elsewhere, and a few possible potential victim accounts. The man who Sarah Lewis said approached her a few days before Marys death.

Does Fannys sighting and subsequent setting aside of Goldstein really lay to rest the issue of Jacks "bag"?

Best regards all.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-11-2008, 12:22 AM.

An important addition to the 'black bag' saga would have to be - your friend and mine - Albert Bachert. This Whitechapel stalwart made his Ripperological debut with a sighting of a suspicious character at the Three Nuns. His debut coincided with that of Le Grand and Packer, for what it's worth. I mention this because they have some interesting parallels, the most obvious of which being that they operated with the same vigilance committee at different times. I believe Bachert may have been involved with a DIFFERENT vigilance committee at the time of the double event...one which operated in the Three Nuns.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Absolutely Tom, and an interesting note on the Three Nuns base for a vigilence committee.

The reason I posted this is not because I believe he was a medical man, ...Im not sure what he did but I doubt he was a professional man. Its the bag itself. A Gladstone and a cape or evening coat might seem a professional type, but not actually be one, and bags are sure handy for carrying stuff.

Cheers Tom.

Comment

Working...
      X