Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Trevor Marriott 13 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Joshua Rogan 20 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Abby Normal 1 hour and 2 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by John G 1 hour and 9 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Graham 1 hour and 17 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Herlock Sholmes 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (57 posts)
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - (56 posts)
General Discussion: General Victoriana - (2 posts)
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - (2 posts)
Witnesses: Israel Schwartz - new information - (1 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Were Belle Elmore’s remains that proved she wasn’t related to her living relatives an - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > General Suspect Discussion

Old 05-07-2016, 09:32 PM
Detective

Default Ripper Facts

I thought it could be useful to identify what are the actual facts we know about the Ripper, as opposed to speculation.

While it could be argued that most of what we know about JTR is speculation, there are some aspects that are more factual than others.

The following is my start ...

Witness description. The consistent picture from more reliable witnesses is he was aged 25 - 35 y.o., about 5'7" tall, was English, appeared well educated, had a moustache and was stocky built.

Time of killings. He only killed on weekends in the early morning.

Had skill in cutting and anatomy. While it is contentious whether he was a doctor or butcher, one can say he was comfortable using a knife to cut flesh.

He was able to move around without being detected.

Dates are alingned with turmoil at Scotland Yard. The first Nicholls killing occurred when Monro resigned due to conflict with Warren. The final Kelly killing was the day after Warren resigned.

No killings in October.

Killings preceded by Torso murders, and body part thrown into Scotland Yard. While some debate whether the Torso a killer and Ripper were the same man, they both had the same impact of embarrassing Metropolitan Police.

Scotland Yard was unpopular. Warren was criticised for bringing in force to quell a protest the previous November. There was known tension within Scotland Yard and with City of London Police.

Items I have omitted as fact, which could be are :

Graffiti and apron

Letters - while most are considered a hoax, some believe the Lusk letter and kidney are genuine.

There is obviously so much speculation around the Ripper. I know I'd appreciate knowing what are the facts , and hope others may as well.

All the best

Craig
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:50 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig H View Post

Time of killings. He only killed on weekends in the early morning.
Polly Nichols was murdered on 31 Aug 1888, approx. 3:30 Friday morning.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:13 PM
Commisioner

I am not persuaded that any of the witnesses saw Jack.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:44 PM
Chief Inspector

Mary Kelly died on a Friday, we don't know what time in the morning. Admittedly it was a Bank Holiday long weekend but it's best to be accurate!

How do we know Jack was well educated? If you read the Lusk letter it seems to be the reverse, even leaving aside the GSG with its double negatives. Also, both Mrs Long and Hutch pointed, not too subtly, to the person they saw being a foreigner (read Jew.) Whether either of these witnesses are reliable depends on your point of view, I guess.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:08 PM
Commisioner

The skill level is far from a cert. Depends on who you believe I guess.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:32 AM
Cadet

The only known facts about the killer are that he:
a) was at the murder sites when the murders were committed and
b) carried a knife, which he used with great violence to inflict the recorded injuries.

The official witness statements, those recorded at the inquest or given to the police, are facts in so much as they represent what the witness said. The accuracy or truth of those statements is open to debate.

Other facts about the crimes, but not necessarily the killer, are:
1. A witness said that Annie Chapman was wearing two rings on the night of her death. Neither ring was found after the murder.
2. A piece of bloodstained apron belonging to Catherine Eddowes was found in Goulston Street, below a piece of graffiti.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:11 AM
Detective

Hi GUT

I previously posted a summary I'd found of witness statements at
http://forum.casebook.org/showthread...hlight=Witness

Lawrende saw Eddowes with a man (who seemed to be a client) 10 minutes before she was found dead. Major Henry Smith believed he was a credible witness. Robert Anderson said Lawende was the only man who saw the killer.

PC William Smith described a man (client ?) with Stride 10 minutes before she died.

My u der standing us these two are regarded as most credible witnesses.

Craig
Old 05-08-2016, 01:13 AM
Detective

Thanks Paul .... I'd. Forgotten about the missing rings...

craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulWilliams View Post
The only known facts about the killer are that he:
a) was at the murder sites when the murders were committed and
b) carried a knife, which he used with great violence to inflict the recorded injuries.

The official witness statements, those recorded at the inquest or given to the police, are facts in so much as they represent what the witness said. The accuracy or truth of those statements is open to debate.

Other facts about the crimes, but not necessarily the killer, are:
1. A witness said that Annie Chapman was wearing two rings on the night of her death. Neither ring was found after the murder.
2. A piece of bloodstained apron belonging to Catherine Eddowes was found in Goulston Street, below a piece of graffiti.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:15 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig H View Post
Hi GUT

I previously posted a summary I'd found of witness statements at
http://forum.casebook.org/showthread...hlight=Witness

Lawrende saw Eddowes with a man (who seemed to be a client) 10 minutes before she was found dead. Major Henry Smith believed he was a credible witness. Robert Anderson said Lawende was the only man who saw the killer.

PC William Smith described a man (client ?) with Stride 10 minutes before she died.

My u der standing us these two are regarded as most credible witnesses.

Craig
I'd agree with that, I just am yet to be persuaded that the man she was seen with was JTR.

Old 05-08-2016, 01:36 AM
Detective

We don't know for sure if anyone saw the killer. Did Anderson, or anyone, name Lawende as the person who saw the killer or are we surmising? Also, why leave out the apron? I think it is a fact that a piece of Eddowes apron was found at Goulston Street.

Last edited by MysterySinger : 05-08-2016 at 01:50 AM.