Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kosminski?

Hello all,

Apologies to all if this has been seen before. Have just come across this website (below), and was struck by the appearance of a drawing, supposedly of Kosminski.

The identity of Jack the Ripper is probably the most famous unsolved crime in history. With the horror and the history surrounding the events, it has

The site states... Contributor: JFrater

Does anyone know where this drawing originates from?

best wishes

Phil
    Last edited by Phil Carter; 04-20-2010, 11:24 PM.
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Never seen that picture before, Phil... but he sure has that 'evil eye' doesn't he? LOL. Looks a lot older than his years too.

Nice hair though... wonder who does it?
    Best Wishes,
    Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Hello, Phil,

I've never seen it before either but it makes a refreshing change from the one so beloved of documentary makers - the clean shaven fellow in the wide brimmed hat being eyed suspiciously by the Vigilance Committe (the bloke, not the hat).

Regards,

Steve.

Comment

It looks like it might be from the same source as the illustrations of Mary Kelly and Nichols that appear in the 1993 map by Daryl Sullivan and Andrew Cockell 'Jack's London'. When they did not have IPN illustrations to base their illustrations on, they made them up. Same yellow background, same style of drawing. I don't own the map, but I'd bet that was the source and if so, its not to be trusted as authentic, since the MJK illustration used in that map was actually a drawing of Andrew Cockell's girlfreind.

Monty owns this map and might be able to confirm or deny the above "Kosminski" illustration comes from 'Jacks London'.

JM
        Last edited by jmenges; 04-21-2010, 05:49 AM.

Comment

I think that was a drawing of Chapman, and not Kosminski.

Mike
          huh?

Comment

More sites

Hello JM, all,

Thanks for the feedback.... here is a little more.

The same illustration, or drawing is found on 10 other websites...
            that makes a total of 11. The majority are European.

(includes a photograph of Isreal Schwartz)(Spanish)

(on a white background)

(together with a photo of John Netley)

The face of Jack the Ripper has been pieced together by Scotland Yard experts from evidence left by the Victorian killer. Modern profiling techniques have been used to form the most accurate portrait ever of the murderer, whose identity has remained a mystery for 118 years. The clues also suggest...

(Spanish)

(White background, Spanish)

(website updated 2009)(German)

(Italian)

(French, c/w an interesting photograph of James Maybrick)

(Japenese, c/w a photograph of Sir John Williams)

best wishes

Phil
            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Phil,

Those websites are pretty new. That picture has been around longer. It isn't Kosminski, that's for sure.

Mike
              huh?

Comment

The origin

Hello Mike,

Indeed.
                I haven't for a minute thought it is (As you saw in my title post, I put a question mark against the name) but the origin was of interest to me, and indeed it's age. JM proposes the origin from 1993. Perhaps Neil can confirm this.
                What it does show is the rapidity of the spreading of the "word" via the internet, far faster than the repetition of mistakes in books down the years.
                If it ISN'T, as has been suggested, a made-up drawing of Kosminski, one wonders just who the person actually is.... which again asks the question where was it's origin?

best wishes

Phil
                Last edited by Phil Carter; 04-21-2010, 01:17 PM.
                Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

If I'm not mistaken that alleged photo of Israel Schwartz is in fact a young George Bernard Shaw!
                  The "Kosminski" image which I have usualy seen on a sepia background is by the same artist who did sketches of the victims but I do not know the artists's name or the original source of these drawings.
                  The alleged John Netley photo was, I believe, a family photo of Joseph Gorman's.
                  Last edited by Chris Scott; 04-21-2010, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Hello Chris,

Shaw eh? Gets around that fellow!
                    Re the "Kosminski" drawing, do you mean an artist from the times of the murders, or more recent as suggested (1993)?

best wishes and many thanks

Phil
                    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Hi Phill
                      Much more recent but I don't know date
                      The sketches (victims and suspects) all look to be by the same artist and look as though they were commissioned for a book/article/website - though which I dont know
                      Below is the drawing of Mary Kelly by what I take to be the same artist
                      Chris
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Chris Scott; 04-21-2010, 07:17 PM.

Comment

And here is the one of Mary Ann Nichols:
                        Attached Files

Comment

Those two above images are the ones I was referring to from the map Jacks London. They were invented by the creators of the map.

JM

Comment

Hi Jonathan
                            Those are the ones!
                            I couldnt remember the source
                            I have to agree with an earlier post in that Im sure Ive read somewhere that this "Kosminksi" pic is in fact an artist's impression of Chapman/Klosowski
                            Chris

Comment

Working...
                            X