Richard Mansfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard Mansfield

I'm watching the Jack the Ripper Series that was made a number of years ago starring Michael Caine as Abberline. What are some of your thoughts on the Richard Mansfield storyline? I in no way even remotely think he was involved but am curious about some other opinions. Thank you.

Esther

Hello Esther,
    Mansfield was Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde at the Lyceum theatre, and in several press reports, the Whitechapel murderer was called "another Hyde".
    Some people wrote to newspapers to promote their "Mr Hyde" theories, and that's interesting. I don't think Mansfield himself is of interest in the case, but Armand Assante was a wonderful actor.

Amitiés,
    David

Comment

Originally posted by Esther Wilson View Post
      I'm watching the Jack the Ripper Series that was made a number of years ago starring Michael Caine as Abberline. What are some of your thoughts on the Richard Mansfield storyline? I in no way even remotely think he was involved but am curious about some other opinions. Thank you.

Esther

Hi Esther,

The story goes that Mansfield's portrayal of 'Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde' at The Lyceum Theatre was so realistic that it had audiences fainting as they watched it....

Apparently the Ripper Crimes so affected the ticket-buying classes of the day that they considered Mansfield's performances as actively encouraging murder on the streets of the East End, and stopped going. There was some silly talk that Mansfield himself actively purchased the services of East End prostitutes. At any rate, his show folded and he lost loads of £££'s.

He was an American actor and promoter of some merit. I think I read somewhere that he cut his losses and went back to the USA, the wiser and poorer.

Cheers,

Graham
      We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Mansfield would certainly be way way down on the list but the murders did cease when he left England and then there was the Carrie Brown slaying in the States after he returned here.
        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hi Esther
          I think they were trying to portray him as some sort of Jekyll and Hyde character.
          "Yer only supposed to know the bloody whores toff"-Micheal Caine as Abberline to Inspector Bodie, or was it Doyle?
          All the best
          Rob

Comment

I think Mansfield died within 20 years of the Ripper murders but I don't know what from.
            This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Just as a bit of fun can anybody think of what links the Micheal Caine series with Mr Hyde and the more recent From Hell film?

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                I think Mansfield died within 20 years of the Ripper murders but I don't know what from.
                Hi sreid,
                according to Wikipedia, he died of a liver cancer, 30 Aug 1907.
                I guess he did not drink enough...

Amitiés,
                David

Comment

Originally posted by cats meat man View Post
                  Just as a bit of fun can anybody think of what links the Micheal Caine series with Mr Hyde and the more recent From Hell film?
                  Whisky became opium!

Comment

Mansfield was also a member of the D'Oyly Carte Opera Company, taking such parts as Sir Joseph Porter in HMS Pinafore. His association with JtR was also 'assisted' when a member of the public wrote a letter to a newspaper describing his performance in 'Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde', saying that anyone capable of such amazing feats on stage could also do the same things in real life!

No chance was he the Ripper!

Cheers,

Graham
                    We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                      Mansfield was also a member of the D'Oyly Carte Opera Company, taking such parts as Sir Joseph Porter in HMS Pinafore. His association with JtR was also 'assisted' when a member of the public wrote a letter to a newspaper describing his performance in 'Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde', saying that anyone capable of such amazing feats on stage could also do the same things in real life!

No chance was he the Ripper!

Cheers,

Graham
                      Hi Graham,
                      quite funny (is that enough to make him a contemporary suspect...!!).
                      Did Mansfield react to this naive/stupid accusation?

Amitiés,
                      David

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
                        Hi Graham,
                        quite funny (is that enough to make him a contemporary suspect...!!).
                        Did Mansfield react to this naive/stupid accusation?

Amitiés,
                        David

No, he just buggered off back to the USA and continued his career there.

I just spent 2 rather wet and cool weeks in your country - near Chinon, actually. I want my money back as I was promised endless sun and blue skies...

Cheers,

Graham

Comment

Who the hell has promised you endless sun in Chinon?
                          What a swindle!

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                            I just spent 2 rather wet and cool weeks in your country - near Chinon, actually. I want my money back as I was promised endless sun and blue skies...
                            Surely you'd heard that the sun only Chinon the righteous?
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
                              Who the hell has promised you endless sun in Chinon?
                              What a swindle!
                              Chinon is a lovely place (we know it well), but this year our visit coincided with some crazy bicycle race between Saumur and Chinon, in which the streets of Chinon were filled with a mass of idiot cyclists. As it happened, the day we were in Chinon was 36 degrees, we ate a very nice quiche Lorraine at a pavement cafe, and I was able to trip over about 30 crazy cyclists who came too close to our table. I'm not complaining.

In fact, we are thinking about buying a house in (or close to) Chinon when I retire.

Cheers,

Graham

Comment

Working...
                              X