Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Elizabeth Stride: Elizabeth Stride ..who killed her ? - by Jon Guy 43 minutes ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by Derrick 1 hour and 16 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Washing up in public - by Jon Guy 1 hour and 19 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Washing up in public - by RockySullivan 1 hour and 20 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Washing up in public - by Harry D 2 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Washing up in public - by RockySullivan 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Elizabeth Stride: Elizabeth Stride ..who killed her ? - (15 posts)
Druitt, Montague John: Druitts hand writing - (11 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Washing up in public - (8 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Finding more out about MJK - (7 posts)
A6 Murders: The 1961 Landscape - (6 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (5 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Oct 25, 2014, 5:40 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm
Donald Swanson
Dec 9, 2012, 3:40 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.
Mike Covell: A Study in Red – The Secret Journal of Jack the Ripper
March 3, 2014, 3:42 am.
Mike Covell: Almost there….
January 24, 2014, 4:05 am.
Mike Covell: Jack the Ripper - Year in Review 2013
December 28, 2013, 7:31 am.
Mike Covell: Jack the Ripper At Last? - Review
December 9, 2013, 2:08 am.
Mike Covell: From Whitechapel to Whitefriargate
November 27, 2013, 4:15 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Tumblety, Francis

Old 12-16-2009, 10:17 PM
Constable

Default Jack the ripper handwriting and Tumblety's

Has anyone seen that mysteryquest episode on Jack the ripper? In that episode they named Tumblety as a new suspect. A hand writing expert compared the hand writing of the person who wrote the letter sent to George Lusk and the handwriting of Francis Tumblety and she said that Tumblety's handwriting was very similar to the person who wrote the letter sent to George Lusk, the from hell letter. For those that have seen this episode, what are your thoughts on what the hand writing expert said?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:50 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwilson View Post
Has anyone seen that mysteryquest episode on Jack the ripper? In that episode they named Tumblety as a new suspect. A hand writing expert compared the hand writing of the person who wrote the letter sent to George Lusk and the handwriting of Francis Tumblety and she said that Tumblety's handwriting was very similar to the person who wrote the letter sent to George Lusk, the from hell letter. For those that have seen this episode, what are your thoughts on what the hand writing expert said?
johwilson,

The handwriting expert is Michelle Dresbold. I emailed Michelle about the comparisons, and she replied back to me! To me, her arguments are convincing, but some felllow ripperologists are not so convinced. I created a PowerPoint with some sections of Tumblety letters and the From Hell letter, so that you can check for yourself. I just have to figure out how to upload the Powerpoint. Any help?

Mike
Old 12-17-2009, 05:40 AM
Commisioner

Default Tumblety

Hello Jon and MK. I have heard before that a forensic handwriting expert had made that identification. That sounds like the bizarre sort of thing that Tumblety would do. Of course, it would be a leap from there to an identification as Jack.

You might convert the file to a pdf and then upload it--if it's not too large.

The best.
LC
Old 12-17-2009, 06:31 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn cates View Post
Hello Jon and MK. I have heard before that a forensic handwriting expert had made that identification. That sounds like the bizarre sort of thing that Tumblety would do. Of course, it would be a leap from there to an identification as Jack.

You might convert the file to a pdf and then upload it--if it's not too large.

The best.
LC
In the mean time, the following url is Michelle's book (Sex, Lies, and Handwriting) on Google books where she compares Tumblety's handwriting with the From Hell Letter.

http://books.google.com/books?id=kUN...age&q=&f=false

Mike
Old 12-17-2009, 11:34 PM
Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklhawley View Post
In the mean time, the following url is Michelle's book (Sex, Lies, and Handwriting) on Google books where she compares Tumblety's handwriting with the From Hell Letter.

http://books.google.com/books?id=kUN...age&q=&f=false

Mike
I like Tumblety as a ripper suspect, but he would have been 55 years old during the ripper killings and all of the physical descriptions from witness describe the ripper as being much young. Also, I have heard people say Tumblety was taller than most londoners at that time.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:28 AM
Cadet

Hey Mike, Although Michelle Dresbold has had forensic training, her site clearly shows that she operates as a Graphologist.

Quote:
Graphology is the pseudoscientific[1][2][3][4][5][6] study and analysis of handwriting especially in relation to human psychology. In the medical field, it can be used to refer to the study of handwriting as an aid in diagnosis and tracking of diseases of the brain and nervous system. The term is sometimes incorrectly used to refer to forensic document examination.

Graphology has been controversial for more than a century. Although supporters point to the anecdotal evidence of thousands of positive testimonials as a reason to use it for personality evaluation, most empirical studies fail to show the validity claimed by its supporters.[7][8]
This is taken from the Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphology

The analysis of the Tumblety letter on her own site relies on that pseudoscience rather than the actual science of forensic document examination. The only rational conclusion that can be drawn from her use of graphology to compare Tumblety's writing with the "From Hell" letter is that all her conclusions are Highly Suspect because of her use of a totally discredited, pseudoscientific methodology.

Best Wishes, Mike

"Twinkle, twinkle little bat."
Old 09-30-2010, 09:43 AM
Inactive

I haven't seen that particular episode (seen the "Mystery Files" one but that was different, naming Jacob Levy as the suspect), but if they named Tumblety as a "new suspect", then they're already off to a bad start....

Cheers,
Adam.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Went View Post
I haven't seen that particular episode (seen the "Mystery Files" one but that was different, naming Jacob Levy as the suspect), but if they named Tumblety as a "new suspect", then they're already off to a bad start....

Cheers,
Adam.
Hi Adam, there are two shows; Mystery Files (with Jacob Levy as prime suspect) and Mystery Quest (with Mary Pearcey and Tumbelty as the suspects). Both I believe are 2009 productions and I have seen them both, with the Mystery Files easily the best one.
Mystery Quest had Stewart Evans in it as the Ripper Expert.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:29 AM
Inactive

Thanks for that, Kaspar. I'll keep an eye out for the Mystery Quest one.....(they named Mary Pearcey as well? Wow....)

Cheers,
Adam.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:23 AM
Inspector

Yes, it's the MysteryQuest episode. Stewart Evans is the primary ripper expert and they also use Don Rumblelow. Michelle certainly does get into graphology.

Mike