Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• location of the graffito

Hello,

I'm looking for the exact location of the graffito in Goulston Street, was it on the street? on the left or the right of the entrance? and what entrance was it?(I found there was five entrance to the building)

thanks!

Hi the Hood

Your best bet is the book 'The London of Jack the Ripper..then and now. by Robert Clack and Philip Hutchinson. On P127 it gives a picture: Wentworth Model Dwellings, Goulston Street, 2007. P128. Entrance to 108-119. Wentworth Model Dwellings, 1975. and Same entrance today, 2007. Which appears to be the modern door of a fish and chip shop. So it looks nothing like you'd expect.

I'm afraid I darnt post the pics as I know Mr Clack patrols these boards. But if your looking to tour the Ripper sites today, you could do worse than invest in a copy of this book..which gives loads of then and now pictures..and is brilliant.

And no I'm not on a commission. Hope advice helps

Pirate

Comment

Originally posted by thehood View Post
      I'm looking for the exact location of the graffito in Goulston Street, was it on the street? on the left or the right of the entrance? and what entrance was it?(I found there was five entrance to the building)
      The exact location of the graffito was discussed at length a few years ago:

As for which entrance it was, you can see some photos here:

I think I'm correct in saying that the photo taken at night and the black and white photo show the wrong doorway, but that the last two photos, credited to Johnno, show the right one.

Comment

Thanks for that Chris

The important feature appears to be the White faceard above the entrance with three diamond shapes in the centre. (Thats behind the mercades in your link).

You should be able to spot it from that today.

Pirate

Comment

there are four identical entrance actually from the photos I found and as people don't seem to agree what entrance it was and where was the apron piece I can't say things are clearer for me now

thanks anyway, I'll dig further

Comment

there are four identical entrance actually from the photos I found and as people don't seem to agree what entrance it was and where was the apron piece I can't say things are clearer for me now
            The consensus is that it's the second of these doors as you come from the north. You'll find more on this if you follow the links I posted.

Comment

As Chris states, 2nd door on the left as you walk down Goulston st from Wentworth st.

If you want the precise location, right hand jamb as you view the entrance from the street, shoulder height.

Monty
              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

thanks anyway, I'll dig further
                I thought Chris's directions were fairly clear. Happy Days.

Comment

PS..If you post .."Happy Days are here again" ...Monty, I'll report you to for miss-use of the casebook server...

Comment

Here's a recent photo of the building, with an arrow pointing to the door way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Goulston Street cb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	654478

Rob

Comment

One would hope one's rival tour guides were reading this thread. Unfortunately, for thousands of people worldwide, the door of the apron will be forever any one of these, and the ones on the other side of the street.

PHILIP
                      Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Thanks a lot! I must admit I was slightly lost...

Comment

Working...
                        X