Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aggressive Narcissist - Francis Tumblety

Greetings all,

It is amazing to me how much information our experts in the ripperology community have discovered on such an elusive (and interesting) fellow as Francis Tumblety, even though it will probably never be enough. It is not amazing to me that sides have been taken on his status as a viable JTR suspect. That’s a good thing for truth, because it ensures quality arguments (sometimes heated). In view of this, I am still having difficulty accepting something in the case of Francis Tumblety. It seems that many have an image of Francis Tumblety as a cowardly unaggressive charlatan who avoided personal violence at all costs. Taken further by a number of ripperologists, this would mean Tumblety could not have had the courage/fortitude to perpetrate the Whitechapel murders, thus, should not be considered a viable JTR suspect.

I believe when one looks at the field of available evidence in its entirety it reveals someone quite the opposite of this image. This man led two lives, a public one he attempted to promote and a private one he attempted to hide. He had the courage to travel constantly, even internationally, with a business that required daily personal contact with strangers of all flavors. Tumblety must have exuded confidence in order to have been successful in his chosen profession as an Indian Herb Doctor …but was he aggressive? Let’s start with the traits of an aggressive, or malignant, narcissist:

This is the Hare Psychopathy checklist for traits of an aggressive narcissist-
    1. Glibness/superficial charm
    2. Grandiose sense of self-worth
    3. Pathological lying
    4. Cunning/manipulative
    5. Lack of remorse or guilt
    6. Shallow affect (expressing emotions deceptively)
    7. Callous/lack of empathy
    8. Failure to accept responsibility for own actions

Here are Hotchkiss' seven deadly sins of narcissism-
    1. Shamelessness
    2. Magical thinking
    3. Arrogance
    4. Envy
    5. Entitlement-DEFIANCE OF THEIR WILL IS A NARCISSISTIC INJURY THAT CAN TRIGGER NARCISSISTIC RAGE
    6. Exploitation
    7. Bad boundaries (societal norms do not pertain to them).

“When reduced to the subdued state NA (Narcissist-Aggressive)- this individual strongly resembles the self-flaunting UNAGGRESSIVE narcissistic personage N. Of course, he "plays the game", and with his hyperactivity and tendency toward "hypersexuality" he would involve himself in many compulsive dependencies, usually as the subjugator but sometimes as the subjugated individual. As is often the case in the dependency of subjugation, he may become overtly sadistic, especially in frustrating and in playing on the emotions of his subjugated companions, of which there may be several at one time. And he too, if opposed, seeks retribution in the self-justified vindictive triumph. This individual when frustrated can be incited to a narcissistic rage, an aggressive-vindictive rage, or a combined narcissistic-aggressive rage (NA rage).” (Benis A.M. (1985, 2nd edition 2008): Chaps. 5 & 6, in Toward Self & Sanity: on the genetic origins of the human character. Psychological Dimensions, New York, pp. 53-54, 116-122.)

How can one argue against Tumblety being a classic aggressive narcissist? I do not see any of these traits he did not possess. -Grandiose, superficial charm, pathological lying, manipulative, lack of remorse, failure to accept responsibility, bad boundaries, etc. Also, Benis goes onto say that NA types love to travel, just as Tumblety did.

This leads to HOTCHKISS’ NARCISSISTIC RAGE and the triggering of this rage due to narcissistic injury, a trait the deceptive/manipulating Tumblety would certainly have wanted hidden (bad for his image and bad for business). Is there any evidence of Tumblety exhibiting this particular behavior? Recall, Francis Tumblety’s reply to a New York World reporter interviewing him soon after he arrived back in the U.S. from the Whitechapel district. When asked how long the police put him in prison, he stated:

“Two or three days; but I don’t care to talk about it. When I think of the way I was treated in London, IT MAKES ME LOSE ALL CONTROL OF MYSELF.”

Chris Scott just reprinted an article where Tumblety was accused of hiring thugs to beat up an actor. Joe Chetcuti has recently written about four other instances where Tumblety was personally accused of rage/violence (most can be found on Casebook), keeping in mind that they are classified as accusations and not outright convictions:

1. Tumblety kicking an asthmatic patient down a stairwell in 1864.

2. Tumblety initiated a physical fight against an editor named Ralston. Scroll down to where it says "Whipped by an Editor"

3. Tumblety got angry at an attorney on the witness stand in 1880 over the questioning, and the attorney said "I thought (Tumblety) would spring at me to strike. There was a commotion in court."

4. Charges were brought against Tumblety on June 4, 1889 because he struck a man named Davis in the face with his cane in New York. This can be found on pages 189-190 in T. Riordan’s Prince of Quacks book:

“Tumblety was on Clinton Place (now East and West Eight Street) north of Washington Square Park in Manhattan. Washington Square Park was an early an well-known location for picking up male prostitutes. Tumblety saw a young man by the name of George Davis and struck up a conversation about the weather. According to Davis, Tumblety soon "used most insulting language." When Davis objected to this, Tumblety hit him across the face with his cane, reportedly laying his cheek open almost to the bone. As this was happening, a policeman showed up and Tumblety and Davis took off in different directions. Both were soon caught and taken to the Mercer Street Police Station…. At the station, Davis told his story and filed a charge of assault against Tumblety. Apparently the policeman who came on the scene offered support to this charge.”

If you see one cockroach, chances are there are a dozen others hiding from view. We have five known reported cases of Tumblety accused of responding aggressively, so chances are there were dozens more. Even though none led to convictions, my bet is that they all occurred.

Even if I am wrong and Francis Tumblety was not an aggressive narcissist (exhibiting so many narcissistic traits was just coincidental), the evidence clearly demonstrates that he had an aggressive/violent side and was susceptible to bouts of rage. Lack of remorse, lack of emphathy, and rage are a dangerous recipe.

Sincerely,

Mike
    The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
    http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Originally posted by mklhawley View Post
    “Tumblety was on Clinton Place (now East and West Eight Street) north of Washington Square Park in Manhattan. Washington Square Park was an early an well-known location for picking up male prostitutes. Tumblety saw a young man by the name of George Davis and struck up a conversation about the weather. According to Davis, Tumblety soon "used most insulting language." When Davis objected to this, Tumblety hit him across the face with his cane, reportedly laying his cheek open almost to the bone. As this was happening, a policeman showed up and Tumblety and Davis took off in different directions. Both were soon caught and taken to the Mercer Street Police Station…. At the station, Davis told his story and filed a charge of assault against Tumblety. Apparently the policeman who came on the scene offered support to this charge.”

If you see one cockroach, chances are there are a dozen others hiding from view.
    Continuing on, the part you left out from Tim's book:

He pleaded not guilty to the charge and was remanded. Eventually the case was dismissed and the assistant district attorney that tried the case wrote that Davis "is shiftless and untruthful. I would not believe him under oath".

JM

Comment

Just as I pointed out that there were no convictions, but that does not mean it did not happen, especially when Mr. Davis was sitting there with a wound on his face.

Comment

There's no question that Tumblety was a vain, egocentric, self-promoting, homosexual charlatan with a penchant for gaudy clothing, greyhounds and young men. Contemporary newspaper accounts of his exploits, including various arrests as a "disorderly person," abound. And there is evidence that Tumblety could, when provoked, respond physically, to the extent of hitting somebody with his cane. Of course, he always had a reasonable defense for his actions which, even when of doubtful truthfulness, always resulted in acquital. It's important, though, to point out that in no case was he ever accused of physically assaulting a woman, or even threatening violence toward the fairer sex. Indeed, press accounts note the fact that some of his greatest supporters were women, often wealthy ones. So while Tumblety continues to be a fascinating character to study, his standing as a Ripper suspect must remain in the "extremely doubtful" class.
        "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
        Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

An odd coincidence mentioning the Davis case as I recently came across an account of it I hadn't seen before which included an interview with Tumblety in which he gave his version of events
          I am attaching thios which is from the New York World of 10 August 1889
          Chris
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. John Watson View Post
            There's no question that Tumblety was a vain, egocentric, self-promoting, homosexual charlatan with a penchant for gaudy clothing, greyhounds and young men. Contemporary newspaper accounts of his exploits, including various arrests as a "disorderly person," abound. And there is evidence that Tumblety could, when provoked, respond physically, to the extent of hitting somebody with his cane. Of course, he always had a reasonable defense for his actions which, even when of doubtful truthfulness, always resulted in acquital. It's important, though, to point out that in no case was he ever accused of physically assaulting a woman, or even threatening violence toward the fairer sex. Indeed, press accounts note the fact that some of his greatest supporters were women, often wealthy ones. So while Tumblety continues to be a fascinating character to study, his standing as a Ripper suspect must remain in the "extremely doubtful" class.
            Hi Dr. Watson,

As you can see by Chris' new article, Tumblety admits to accosting a person, which means his personality allows for violence. In each case, it was a man who committed the narcissistic violation. Since the man usually avoided women, there would be no cause for narcissistic violation against women. This does not mean he will not he will not attack a women. When you see "extremely doubtful", I see a bias due to happenstance.

You did not anwer my point, though. Would you not agree that Francis Tumblety exhibits an unusual amount of aggressive narcissistic traits?

Sincerely,

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mklhawley View Post
              Hi Dr. Watson,

As you can see by Chris' new article, Tumblety admits to accosting a person, which means his personality allows for violence. In each case, it was a man who committed the narcissistic violation. Since the man usually avoided women, there would be no cause for narcissistic violation against women. This does not mean he will not he will not attack a women. When you see "extremely doubtful", I see a bias due to happenstance.

You did not anwer my point, though. Would you not agree that Francis Tumblety exhibits an unusual amount of aggressive narcissistic traits?

Sincerely,

Mike
              Hi Mike:

He certainly seems to fit the outline you submitted! Do you believe he was Jack the Ripper?
              "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
              Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

Hi Dr. Watson,

I am admittedly biased towards Dr. T because I live so close to his grave and because of my interest in the early writings of SPE. Even so, I absolutely hate the idea of embracing a falsehood, which led me to Casebook last fall. I was not disappointed (still today), since the expert ripperologists have no problem corresponding with enthusiasts like me (even when I frustrate them!). I honestly do not get why some of the arguments against Dr. T. are convincing to people, which is why I challange so much. I'm lovin' it, though.

Sincerely,

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,
                  Your initial thread is well researched and very interesting.
                  He was a narcissist no doubt and you've built a very good case that he was an aggressive one too..lots of stuff in the list I didn't know about.

Sorry if this is slightly off message, but he certainly understood the narcissism of others. He sold a "Dr Tumblety's Pimple Banisher" as you can see from the pic below. His advertising slogan went as follows: "Old Faces made to look Young and Beautiful".
                  Anyway, this is one of the adverts he put in a newspaper for his pimple cure. I found it on the Tumilty/ Tumblety family website http://munro.humber.ca/~tumilty/index.html
                  Pimple cure was on sale for 1 dollar a bottle. Very expensive surely for the time! His office address in the advert is Broadway, New York (I think).
                  Also, there is someone else’s advert for Artificial legs and arms underneath so would it be some time during the Civil War?
                  There is no reference on the Tumilty/ Tumbelty family website about what year the advert ran. Pity.
                  Anyway, he understood narcissism very well (in others) perhaps not in himself and knew how to make money out of human weakness...
                  Attached Files
                  Best,

Siobhán
                  Blog: http://siobhanpatriciamulcahy.blogspot.com/

Comment

Tumblety's Aggression

Hi folks,
                    I've done out a short sample list of gay/bisexual killers who killed the opposite sex therefore I believe Tumblety cannot be excluded as a suspect in the JtR case because of his homosexuality.

See actual sample list in this section of the Casebook: http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=4005&page=4

My sources were:
                    1. Gay Serial Killers website
                    2. American serial killers website
                    3. Wikipedia

Each source I used confirmed that those in the list were either gay/bisexual and killed the opposite sex.
                    So, Tumblety is still a viable suspect. Right?
                    Best to you,
                    Last edited by Siobhan Patricia Mulcahy; 07-26-2010, 07:18 PM. Reason: Formatting
                    Best,

Siobhán
                    Blog: http://siobhanpatriciamulcahy.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X