Mitre Square Squatters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitre Square Squatters

I hope that I am not covering something that has previously been discussed, but what do people think about the potential for squatters to be living/crashing in the vacant houses in Miter Square? i know that there was a policeman and a nightwatchman, but i don't know - sleeping in a dodgy house would have to beat 'sleeping rough'.

Little.

As I recall, they were owned by the picture framer who traded from 8-9 Mitre Street. So whether or not he lived over the shop, the owner was close at hand. Their status would've been well known to the police, ensuring door/window checks several times a night. Add this to the City (as now) being largely deserted at night, and I'd say probably not.

Comment

Thanks. I didn't know about the picture framer owning them - or if I dd I had forgotten! It is interesting to get someone's view of this. Homeless people where i come from tend to get in to everywhere - and i don't really blame them. Police knowing a place was empty would not be enough of a reason not to break in. thanks

Comment

Evilina,

Mr Charles Taylor onwer the picture shop of 8-9 Mitre Street, which was situated on the south side entrance to the square. The Cottages and tea rooms of 6-7 Mitre Street were vacated on the night of Eddowes murder.

The backs of these buildings were on the Mitre Square side. As mentioned, Taylors shop was being used at the time but he was not on the premises.

The empty Cottages and Tea rooms were hoarded up. These buildings were searched and no sign of entry, nor trace of the killer (Blood markings, footsteps, fingermarkers) could be found. This according to Insp Collards report.

Watkins would, as Justin states, have also checked the security of thos empty buildings as part of his beat. He didnt report any break ins.

Basically no one had gotten into those empty buildings.

Monty

PS And Morris was quite protective of the square also.
        Last edited by Monty; 07-21-2008, 10:37 AM.
        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Rather than start an entire new thread about this, I looked through the forums and found this may be the best place for it.

I had an eBay win turn up today from Malaysia (yes, I probably faked it in PhotoShop). It wasn't cheap but is still, nevertheless, a nice little find.

Notice we are five years after the Whitechapel Murders and also notice that we have ALL spelt his name wrong. His name was Tayler, not Taylor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	15m.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	657991

PHILIP
          Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Yikes!! What a brilliant find! Well done, Philip!

This deserves the "Ephemera Item of the Year" prize.

Comment

As mentioned at the Conference Philip?

Eagle eyed aint ya?

Monty
              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Magnificent!!!
                Love 'Gents- please supply....' and 'Is there anything on your books against us?'

Blooming expensive at 37/6d for a Gross of 12 sheet weight Royal sized and 52/6d for same Imperial card/paper!

On the case to find out the going rate!-

This is what comes of being off sick surrounded by tissues and Lem-sip!

Brilliant find Frip!

Suz x
                Last edited by Suzi; 11-03-2009, 04:23 PM.
                'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

As a matter of info
                  Paper sizes in the wonderful (mostly defunct Imperial sizes) were as follows:

Royal- 25"x20"

Imperial- 22"x30"

Atlas-26"x34"

Suzi x

Comment

The described '12 sheet board' is the equivalent of todays mount board as used by picture framers- then as now!

Comment

Disturbingly- I Googled Picture framers 1893 and found this- a wonderful wonderful thing IMHO!
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	corsets.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	657992

Comment

Working...
                      X