Mrs Gregsten"s "intuition" [Feb.19th 1962]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mrs Gregsten"s "intuition" [Feb.19th 1962]

N.B. Under the rules governing contempt of court,"The Daily Sketch" could not publish this story until after a verdict had been arrived at:
    Two days after Hanratty"s conviction on February 19th 1962 the following story appeared in The Daily Sketch:

Amazing Story of Mrs Gregsten"s Intuition
    SHE SAW HIM AT THE CLEANERS,

......Only eight days after the murder---when Scotland Yard were without a positive clue to the killer-Mrs Gregsten pointed to Hanratty and said"

"Thats the man the police are looking for!"

Mrs Gregsten"s 50 year old brother-in-law *, Mr William Ewer,had taken her to his antique shop in the station arcade at Swiss Cottage,North London,to try to help her get over the tragedy which struck her life.
    On the morning of August 31st,Mrs Gregsten wasstanding in the shop window
    helping Mr Ewer hand a picture--a Wilson Steer* interior.Suddenly she clutched Mr Ewer"s arm and pointed to a man with jet black hair wal;king into Burtol"s cleaners shop only two yards across the arcade.
    "Thats the man,He fits the description" she said."But its more than that ,I"ve got an overpowering feeling that its him"...........
    Said Mr Ewerlast night,"I calmed her down.......I went into the cleaners later and talked to the manageress"
    She told me the man had brought in a green suit on August 21st to have a tear in the coat mendedand the trousers tapered.He had called in that day to ask if it was ready.He gave the name J.Ryan and an address in St John"s Wood.
    Neither Mr Ewer or the police knew that J.Ryan was an alias of James Hanratty or that he stayed with Charles Dixie France ,in the road named, only a mile away.

[Mr Ewer then said he went in search of the man]
    The next day he went to a cafe in Finchley Road.As he sat drinking a cup of tea and pondering the almost hopelessness of the A6 murder he spotted a pair of hand -made Italian shoes
    My eyes travelled upwards to a well cut blue suit.Then I found myself staring into those blue eyes again.It was the same man.
    Stunned by this miracle ,according to the story,Mr Ewer decided to follow the man.He watched him go into aflorists shop in finchley Road.Then,acting on impulse,HE RANG SCOTLAND YARD. A Squad car arrived.I introduced myself and told the police my story. The police[the article doesnt say which police]then made inquiries at the florists shop,and the manageresss there,a Mrs Dorothy Morrell,told them that the man had come in on September 1st and said he wanted to send some roses to his mother-a Mrs Hanratty of 12 Sycamore Grove,Kingsbury.

The article continues:

A report was made to Scotland Yard, but the murder Squad had never heard of Jimmy Ryan---or Kingsbury Road....
    .....but Bill Ewer could not rest.He walked into the shop of a "business associate"-58 year old Mrs Louise Anderson,who has an antiques business in Greek Street Soho,
    He did not know that Hanratty,whom Mrs Anderson had befriended,had been in the shop only that morning.[/I]
    On the very same day as the Sketch article,a very similar article appeared in the Daily Mail by Bernard Jordan.
    The publication of these articles was the first indication that Scotland Yard had Hanratty"s name and his alias long before they started to hunt him as the murderer.
    [Its worth noting that up to that morning, the 31st August, neither in her detailed conversations with policemen nor with the identikit experts had Valerie Storie spoken of the killer"s blue eyes.On the contrary she had told police after the murder he had "deep set" brown eyes".]
    Taken from "Who Killed Hanratty" by Paul Foot.

* Mr Ewer apparently later became Mrs Gregsten"s lover.
    * Wilson Steer---a Chelsea painter whose work commands very substantial sums of money
    Last edited by Natalie Severn; 10-10-2010, 12:44 AM.

Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post

Mrs Gregsten"s 50 year old brother-in-law *, Mr William Ewer,had taken her to his antique shop in the station arcade at Swiss Cottage,North London,to try to help her get over the tragedy which struck her life...

Taken from "Who Killed Hanratty" by Paul Foot.
    Hi Norma

As I mentioned to you at the Conference I lived for ten years in the Swiss Cottage/West Hampstead/Finchley Road area (1969-1979) and so did Paul Foot who was a near neighbour though I was only on nodding terms with him. He would I'm sure have definitely noticed the absolutely amazing coincidence of out-of-towner Mrs Gregston being in the habit of mooching about inside Hanratty's and Alphon's quite small North London patch.
    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Great subject for a post Norma.

I have always been intrigued by this aspect of the case. Did these events actually happen - or were they an attempt to boost the Gregten family funds?

I am also interested to note that the article describes how 'Ewer went to the shop of a business associate louise Anderson'. Ewer denied he knew Anderson so how did the paper get this informatioon for the article. Surely if the article was the result of an interview between Ewer - Mrs Gregsten and the reporter - the information could only have come from Ewer?

There are two things I can conclude from this/these report(s):

1) if the whole thing is hogwash then Ewer's and Mrs Gregstern's honesty is called into question

2) if the story is true Ewer obviously knew Anderson and there is a line of enquiry here that was never followed up.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
        Hi Norma

As I mentioned to you at the Conference I lived for ten years in the Swiss Cottage/West Hampstead/Finchley Road area (1969-1979) and so did Paul Foot who was a near neighbour though I was only on nodding terms with him. He would I'm sure have definitely noticed the absolutely amazing coincidence of out-of-towner Mrs Gregston being in the habit of mooching about inside Hanratty's and Alphon's quite small North London patch.
        Thanks Stephen,
        This accounts for Paul Foot being able to interview the woman in the flower shop,Mrs Dorothy Morrell,who would have been a neighbour of his.Mrs Morrell was still the manageress at Caters Flower shop in 1970,when Paul Foot interviewed her.
        Importantly Mrs Morrell remembered the visit by Hanratty very well and confirmed to him that "two plainclothes policemen made inquiries about him,soon afterwards"
        This means , as Paul Foot asserts,that the name of Hanratty"s mother was known to police soon after 31st August.Similarly that Mr Ewer had informed Scotland Yard about the Flower shop visit at the time.
        Ewer said that the Sketch story was not accurate but it was never made clear which "aspects" of the story were not accurate.[note,he did not deny the story].However, Peter Duffy,The Sketch reporter confirmed in public on a BBC Panorama Programme in November 1966,that it was indeed accurate .Moreover that police were put on the trail of James Hanratty as early as the beginning of September 1961 and this was also confirmed by The Daily Mail and The Daily Sketch by Mrs Dorothy Morrell, the woman in the flower shop.
        Norma

Comment

I have always been intrigued by this aspect of the case. Did these events actually happen - or were they an attempt to boost the Gregten family funds?
          Hi Julie,I hope my post,which crossed with yours demonstrates that Hanratty was indeed seen by Mrs Dorothy Morrell the manageress of the flower shop in Swiss Cottage on that specific date and that Scotland Yard sent two plainclothes policemen to interview her.
          So Mrs Hanratty"s name was known,and it was therefore known by police and by late August/early September 1961, that "Ryan" was her son and that Ryan =Hanratty.
          Norma

Comment

Hi Julie,I hope my post,which crossed with yours demonstrates that Hanratty was indeed seen by Mrs Dorothy Morrell the manageress of the flower shop in Swiss Cottage on that specific date and that Scotland Yard sent two plainclothes policemen to interview her.
            So Mrs Hanratty"s name was known,and it was therefore known by police and by late August/early September 1961, that "Ryan" was her son and that Ryan =Hanratty.
            Norma
            Hi Norma

What I meant by 'was it true?' is the 'she saw him at the cleaners' aspect. Can we honestly believe that the police were able to make a connection between J Ryan and Mrs Hanratty (weeks before the Irish crash and the 'official' version of how the connection was made) simply on some supernatural moment experienced by Mrs Gregtern?? Did the police really take these events seriously based on the version of the story printed in the papers - or was there some other information passed to them at the same time that was never made public?

If these events (Mrs Gregtern's 'funny feeling - not Hanaratty visiting those shops) really formed part of the enquiry into the A6 crime then it makes the evidence presented against Hanratty and the outcome of the trial even more suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
              Hi Norma

What I meant by 'was it true?' is the 'she saw him at the cleaners' aspect. Can we honestly believe that the police were able to make a connection between J Ryan and Mrs Hanratty (weeks before the Irish crash and the 'official' version of how the connection was made) simply on some supernatural moment experienced by Mrs Gregtern?? Did the police really take these events seriously based on the version of the story printed in the papers - or was there some other information passed to them at the same time that was never made public?

If these events (Mrs Gregtern's 'funny feeling - not Hanaratty visiting those shops) really formed part of the enquiry into the A6 crime then it makes the evidence presented against Hanratty and the outcome of the trial even more suspect.
              Thanks Julie,

What seems to be clear is that police were involved in questioning a series of shopkeepers in the arcade---not only the florist [Mrs Dorothy Morrell] and Burtol"s Dry Cleaners but also a photographers shop belonging to an ex-policeman .But no,I do not think it set them on Hanratty"s trail at this juncture.They appeared to have regarded the matter as just another trail leading nowhere .
              What I believe is essential to bear in mind though is that aspects of the story were later corroborated by Mr Ewer himself to The Sunday Times,by Mrs Dorothy Morrell, the manageress of the flower shop in Swiss Cottage , by the photographer and by Mr John Wood, the manager of Burtol"s Dry Cleaners.
              Mr Ewer admitted his involvement in a full 15 point statement he made to "The Sunday Times " on May 16th 1971,in what he called "the true record of my involvement with the A6 murder case" .The statement stated it was he himself who had noticed Hanratty in Swiss Cottage -he says it was "probably early September" that " Ryan"/Hanratty was actually in the same coffee shop at the counter where Ewer was taking a break from business and that Hanratty had next gone either into the photographers shop or the florists next door to it .So Ewer had then "gone looking for the "smartly dressed young man with staring eyes" he had seen going into one of their their shops just minutes before. He drew a blank.The Photographer"s shop manager,an ex-policeman who remembered the incident had not seen him.The Florists shop was all; steamed up so he couldnt see who was inside .However, sometime after the incident when the name Ryan had become public, Mr Ewer went back to the Dry Cleaners,two yards away and directly opposite his shop and enquired if a man named Ryan had ever been there .They said he indeed had .
              And the evidence supplied by Burtol"s Dry Cleaners was given at the trial.
              See next post:-
              Last edited by Natalie Severn; 10-10-2010, 07:01 PM.

Comment

It's amazing that at this stage - with no proper and fully collaborated description of the killer - Ewer and Mrs Gregsten could be so sure they had seen her husband's killer. It's just totally weird - not that Hanratty visited those shops - but that Ewer was so sure he had bumped into his brother-in-laws killer not once - but twice - close to his place of work. It is equally weird that the person he spots and is so sure is the killer - is known to an associate of his.

This is a very strange aspect of the case that bothers me very much. Ewer's role in these events seems very sinister to me.

Comment

Hanratty said in his statement that he had put his green suit in the cleaner"s at Burtol"s in Swiss Cottage on the morning of August 21st, a fact confirmed by Mr John Wood, the supervisor.Mr Wood gave evidence on oath that he had received the suit from a man who gave the name Ryan and the address 72 Boundary Road ,London NW8.It was brought in about 11am 21st August 1961.
                  The Janet Gregsten sighting was supposed to have been on 31st August when she was supposed to have been hanging a Wilson Steer in Mr Ewer"s shop.
                  I can"t find the date when the suit was actually collected but it would be interesting to discover it was on this very day! The Steer painting,by the way, would have been worth a fortune even then---so if that was the sort of "antique" Mr Ewer was selling,he was quite a rich man!
                  Another very important point Mr Ewer made in his "true record" was that he may have known Louise Anderson as a "business acquaintance"!!!!!
                  Food for thought!

Comment

Thanks Julie,
                    Certainly there is something hugely bizarre about all this.
                    Acott,in 1971 is on record as calling the case a "Gas Meter job" meaning someone from "inside the family" had done the job!Did he mean "had paid someone to have the job done ?" or someone from "inside the family" actually "did the job?'

Comment

Thanks Julie,
                      Certainly there is something hugely bizarre about all this.
                      Acott,in 1971 is on record as calling the case a "Gas Meter job" meaning someone from "inside the family" had done the job!Did he mean "had paid someone to have the job done ?" or someone from "inside the family" actually "did the job?'
                      Why did Ewer wait until nearly ten years after the murder to sue against newspaper reports when he could have sued 2 days after the trial?

He acknowledges knowing Anderson as a business associate.

Ewer did not instigate any plot but was blackmailed by Alphon, who performed the murder off the cuff so to speak after hearing Ewer's tale of Gregstens adultery. Ewer's police and establishment contacts came in handy in protecting Alphon.

Once Hanratty's trial was sent to Bedford, Ewer could rest a bit more comfortably and stop paying Alphon's blackmail money.

Bill must have been shitting himself if the truth got out. He could have had his neck in a noose for accessory to murder after the fact.

Derrick

Comment

Originally posted by Derrick View Post
                        Why did Ewer wait until nearly ten years after the murder to sue against newspaper reports when he could have sued 2 days after the trial?

He acknowledges knowing Anderson as a business associate.

Ewer did not instigate any plot but was blackmailed by Alphon, who performed the murder off the cuff so to speak after hearing Ewer's tale of Gregstens adultery. Ewer's police and establishment contacts came in handy in protecting Alphon.

Once Hanratty's trial was sent to Bedford, Ewer could rest a bit more comfortably and stop paying Alphon's blackmail money.

Bill must have been shitting himself if the truth got out. He could have had his neck in a noose for accessory to murder after the fact.

Derrick
                        An interesting theory Derrick. How did Alphon frame Hanratty? I suppose he must have had some help?

Comment

I can"t find the date when the suit was actually collected
                          4th September, just before leaving for Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by NickB View Post
                            4th September, just before leaving for Ireland.
                            Thanks Nick. Do you know where might I find that information?
                            Norma

Comment

Ewer did not instigate any plot but was blackmailed by Alphon, who performed the murder off the cuff so to speak after hearing Ewer's tale of Gregstens adultery.
                              But how could Alphon blackmail Ewer unless Ewer had asked him to do something about it? If all Ewer did was tell Alphon- or whoever - some tale about his brother in law,Gregsten"s adultery, what had he to fear?There was nothing to blackmail him for really---he was perfectly entitled to moan about it-even gossip about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X