Can anyone remind me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone remind me

I am sure I read a report somewhere that one of the victims, I think Catherine Eddowes, had arranged a meeting with a religious man on the night she died with the object of him helping her give up prostitution but I have been unable to find this report now. Can anyone shed any light on where this report came from?

Are you sure this isn't a fusion of two stories, namely that Catherine Eddowes had apparently claimed to know the identity of JTR and was going to go to the police for a reward on the night she died, and the other story of Liz Stride being one of the women that Thomas Barnardo had seen in the kitchen of a lodging house during a philanthropic visit?

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Since Philip can do no wrong, he also meant to add that it was reported Eddowes met a man in a pub who tried to convert her from her evil ways, gave her 5 shillings , and asked to meet with her in a week.

He directs you to read the section entitled 'A Woman's Story'

JM

Comment

Thanks JM that is indeed the very report I had in mind. The problem with the appointment idea of course is that Eddowes timings would have been thrown out by being detained by the police. Still if Stride did have some connection to Barnardo another interesting coincidence is added to the case.

Comment

Working...
        X