This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete,

I think early June has been suggested. It'll be good to see you again if you can make it! And yes, bring that digital camera with you. There may be another book of the event!

All the best
    Andrew

Comment

• There were two lodging houses in the East End called the Victoria Home. There was a famous one on the corner of Wentworth Street and Commercial Street and another one on Whitechapel Road.
      There has been a bit of a discussion on one of the Hutchinson threads about where the Whitechapel Road one was. I was near-by this evening so I went to check.

It was known to be at 177 Whitechapel Road, and was called the Temperance Home for Working Men, but had been taken over by the Salvation Army in 1919. The whole general site was redeveloped as Booth House.

However the address of Booth House is 153-175 Whitechapel Road.
      I thought 177 may be the older building which I thought was an educational building of some sort and which I knew to be next door to Booth House.

However I found that the older building is in fact what was the Davenant Foundation School, built in 1818. It has moved out to Loughton in Essex now.

The location of the Victoria Home is marked by Victoria Court, a newish Salvation Army Housing Association building wedged between the Davenant Foundation School and Booth House.

In the panoramic shot, from left to right, Booth House is the long red building, then Victoria Court is the sand coloured brick building the same height as Booth House, then the lower building is the old Davenant Foundation School.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	661671

Name:	002.JPG
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	661672

Name:	003.JPG
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	661673

Name:	004.JPG
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	661674

Comment

• From the 1970s.

Name:	WhitechapelRd 1970s SalvationA.jpg
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	661678

Comment

• Calling all experts..

Does anybody know where the Ashby & Horner building was - Shadwell/Ratcliffe. I think it was off Cable Street somewhere - near where Barnardos Gardens is now?

Any tips much appreciated

Comment

• Originally posted by Sally View Post
            Does anybody know where the Ashby & Horner building was - Shadwell/Ratcliffe. I think it was off Cable Street somewhere - near where Barnardos Gardens is now?

Any tips much appreciated
            Hi Sally,

It was on Love Lane, running from Cable Street to the Highway. It's called Broadlove Lane now.

Name:	Love Lane 1888.jpg
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	661679

Regards

Rob

Comment

• Looking at that 1970s pic its strange to remember how black the older buildings used to be.
              The Davenant Foundation BUilding is almost golden coloured now.

Comment

• Rob

Thank you very much for the info, Rob, much appreciated!

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Firth View Post
                  Pete,

I think early June has been suggested. It'll be good to see you again if you can make it! And yes, bring that digital camera with you. There may be another book of the event!

All the best
                  Andrew
                  How does one procure an invite to such an event? Ive seen images of you all on previous ones - looks good!

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamWalsh View Post
                    How does one procure an invite to such an event? Ive seen images of you all on previous ones - looks good!
                    Adam,

There are no invitations as such. You keep an eye out for the date being announced, and then turn up with your camera and a good pair of shoes on your feet at the specified time and place!

Hope you'll be able to make it!

Andrew

Comment

• Good pair of shoes is the key. As I recall from the write-up, someone got blisters last time.

Comment

• That would be me, then!

I blame Rob Clack for planning out such a lengthy route.

Andrew

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Firth View Post
                          That would be me, then!
                          Yeah, I knew that. I just didn't want to say.

Comment

• Few shots from my walk today.......
                            Attached Files

Comment

• A great effort, Adam.
                              I particularly like the Flower & Dean night scene with the lights.
                              Gunthorpe St looks spooky with the flash on the wall!

I'm trying find time to get down there myself to do a series of night photos.
                              I last took some early evening shots on a jtr tour with JB back in 09 (blimey, how time fly's) but everything was on the hoof - no time setting up a tripod for a proper job.

Keep 'em coming.

Best
                              Steve

Comment

• That was quite a walk you had, Adam. Thanks for the shots---especially the detail of the Grave Maurice. I imagine that, pretty soon, the whole building will be painted green.

Comment

Working...
                                X