Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Mary Jane Kelly: PC did not pass Dorset St. in his beat - by Varqm 8 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: The Nature of Evidence - by Elamarna 2 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Favorite Films (lists up to participating site members) - by Henry Flower 2 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: PC did not pass Dorset St. in his beat - by Kattrup 3 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Favorite Films (lists up to participating site members) - by Robert 4 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: PC did not pass Dorset St. in his beat - by Robert 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Non-Fiction: Deconstructing Jack by Simon Wood - (29 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: PC did not pass Dorset St. in his beat - (25 posts)
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: The Nature of Evidence - (19 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Favorite Films (lists up to participating site members) - (7 posts)
Audio -- Visual: Exorcist and JTR - (6 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: HH Hollmes - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Kosminski, Aaron

Old 10-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Inspector

Default New Article on Kozminski in Ripperologist 128

I want to be the first to congratulate Pat Marshall and Chris Phillips for a truly great article in Ripperologist. And I also want to give my personal thanks to Pat for all the great research she has done in the past year. These new discoveries are really food for thought. It is great to see that new info on Kozminski is still being uncovered. And this article presents several new avenues for discussion and thought.

This new address of Providence Street is (in my opinion) the likeliest address for Aaron Kozminski at the time of the murders. And walking between Aaron's siblings residences at this time (as Aaron surely would have done), one would obviously traverse either Berner Street or Batty Street, as both streets lie directly between Greenfield Street and Providence Street.

Chris and I took a walk around the area last week and I took a few photos that show just how close this address was to the site of the Stride murder. And incidentally, the locations in reality seem closer than you would think looking at a contemporary map of the area... I assume because the streets may have been thinner in those days.

I took the first two (composited) photos standing near what would have been the intersection of Fairclough and Providence Streets. Looking left you can see the approximate location where Wolf Abrahams' house would have been at 25 Providence Street. And looking right, you can see the corner of Fairclough and Berner Street, just a few steps from the site of the Stride murder.

The other photo I took from the south end of Greenfield Road, showing Batty Street on the left and Berner Street on the right.

I do hope this article will generate some discussion.

RH
Attached Images

Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Detective

Thanks for the photos Rob. That is really interesting. I think this new information has made me think about the suspect in a new way following on from your talk in York.

Jenni
Old 10-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Inspector

Thanks Jenni. In a sense, the geographical element of this new address is the most intriguing aspect of these new Kozminski discoveries to me. Although the new info about Jacob Cohen and Helen Singer is also very interesting, and helps fill in more of the gaps in the story. Also, they open up new avenues for follow up research.

As I said in my talk, and as the article illustrates... the most direct walking route from Spitalfields to 25 Providence Street would take you down Berner Street and right past Dutfield's Yard. This is not even really debatable.

The other fascinating new discovery is that one of Wolf Kozminski's previous addresses (in 1882) was 38 Berner Street, right next door to the future home of the IWEC and the site of the Stride Murder.

And also, as I discussed, the removal date of Wolf's daughter from the Berner Street school is just one day after the first appearance of the Batty Street lodger story in newspapers.

So in my opinion, there is a lot to discuss here... but I would like to hear what other people think.

Rob
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2012, 12:26 AM
Commisioner

I loved Pat and Chris' article. I'd never heard of Pat Marshall before, but I'm a fan now. Fantastic piece of research. To think that Aaron Kosminski would have hung out, and possibly even LIVED next door to Fanny Mortimer is just awesome. Perhaps that's what drove him nuts! And yes, the Providence Row address would have been very close to Berner Street. However, just for the sake of reference (for those who haven't read the article), the IWEC did not move into 40 Berner Street until 1885, so these connections do not necessarily mean that Koz was associated with them, although I've long suspected Aaron was associated with anarchists.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Old 10-12-2012, 01:24 AM
Inspector

Hi Tom,

Cheers. You will note that I said "the future home of the IWEC". I think the interesting point is that Kozminski would have been well acquainted with the area where the Stride murder took place because it was right next door to his previous residence.

Yes, Pat has indeed done some great work. She is the great-great niece of Detective Henry Cox... so she has detective genes I think.

Rob H

Last edited by robhouse : 10-12-2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:36 AM
Casebook Supporter

A very interesting article. Congratulations to the authors.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:28 AM
Sergeant

I saw an article that there was a long thin alleyway next to the IWEC. Where did it lead out? Could he have used it? I don't know if he would've need too, but just wondered 'Jack' ducked out of site through use of it.

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=5555

I wish there is more information on daily life in Wolf Kosminski's home. I'm hoping something on that comes out somehow. I'm thinking early hours to bed for the working half of the family, making late nights somewhat unobserved.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:06 AM
Commisioner

IRONY-IRONY-IRONY-IRONY-IRONY-IRONY-IRONY-IRONY-IRONY

Sounds like crap research to me. Why would we care about these addresses, the Providence Street one and the Berner Street ditto? Just because Kosminsky MAY have been there - and we have no proof that he was!! - hundreds of thousands of OTHER Eastenders will also have passed the spots.

And surely, Kosminsky would not be stupid enough to kill on his own doorstep? I mean - be for real, people!

NON IRONY-NON IRONY-NON IRONY-NON IRONY-NON IRONY-NON IRONY

Congratulations to Chris Phillips and Pat Marshall for these finds. Very interesting and a significant step forward for the Kosminsky believers! Great job!

The best,
Fisherman
Old 10-12-2012, 07:22 AM
Superintendent

Well, I haven't read the article yet, but the summary in this thread, gives me much food or thought.

I have long held a view that Stride was probably not a JtR victim, but that on the other hand Kosminski was a plausible suspect (not least given senior police support). This information will make me re-think my views. Clearly Aaron would have known the area well.

One also wonders whether his association with the area, and local peoples' memories of him, might have been a factor in Anderson/Swanson's view? No proof they may have said, but it adds to our picture.

I must now give priority to getting hold of the article which I will read with the utmost interest.

My sincere congratulations to those who did the research - which shows there is still information to be discovered and new ground to be made. Really excellent work.

Phil H
Old 10-12-2012, 07:28 AM
Suspended

Hi Phil
do you mean Kosminski could have killed Stride, but wasn't JtR ?