Hanbury Street Back yard photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanbury Street Back yard photo

Can anyone tell me the origin of this photo ? is it an original police shot because it looks bloody old !
    Attached Files

Very late 1960s I believe, probably not very long before demolition in 1970.

Rob

Comment

Is that not a 'screen capture', i.e. a photo taken from the screen of the James Mason program? That might explain why it looks so ancient.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Wasn't there a wooden cover over the cellar entrance “back in the day”?
        I seem to remember Stewart Evans posting a picture a few years back.
        dustymiller
        aka drstrange

Comment

There's also the well-known photo of Colin Wilson standing in th open cellar. The door may have been open when this was taken, or had been removed.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

It seems to be this one, Jason ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hanbury2x.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	662966

... which I used on the Image Enhancements thread but almost certainly found on the East End Photos thread. Doubtless you'll find a little more in the way of information there.

Comment

I'm still thinking screen capture from the James Mason film.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

That was my first thought too, Tom, but wasn't the Mason film in colour?

The first pic definitely looks like a video capture though.
                “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                  Is that not a 'screen capture', i.e. a photo taken from the screen of the James Mason program? That might explain why it looks so ancient.
                  As Magpie says, The London Nobody Knows was in colour (and the views of the yard were taken from eye-level in any case).

There's a picture of the four Hanbury Street photos that were on display in the Ten Bells for many years. I think the image in question has been blown up and enhanced from that, which explains the pixely/grainy look. The original appears in Bill Fishman's The Streets of East London (1979). And looking at the awful state of the property, it was probably from the time of demolition or just before - as an educated guess.

Name:	Hanbury%20Street%20photos.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	662969

JB
                  Last edited by John Bennett; 10-12-2011, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Ten Bells

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                    As Magpie says, The London Nobody Knows was in colour (and the views of the yard were taken from eye-level in any case).
                    There's a picture of the four Hanbury Street photos that were on display in the Ten Bells for many years. I think the image in question has been blown up and enhanced from that, which explains the pixely/grainy look. The original appears in Bill Fishman's The Streets of East London (1979). And looking at the awful state of the property, it was probably from the time of demolition or just before - as an educated guess.
                    [ATTACH]12857[/ATTACH]
                    JB
                    Yes, you are right John. I remember seeing it on the wall at the Ten Bells.

Name:	hanburystyard.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	662970
                    SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Seeing that picture re-enforces my belief that Richardson was lying through his teeth at the inquest.
                      “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Was that photo taken from a scaffold?
                        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

it is a brilliant photo, so eerie and atmospheric yet probably the single reason why the recreation of 29 HS back yard has been so good in films to date.....

Comment

Just watched The London Nobody Knows and saw James Mason in the yard. Is there anyone cooler than him? Oddly enough, before I knew this film existed, I jokingly offered my services as a JM impersonator to a Casebook member who was (and I hope still is) planning a video tour.

Best wishes,
                            Steve.

Comment

For anyone who hasn't seen the James Mason documentary, I once posted some screen caps on another thread:-

General discussion about anything Ripper related that does not fall into a specific sub-category. On topic-Ripper related posts only.

Comment

Working...
                              X