Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JtR Documentaries- Complete the List

Hi all,

In an upcoming episode of the podcast, I'll be doing a chronological survey of Ripper documentaries (with sound snippets!). Below is a list I've put together. Please, if you see something missing, especially international/non UK or USA, post about it. Give me the year, too, if possible.

And discuss some aspects of these Ripper docs if you'd like. (Fido on the bed in Timewatch, for example )

And if anyone knows the year of production on the last two listed, or why the 1987 Peter Graves version of Biography is also called Phantom of Death, the same as the not-Peter Graves from 1996, I could use some help here.

Thanks!

JM

1959- Farson's Guide to the British

1973- Jack the Ripper (Barlow&Watt)

1978- In Search of...Jack the Ripper

1980- Jack the Ripper- The Final Solution

1987- Biography Jack the Ripper: Phantom of Death (Peter Graves) ?

1988- The Secret Identity of Jack the Ripper

1988- Shadow of the Ripper: BBC Timewatch

1989- Secrets of the Unknown: Jack the Ripper

1990- Crime Monthly- Who was Jack the Ripper?

1993- The Diary of Jack the Ripper: Beyond Reasonable Doubt?

1996- Biography: Jack the Ripper

1998- History's Mysteries: The Hunt for Jack the Ripper

2000- Jack the Ripper: An On-going Mystery

2004- Unsloved History: Jack the Ripper

2006- Is it Real? Jack the Ripper (National Geographic)

2006: Revealed: Jack the Ripper, First Serial Killer Revealed

2007: Jack the Ripper: Case Unsolved

Jack the Ripper's London. Travel Channel- Places of Mystery

Secret History: The Whitechapel Murders

1995 Jack the Ripper- Final Solution

2003 Jack the Ripper- Conspiracies

2003 Jack the Ripper revealed- Truth at lasthttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Jack-Ripper-...387330&sr=1-10

2005 Jack the Rippers London

Unknown date Jack the Ripper- Notorious Serial Killers

Also does the documentary on "From Hell" count, featuring, "Jack The Ripper: Six Degrees Of Seperation" Interactive Documentary and "A View From Hell' Making Of Documentary"
    Regards Mike

Comment

Hi Jonathan. As for the Travel Channel's show "Top Ten Places of Mystery" I can't find a year of release, but the other one: "Secret History: The Whitechapel Murders" seems to have been aired on Jul 25, 1996.

A few others you might be interested in is:

Jack The Ripper's London (2003) which can be found on https://www.ldtv.co.uk/acatalog/Inde...London_18.html

To Kill and Kill Again (1993)

The Discovery Channel : Jack the Ripper

Yours Truely Jack the Ripper: a 7 minute, 11 second youtube documentary

And the laughable
      The Royal Ripper another multipart youtube documentary, basicly a Royal Masonic conspiracy theory.

Hope this helps.
      "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill

Comment

All the YOUTUBE docs are posted on these very forums under "JTR and Youtube"
        Regards Mike

Comment

Oops! Found that thread after I'd made the post. Thanks, Mike. And sorry.
          "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill

Comment

This might call for a lot of time I don't have to spare.

TO KILL AND KILL AGAIN wasn't 1993, it was 2001.

Likewise, the SECRET HISTORY was, I believe, 1996 (also available as a Channel Four video called THE WHITECHAPEL MURDERS).

Do you want to include generic docs with parts on JTR? Do you want to include sell-thru items that were never intended for broadcast? Finished pieces that never ever got marketed? Foreign language shows? I've been in several foreign ones myself that aren't listed here.

PHILIP
            Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Hi Mike

This may be a bit of a cheek. But I'm very interested in finding a copy of the Farson program. To my knowledge there are no copies in existence. There was also a program in this series that featured Lady Abber Conway talking about her Cats. (Mr Diddles?)

I heard that this program was sold and released in Australia, and reals of the program may exist out there somewhere?

The program contains some unique interviews of people long since gone.

Anything that you could turn up would be very helpful indeed.

Well there it is. I'm still searching.

Sounds like a fab podcast..

I still say Barlow and Watts was the best! Hopefully not for much longer...

Yours Jeff

Comment

PS. You don't appear to have included Richard Jones Documentary which I believe was sold to National Geographic? Its certainly on sale at the docklands Museum...I think its one of the better Documentaries I've seen. Certainly better than that 'First serial killer' effort by Atlantic...36 factual errors?

Anyway you should include Richards Jones DVD. Even if the interview is not a kosminski relation.

Yours Jeff

Comment

What was the name of the Farson Doc?
                  Let me know Jeff and I will have a look, I still have lots of contacts in distribution from my video shop days.

I remember the Richard Jones DVD was actually marketed on this site at one point, think it was on the main page!

I like Mr Jones books, especially the one's he has written on the paranormal.
                  Philip is a lucky man to have a boss like that, and I would love to hear more about these foreign JTR docs!

Edit- Farson's guide to the British....doh!
                  Regards Mike

Comment

Mike - Alan Sharp and myself and a load of others were in BABYLONE (French TV) in 2007.

I also did a piece on JTR for FREEMASONRY SECRETS REVEALED (US) 2006 and an episode on JTR on the Swedish programme ENDALYST also in 2006. I recently did a piece for another programme that will be shown later this year called BEING JACK THE RIPPER.

There is a Swedish documentary that was never shown about Liz Stride in 1989. Yes, I have a copy. No, I'm not allowed to distribute it so don't even ask me - anyone!

Richard Jones has done more than one JTR programme. It might even be three.

Oh - thought of another one. There was a Discovery Home & Leisure episode in the ROUTES series on JTR in 1998. I've got about 3/4 of it on video.

PHILIP

Comment

Another one!

OMNIBUS : TRACKING THE KILLER (2002) - Patty does her yawnfest. I THINK it's called that - something similar.

PHILIP

Comment

Mike,

Dan Farson's TV series in or about 1959 was called "Farson's Guide To The British".

If you ever find a copy of the piece he did on the Ripper, please let me know, because my interest in the Whitechapel Murders stems from that series.

I've always been an admirer of the late Dan Farson, for all his supposed fauts.

Cheers,

Graham
                        We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Does anyone recall a documentary presented by Christopher Frayling, airing about 1994-5? It was fairly good on social history and context (politics, WT Stead, etc.) Frayling appeared inside Wilton's. At the time I appreciated it for going beyond the fact/fact/theory/suspect formula, but it's not listed under Frayling's imdb.

Comment

Frayling was the host of Shadow of the Ripper, the BBC Timewatch show from 1988. Is this the one you mean?

Looks like he's speaking and presenting the film at the Docklands exhibit in early October.

And Philip,

Thanks for all the info. I'll bring up the Freemasons doc, as it gets replayed continuously here in the US.

Do you happen to have the title of the Swedish Stride documentary handy?

Thanks all, keep em coming...

JM

Comment

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
                              I also did a piece on JTR for FREEMASONRY SECRETS REVEALED (US) 2006
                              That was replayed this year, Phillip. Nicely done.

Roy
                              Sink the Bismark

Comment

Working...
                              X