Click image for larger version

Name:	WentDwellings89.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	662175

Comment

• Man-Power

Hi Garry.

I was looking at your photo in post #162, the last view, which is of Whitechapel High Street c.1905. I re-attached it here.

If you look at the cart at lower left, you can see a man's legs are visible under it. It isn't being pulled by a horse, but by a human being- perhaps one too poor to own a horse.

Thanks as always for the pics,
      Archaic
      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
        If you look at the cart at lower left, you can see a man's legs are visible under it. It isn't being pulled by a horse, but by a human being- perhaps one too poor to own a horse.
        Well spotted, Archaic. Must be a rickshaw from down Limehouse way.
        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Apparently, it was a mode of transport developed in the town of Bedrock by one F Flintstone. I'm surprised it never caught on.

Comment

• Sclater Street in the mid-Sixties ...

Name:	SclaterSt1965x.jpg
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	662177

And Fashion Street from the same period ...

Name:	fashion60sx.jpg
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	662178

Comment

• Here's another Black Lion Yard scene, date unknown ...

Name:	BLYx.jpg
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	662180

Lavender Place, Pennington Street, with which Mary Kelly was probably familiar ...

Name:	LavenderPlx.jpg
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	662181

And Matters' 1928 photograph of Thrawl Street ...

Name:	ThrawlMattersx.jpg
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	662182

Comment

• Garry I like what you are doing on this thread.

Originally posted by Garry Wroe View Post
                Catherine Court, again date unknown ...
                [ATTACH]11802[/ATTACH]
                The date is 1912-1915. John Avery was commissioned to photograph this view before it was demolished to build the Port of London Authority's new headquarters there in Trinity Square, Tower Hill. (Museum of London)

Paddy

Comment

• Originally posted by Garry Wroe View Post
                  Lavender Place, Pennington Street, with which Mary Kelly was probably familiar ...

[ATTACH]11884[/ATTACH]
                  Oh wow, what a super East End photo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paddy Goose View Post
                    The date is 1912-1915. John Avery was commissioned to photograph this view before it was demolished to build the Port of London Authority's new headquarters there in Trinity Square, Tower Hill. (Museum of London)Paddy
                    Thanks, Paddy. I'll run a search on John Avery in the hope of finding similar images.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                      Oh wow, what a super East End photo.
                      Cheers, Stephen. To be honest, there's not much of an improvement on the original. But I like it, so used it.

Thanks again.

Comment

• Berner Street, 1909 ...

Name:	Berner1909x.jpg
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	662187

Hanbury Street, circa 1918 ...

Name:	Hanbury c1918x.jpg
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	662188

Comment

• Small Child In the Street

Hi Garry.

I agree with Stephen, the photo of Lavender Place is wonderfully atmospheric. Any idea what year the photo was taken? I notice there is a street-lamp directly in front of the covered archway. I wonder how many archways had lamps c.1888, and how many were just scary black holes?

I was looking at your photo of Hanbury Street (the one just above this post) and my eye was immediately drawn to the small child in the middle of the street. It looks to me like a very young child of 4 or 5 years old at most, apparently carrying a basket of some sort. I believe it's a little girl due to the style of hat and the long coat. No adult appears to be with her. She is crossing the street well in front of the man pulling the barrow who is coming toward the camera, and she doesn't seem to be with him. (If she were with him, I think she'd be riding in his barrow and facing the camera.) It's incredible to me that so small a child would be sent out to perform some errand and permitted to cross the street alone in the midst of strangers, huge wagons and horses. Automobiles would have been around by 1918 too.

That photo also gives an idea of how dirty the streets were, though I'm sure they were much worse 30 years earlier.

Thanks and best regards,
                          Archaic

Comment

• Originally posted by Garry Wroe View Post
                            Whitechapel Church, date unspecified ...

[ATTACH]11801[/ATTACH]

Catherine Court, again date unknown ...

[ATTACH]11802[/ATTACH]

And Endell Street, 1877 ...

[ATTACH]11803[/ATTACH]
                            I have seen the mother and child many times before and wondered if the baby was dead. The expression on the motherīs face seems to tell a story.

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                              I was looking at your photo of Hanbury Street (the one just above this post) and my eye was immediately drawn to the small child in the middle of the street. It looks to me like a very young child of 4 or 5 years old at most, apparently carrying a basket of some sort. I believe it's a little girl due to the style of hat and the long coat.
                              Well spotted, Archaic. I never noticed the little girl but there she is. The hat, though, looks to me like a optical illusion caused by sunlight on the pavement and kerb behind her. Also the horses and wagons on the right may well have been stationary so it may not have been too dangerous a manoeuvre by our new little friend.

Best as always

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                                Well spotted, Archaic. I never noticed the little girl but there she is. The hat, though, looks to me like a optical illusion caused by sunlight on the pavement and kerb behind her. Also the horses and wagons on the right may well have been stationary so it may not have been too dangerous a manoeuvre by our new little friend.

Best as always
                                I believe you are correct, Stephen. The horses and drays at the curb on the right side of the street are parked while the only vehicle moving in the street is the man with the handcart coming along some yards beyond the crossing toddler.
                                Christopher T. George
                                Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                                just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                                For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                                RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Working...
                                X