Druitt's mother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Druitt's mother

Does anybody have information on the specifics of her diagnosis? I know she was supposedly "mad" but I'm curious what symptoms she displayed.

It seems if Druitt was afraid he was becoming "like mother," this might be useful information to know.

From the description of her symptoms my guess is that Ann Druitt suffered from paranoid schizophrenia.

Comment

Originally posted by aspallek View Post
      From the description of her symptoms my guess is that Ann Druitt suffered from paranoid schizophrenia.
      'Since Friday I felt I was going to be like mother, and the best thing for me was to die.',if your correct in saying it was paranoid schizophrenia and MJD thought he was suffering from it that would make him more suspect imo.
      Last edited by Doppelganger; 09-02-2008, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Doppelganger View Post
        'Since Friday I felt I was going to be like mother, and the best thing for me was to die.',if your correct in saying it was paranoid schizophrenia and MJD thought he was suffering from it that would make him more suspect imo.
        Yes, I think there was a lot going on there. Of course, I don't know if the term "paranoid schizophrenia" was used in 1888 or if that was the specific diagnosis but judging from what we know of her symptoms that seems to be what Ann Druitt suffered from. Add to that the stage production of Dr. Jekyl and the sensation it caused and Montague Druitt's likely unbalanced mind, suffering at least from depression in all likelihood, and all sorts of things may have been going on in his head.

Comment

Hi Dopp,

I'm inclined to disagree. If he was responsible for the Whitechapel murders, why would it only dawn upon him that Friday that something was wrong with him? Also, if his mother's mental illness had never manifested itself in physical violence of any other kind of abuse, why equate her behaviour with murder and mutilation?

Regards,
          Ben

Comment

Hi Ben --

Well certainly there must have been more to it then mother's illness. That's only one piece of the puzzle. But mother did attempt suicide (and Montague's sister succeeded in doing so as an elderly woman) and, I believe, did display certain violent tendencies. The "since Friday" part of the letter obviously refers to Druitt's being sacked, which must have been a crushing blow to him. The murders, on the other hand, if he did commit them, were "triumphs" for him and "proof" of his "superiority." Far from convincing him that he was mad, they would have been for him confirmation of his superior intellect.

What I am saying is that the mental condition of his mother, his own depression, and the various societal elements regarding the advent of psychology as evidenced and typified by "Dr. Jekyl..." may have been factors playing on the mind of an already-ill Montague Druitt. Certainly not provable, but possible.

Comment

Hi chaps -

I'm not sure the idea entirely sustains itself, but I have often wondered whether, when Monty said that he was going to be "like mother" (if indeed this is what he did say), he might have meant that he was worried about being "a living embarrassment to the family". This would perhaps link the suicide with its immediate proximal cause - dismissal from his job, perhaps for behaviour which stepped outside the usual social boundaries.

Not saying this is gospel, of course, or even a better interpretation than the traditional one, but it's certainly an alternative.

Regards,

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by aspallek View Post
                Hi Ben --

Well certainly there must have been more to it then mother's illness. That's , did display certain violent tendencies. The "since Friday" part of the letter obviously refers to Druitt's being sacked, which must have been a crushing blow to him. The murders, on the other hand, if he did commit them, were "triumphs" for him and "proof" of his "superiority." Far from convincing him that he was mad, they would have been for him confirmation of his superior intellect.
                not provable, but possible.
                Since friday-yes ..but which friday?No-one can be sure that letter was ever written,and certainly not when.I feel the condensed version of A letter,conveniently providing an "excuse" or reason for suicide was a little bit of "jiggery pokery" designed by the family to head off further questions being asked.My feeling is there was a very good reason for so doing.
                regards

Comment

Dougie, I think the 'since Friday' letter was found amongst Druitt's belongings at Mr Valentine's school.

Maybe someone with greater knowledge than I can confirm this?

Cheers,

Graham
                  We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Graham,
                    Well if its been found,I admit I have no knowledge of it.....but if it has been found is there any reason why we cant read the full text of it and not just a condensed version?Maybe then definite conclusions could be drawn from that letter,and not mere assumptions.
                    regards

Comment

Dougie,

I can only refer you to the A-Z on this. All the A-Z says is that Druitt left a letter for Mr Valentine alluding to his planned suicide, and a note for his brother with words to the effect that he 'felt he was going to be like mother', etc. The A-Z says that the wording of the note to his brother comes from two press-reports, which were not 'direct quotations'. However, on the old boards, I'm sure someone stated with confidence that these two letters were definitely found in Druitts belongings by the police.

Doubtless someone will post more info about this.

Cheers,

Graham
                      We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                        Dougie,

I can only refer you to the A-Z on this. All the A-Z says is that Druitt left a letter for Mr Valentine alluding to his planned suicide, and a note for his brother with words to the effect that he 'felt he was going to be like mother', etc. The A-Z says that the wording of the note to his brother comes from two press-reports, which were not 'direct quotations'. However, on the old boards, I'm sure someone stated with confidence that these two letters were definitely found in Druitts belongings by the police.

Doubtless someone will post more info about this.

Cheers,

Graham
                        Graham,
                        It seems odd that there is no surviving full text original or copy of either of those letters somewhere.(to my knowledge anyhow) Letters written by a prime suspect on "the eve" of said suspects suicide are no more.....indeed it appears no-one (publicly) knew exactly what the note consisted of at the time either.Is that indicative of a family conspiracy perhaps? ,especially as according to mcnaughton ,who as we know,stated montagues own family suspected druitt.Was indeed that very same note the evidence mcnaughton said he destroyed?Isnt it just a bit too convenient that the only public knowledge of druitts suicide note is a condensed sentence?Does anyone seriously believe that was all he wrote?and if it was then why wasnt it presented as such....a suicide note consisting of one single sentence which says basically "im nuts ,im topping myself"?........
                        As for the message to Valentine,again what does it consist of? does anyone know?......the full content that is.
                        regards

Comment

I think the story goes that Druitt's brother shared the contents of the letter, but wouldn't turn it over to the police as it was personal. I don't know that this was a verbatim rendition of the message, but maybe just a paraphrasing.
                          Since Druitt wasn't a suspect, this would make sense that the family was allowed to keep things to themselves a bit after a brief explanation.

Cheers,

Mike
                          huh?

Comment

How comes everyone says that Druitt was a doctor when he was a barrister?
                            For some reason the research on him is not up to scratch as when people do find out history about him they say he was from Lincoln's Inn but in fact he was based in Kings Bench Walk in the Temple!!!

Comment

And some times I read he lived in Blackheath, and other times I read he lived in King's Bench Walk ! What to believe then ? I even read in Sophie Herfort's book that MJD received anonymous letters which threatened him to reveal to the police that he was Jack the Ripper. Those letters might have caused his suicide...

Comment

Working...
                              X