This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
    Lynn, didn't mean Kosminski kept it as a trophy, but that the policeman picking it up at the scene, did. In that case, he would not wash it. Or anyone else who ever owned it thereafter if knowing what it was.

What are the specifics to determine if that shawl is Edwardian vs Victorian. I have seen shawls similar and they have been determined to be as early as 1860.

And to Pinkmoon...I would kill for a Jack the Ripper yoyo.
    You don't need to kill pinky for a yo-yo just visit Mr Edwards' shop.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Questions for SPE

..or anyone else who saw the shawl in the 1990's.

Was the semen stain visible then, O'Donnell's book only published B/W photos which makes it hard to tell?

Has anyone contacted those who touched the shawl at that time to eliminate their DNA?

I note the Daily Mail "article" is not actually an article. It is, in fact, a press release, by Mr. Edwards, he is the copyright holder.
      dustymiller
      aka drstrange

Comment

• Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
        No! Don't mention schizophrenic, you'll start Jeff Leahy off.
        Well yes I'd really like to know what exact;y would be meant by a low grade Schizophrenic and if such a thing actually exists.

But as I've said before some years ago I looked into any possible DNA evidence on Jack the Ripper and it doesn't exist as its unlikely any of the letters are genuine, Don Rumblows knife even if it were connected wouldn't contain DNA and the Shawl owned at that time by Andy and Sue Parlour was estimated to have been printed (The Daisy pattern) somewhere around 1902-04.

But we simply don't know the stage of Arom Kosminski's schizophrenia in 1888. Schizophrenia hits suffers in waves or psychotic episodes.

Could schizophrenia be connected to the Jack the Ripper murders? Almost certainly. Would schizophrenia alone be the answer? Probably not. Its more probable that a number of factors one of which could have been schizophrenia hold the answer. We still know comparatively little about the condition.

The question therefore you need to ask yourself is …Is it possible that a schizophrenic like Aron Kosminski could have committed the murders in the early phase of his condition, twenty two being fairly typical age for the conditions on set. And the answer to that question is simply YES.

YOurs Jeff

Comment

• Ummm??

Might be a silly question, but I wonder if he tested DNA from other suspects families or only Kosminski.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. John Watson View Post
            I

4. Is there any definitive evidence that the Ripper sexually assaulted any of his victims, either before or after killing them?

I'm not looking for detailed answers, just Y or N will suffice.

Dr. John
            THis question is really a can of worms because what do you mean by Sexual assault? If you simply mean was any seaman found at any of the crimes the answer to that is NO.

Did jack the Ripper take trophies .. Yes

Did he masturbate… We don't know for certain. We know that Petter Sutcliff the Yorkshire Ripper did. It seems probable that Jack the Ripper also found sexual gratification from his crimes.

Yours Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
              Ummm??

Might be a silly question, but I wonder if he tested DNA from other suspects families or only Kosminski.
              The only person who'd probably know the answer to that question is Chris Philips. He used to post regularly on these boards.

But to my knowledge descendants of Aaron Kosminski were traced. I don't know if they cooperated with these tests, but as I've said its unlikely to test positive as the Shawl Daisy pattern is Edwardian not Victorian to my knowledge

Trust that helps

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Leahy View Post
                The only person who'd probably know the answer to that question is Chris Philips. He used to post regularly on these boards.

But to my knowledge descendants of Aaron Kosminski were traced. I don't know if they cooperated with these tests, but as I've said its unlikely to test positive as the Shawl Daisy pattern is Edwardian not Victorian to my knowledge

Trust that helps

Jeff
                Just wondering if it was only Kosminski, "Why him?"
                G U T

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Leahy View Post

Trust that helps

Jeff
                  Jeff, Aaron had no desc to trace. His sister and her daughters down the line (secondary desc) were traced and DNA Swabbed, hence the debates. Only way to obtain direct DNA from Aaron K is from his own remains.

Comment

• Originally posted by wolfie1 View Post
                    Jeff, Aaron had no desc to trace. His sister and her daughters down the line (secondary desc) were traced and DNA Swabbed, hence the debates. Only way to obtain direct DNA from Aaron K is from his own remains.
                    Yes no direct line as Aron had no children. I believe the descendants traced came from the Matilda line. Aaron is berried in London, I've been there and to my knowledge has never been exhumed.

Yours Jeff

Comment

• First time

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
                      ..or anyone else who saw the shawl in the 1990's.
                      Was the semen stain visible then, O'Donnell's book only published B/W photos which makes it hard to tell?
                      Has anyone contacted those who touched the shawl at that time to eliminate their DNA?
                      I note the Daily Mail "article" is not actually an article. It is, in fact, a press release, by Mr. Edwards, he is the copyright holder.
                      This is the first time I have heard anything at all about any semen stain on the 'shawl', despite quite thorough examinations in the past.

I should think that dozens of people have handled the 'shawl'. I have photographs of it lying on the floor of the Crime Museum for photography back in May 1997 with its dimensions noted as being 8 feet x 2 feet.

An article may be defined as a 'literary composition (other than fiction) forming part of a magazine etc. but independent of others' (OED) which obviously the Mail piece is.

But I know what you mean, it is, apparently, written by, and attributed to, Russell Edwards, with his copyright. He cannot be faulted for his high profile marketing.
                      Last edited by Stewart P Evans; 09-07-2014, 10:44 PM.
                      SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Ah, I am told that you may buy your kitsch Ripper souvenirs at this location. Perhaps he'll start a line in 'replica shawls'?
                        Just watch out for shawlatans, mind you.

Fisherman

Comment

• Gravy Train

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                          And I find it hard to fault them for that.
                          No, of course there is nothing wrong in marketing a book to make a profit, nor in encouraging interest in a subject.

However, what sits uneasily with me is the fact that some authors happily encourage (or back) patent nonsense to keep the gravy train rolling. I guess that what they do is up to them, but I don't like to see it.
                          SPE

Comment

• Fish,

Tell Ed to keep his distance, we wouldn't want any Cross contamination.

MrB

Comment

No, of course there is nothing wrong in marketing a book to make a profit, nor in encouraging interest in a subject.

However, what sits uneasily with me is the fact that some authors happily encourage (or back) patent nonsense to keep the gravy train rolling. I guess that what they do is up to them, but I don't like to see it.
                              Don't misunderstand me Stewart, nor do I.
                              G U T

Comment

• Know

Originally posted by spyglass View Post
                                So you wont be buying the book ?
                                Not even slightly intrested what it contains?
                                Even you purchased and read the Diary Mr Evans.
                                No, I shall not be buying the book. My Ripper interest has waned and I am pursuing my old WWII aviation interests.

No, I did not purchase the 'diary' book, I was given a copy, and I analysed the content rather that 'read it'. But let's not get onto the duff 'diary'.

By the way, how do you know what I did?
                                SPE

Comment

Working...
                                X