Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did The Ripper Wear "Cricketing Shoes" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did The Ripper Wear "Cricketing Shoes" ?

Greetings All,
    Way back on the 1st July 2008, on the " General Discussions Site >Suspects>Ostrog, Michael", the inimitable Chris Scott posted details of one of Ostrog's many arrests for theft.The thread is titled " 1887 Case".
    In this, Ostrog, presumeably under an alias, "Claude Clayton" was arrested for stealing a metal tankard from the Cadet's quarters at the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich, on the 19 th July, 1887.
    Persued by keen cadets "Clayton" was arrested by P.C. Mulvey ( P.C.R209).
    In describing the prisoner, P.C. Mulvey described him as wearing " cricketing shoes". A previous witness described them as " India rubber tennis shoes".
    If Druitt was the Ripper, I wonder might he have worn " India rubber cricketing shoes" for quieter movement?
    We cannot answer this point with much certainty, but, to me, this just adds one tiny further factor to the mix. JOHN RUFFELS.

The only problem with Druitt being the Ripper is that he was in Bournmouth at the time of the murders, as far as I am aware.
    Best regards,
    Adam

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

Comment

Hi John,

I'm not sure when the practice started, but cricket shoes have long had metal spikes/studs inlaid into the soles, and aren't the sort of thing to wear if you wish to creep around unheard.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Jack View Post
        The only problem with Druitt being the Ripper is that he was in Bournmouth at the time of the murders, as far as I am aware.
        Certainly a claim to this effect (or something like it) has been published recently, but as the alleged evidence is still under wraps it's impossible to evaluate.

I think it's important that unsubstantiated claims don't become accepted by a kind of process of osmosis, without any evidence ever being presented for them.

Comment

Well perhaps Jack the Ripper wore Indian Rubber Running Shoes!
          Regards Mike

Comment

Apart from the whole Bournemouth situation, there are a lot of problems with MJ Druitt as a Ripper suspect ie: the lack of evidence for him as a candidate. Aside from him committing suicide after the C5 murders and Macnaghtan's rather dubious claims, there is really nothing to say he was the Ripper. While the claims that Druitt was playing cricket at the time of the murders isn't 100% conclusive, it is pretty safe to say that he was.
            Best regards,
            Adam

Comment

Pizer was a slipper maker by trade. The ladies claimed he could walk right up to them without a sound and then attempt to extort money from them.
              I wonder if slaughterers wore rubber souled type shoes in order to prevent slipping on blood. I dont think I could put on a pair of old cowboy boots and expect to have much control while walking on a bloody floor.

Comment

Hi everyone,
                The information that Ostrog stole a tankard from the Cadet's quarters at the Military Academy at Woolwich,is quite interesting.
                As you know,I live in the area.
                The Academy itself is situated on Woolwich Common.The Cadet's quarters are seperate to the academy,and were located on the hill that leads up from Wellington Street,(where the Town Hall is,and where the victims of the Princess Alice were laid out).
                The main bulk of the army silver would have been down at the large academy,as it was used for military dinners.The rest would be cups and medals etc which were displayed in glass cases.The Academy parade ground is currently being torn up for an equestrian event for the Olympics.
                The army have recently left Woolwich,but the Cadets quarters still stand.
                These quarters are towards Charlton..under ten minutes from Blackheath.
                I wonder what Ostrog was doing in Woolwich?
                Perhaps,he was "in it" with Druitt with regards to JTR.
                Strange though,that they were in the same area at the same time,as I think,if my memory serves me right,didn't Druitt start at the school in 1887.
                Just a bit of local trivia.
                ANNA.

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Ostrog in prison at the time of the murders??
                  Best regards,
                  Adam

Comment

As a PS.
                    In the 70's the IRA blew up a pub called the "Kings Arms"which was always known locally to be "the army pub", as so many of the cadets wandered over to use it.The pub was situated more or less opposite the entrance to the cadet's quarters.Perhaps Ostrog nipped in there first, for a bit of "dutch courage".

Comment

While the claims that Druitt was playing cricket at the time of the murders isn't 100% conclusive, it is pretty safe to say that he was.
                      As far as I know there is simply no evidence in the public domain that Druitt was playing cricket at the time of any of the murders.

If you know otherwise, by all means tell us what evidence you have in mind, but please don't just keep repeating the claim unless you can back it up.

Comment

Uncle Jack,
                        I don't think so..I think he was out by the time the murders started.I could be wrong,so nipping over to check.

Comment

Chris,
                          I have looked at the local papers,and he seems to have played on the morning after one of the murders.I have photocopies somewhere of the report concerning the match.
                          Andy is the one to ask about this.I have a feeling there is something about it here on the site.

Comment

anna

Yes, he played at Blackheath the morning after Chapman's murder, but he would have had ample time to get back for the match.

None of Druitt's known cricketing fixtures comes close to providing him with an alibi for any of the murders.

Comment

According to our suspects file he was out by then.
                              Released March 10th....but is in France and sentenced on Nov 18th 1888.

So,we have Ostrog here in Woolwich in 1887,Druitt here in Blackheath in 1888and Maybrick's mistress here in New X..just the other side of Blackheath,with Maybrick visiting her here,aswell

All very cosy,isn't it?!!

Comment

Working...
                              X