Primrose League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primrose League

Hello All. I have been searching for some time to ascertain possible social contacts for Pyotr Rachkovski in England. We know that:

1. He attended many social events whilst in England.

2. The Okhrana method was to obtain the ear of organisations likely to be sympathetic to them, that is to say, those in favour of law and order.

I have finally found a possible candidate for such a social network--The Primrose League. They were a conservative organisation, opposed to two main camps, 1. those who favoured Irish home rule and 2. anarchism.

With that in mind, I have decided to start a thread on the league where, from time to time, I hope to post some particulars.

This snippet is from the "Primrose League Gazette" October 1, 1887--inaugural issue.

Cheers.
    LC
    Attached Files

Hello Lynn,

Thats like a who's who of the upper crust of society. Quite a few names mentioned there pop in and out of Ripperology, I note. Thank you for posting this interesting cutting.

best wishes

Phil
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Comment

stay tuned

Hello Phil. Thanks.

Stay tuned--more to come.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

Farqy

Hello All. Recognise the MP at the Primrose League fete?

Cheers.
        LC
        Attached Files

Comment

Here's a little present for you, Lynn. It's from the Nov. 27, 1886 issue of Punch.

Cheers,
          Archaic
          Attached Files

Comment

got lit

Hello All. A sampling of PL lit.

Cheers.
            LC
            Attached Files

Comment

thanks

Hello Bunny. Thank you so much!

Take care.

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

Here's another one Lynn. From 'The Garden', 1884. They seem to like the flower theme.

Best regards,
                Archaic

PS: You're very welcome.
                Attached Files

Comment

thanks again

Hello Bunny. Thanks again.

I overlooked this group simply because (don't laugh) I thought it was a garden club.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                    Hello All. Recognise the MP at the Primrose League fete?

Cheers.
                    LC
                    Hello Lynn,

Wouldn't be a certain West Country MP related to a certain story about a Mr. M. Druitt, perchance? H. R. Farquharson MP?

The Grand Council listed on the thread above, lists no less than 24 MP's. I also note that C.B. Howard Vincent is there too.

In 1877 Howard Vincent was a student at the Faculté de Droit in Paris and investigated the Parisian police. Later that same year, the Metropolitan Police Detective Branch got caught up in a scandal in which some senior officers were involved and dismissed, Vincent was asked to report on the Paris detective system. This impressed the then Home Secretary R. A. Cross, and in 1878 Vincent was appointed to the new post of Director of Criminal Investigation to head the new Criminal Investigation Department. Although the posting didn't officially have any official status of Assistant Commissioner, this post was equivalent to the two Assistant Commissioners.

Vincent answered directly to the Home Secretary and not to the Commissioner, which put him in a rather strange position, as his deputy, Adolphus Williamson (Dolly), and his men did answer to the Commissioner. The Commissioner was Sir Edmund Henderson. Vincent completely reorganised the department. From 1883 he also became editor of the Police Gazette.

In 1884, however, he resigned and entered politics. He was also appointed Lieutenant-Colonel commanding the Queen's Westminster Volunteers the same year, holding the post for twenty years until 1904. He was rewarded in 1885 for his police service by being appointed Companion of the Order of the Bath (CB).

Thought this may be of interest or of some use.

best wishes

Phil
                    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                    Accountability? ....

Comment

yup

Hello Phil. Yup, that's the one.

And thanks for supplying the additional information.

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

logo

Hello All. Every club must have a logo. It looks like, "With fortitude nothing [is] difficult." Better: "For the brave nothing [is] difficult." At the top looks like, "Empire and liberty.'

Anyone recognise the chap? Possibly Benjamin D'Israeli?

Cheers.
                        LC
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by lynn cates; 02-25-2011, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Hi Lynn. Yes, it looks like Disraeli to me. The primrose was his favorite flower.

Here's more info: http://www.primrose-league.netfirms.com/index2.html

Primrose Badge at British Museum: http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore...gue_badge.aspx

Best regards,
                          Archaic

Comment

ah!

Hello Bunny. Thanks. That answers my question. I should have know that was his favourite flower. Now it all makes sense.

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

take that, anarchists!

Hello All. No, they didn't like Anarchists either.

Cheers.
                              LC
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X