X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murder Houses of London

Anyone read this book?

What are your views, worth reading?

Yes, I have read it. It's divided into districts of London of course, and for each house where a murder occurred there's quite a short potted history on the homicide, circumstance, victim etc. Nothing overly detailed really, but then I suppose it would have been encyclopedia-size if it had been!

Is it worthwhile? Depends on whether you enjoy that sort of trawl through London's city and suburbs, I suppose. I found it quite interesting but then I enjoy reading about London and murders that have occurred there over the centuries. You can dip in and out of it. It's that sort of book.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
      Yes, I have read it. It's divided into districts of London of course, and for each house where a murder occurred there's quite a short potted history on the homicide, circumstance, victim etc. Nothing overly detailed really, but then I suppose it would have been encyclopedia-size if it had been!

Is it worthwhile? Depends on whether you enjoy that sort of trawl through London's city and suburbs, I suppose. I found it quite interesting but then I enjoy reading about London and murders that have occurred there over the centuries. You can dip in and out of it. It's that sort of book.

Many thanks Rosella. Sounds interesting, shame it doesn't go into greater detail. Just out of interest does it go into enough detail as to mention by name individual police officers, involved in the case or who found the bodies, etc?

Comment

Hi both

In Ripperologist, we have been publishing articles by Jan Bondeson, author of Murder Houses of London. In our latest issue, Ripperologist No. 149, April 2016, just published, we publish an article by him entitled, "The Burton Crescent Murders, 1878 and 1884," extracted from his Dr. Bondeson's book, Rivals of the Ripper (The History Press, 2016). The article gives a good idea of the high quality of Dr. Bondeson's writing and the research behind it. You can pick up the pdf of Ripperologist 149, at http://www.ripperologist.biz/pdf/ripperologist149.pdf or else email contact@ripperologist.biz if you would like the Kindle version or else want to be put on the subscription list.

Cheers

Chris
        Christopher T. George
        Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
        just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
        For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
        RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
          Hi both

In Ripperologist, we have been publishing articles by Jan Bondeson, author of Murder Houses of London. In our latest issue, Ripperologist No. 149, April 2016, just published, we publish an article by him entitled, "The Burton Crescent Murders, 1878 and 1884," extracted from his Dr. Bondeson's book, Rivals of the Ripper (The History Press, 2016). The article gives a good idea of the high quality of Dr. Bondeson's writing and the research behind it. You can pick up the pdf of Ripperologist 149, at http://www.ripperologist.biz/pdf/ripperologist149.pdf or else email contact@ripperologist.biz if you would like the Kindle version or else want to be put on the subscription list.

Cheers

Chris

Many thanks, Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
            Many thanks Rosella. Sounds interesting, shame it doesn't go into greater detail. Just out of interest does it go into enough detail as to mention by name individual police officers, involved in the case or who found the bodies, etc?
            Individual police officers aren't usually named. The person who finds the victim sometimes is. On the other hand there are some great illustrations from contemporary newspapers and magazines.

Comment

Thanks for the above link. The amount of research that was recounted in the article about Kelly, is outstanding, and just shows Mary was fantasising. Extraordinary!

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                Individual police officers aren't usually named. The person who finds the victim sometimes is. On the other hand there are some great illustrations from contemporary newspapers and magazines.
                That's such a shame. I can't help but think that many more officers played a part in the Ripper case, whose names have been lost to history forever, with the disappearance of so many of the original documents, which I feel is such a shame.

Comment

Working...
                X