Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jack's identity revealed in the Picture of Dorian Gray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack's identity revealed in the Picture of Dorian Gray?

I recently read that book and didn't see anything that jumped out at me to suggest such a thing. However I read in the Zodiac novel by Robert Graysmith (which I am taking with a few grains of salt) that there was an alleged connection between Jack and Oscar Wilde and that Wilde knew his identity and mentioned who he was in Dorian Gray. Unless I am missing something, can anyone shed light on whether this is true or total fantasy?

Hello Serena

The book you want is The Ripper Code by Thomas Toughill. I thought that there was some discussion of it on the site, but all I found was one forum topic without much content to it. I haven't read the book, so I can't give you any insight as to why the character of Dorian should be read as the ripper.

Comment

"ONE of Oscar Wilde's lovers has been unmasked as a prime suspect for the Jack the Ripper slayings in Victorian London.

A Scots expert in the grisly killings has named society portrait painter Frank Miles as the killer.

Writer Thomas Toughill believes Wilde knew Miles' dreadful secret and left a series of clues in his most famous novel, The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Respected researcher Thomas claims that Wilde worked out the killer was a former lover and unmasked him in the gothic horror story."

Comment

Frank Miles- OK an interesting character- but as Oscar said-

'The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future'
        - A Woman of No Importance
        'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Originally posted by chrismasonic View Post
          "ONE of Oscar Wilde's lovers has been unmasked as a prime suspect for the Jack the Ripper slayings in Victorian London.

A Scots expert in the grisly killings has named society portrait painter Frank Miles as the killer.

Writer Thomas Toughill believes Wilde knew Miles' dreadful secret and left a series of clues in his most famous novel, The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Respected researcher Thomas claims that Wilde worked out the killer was a former lover and unmasked him in the gothic horror story."
          Any relation to Masonic the Hedgehog??
          'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Hello you all!

Interesting; every now and then a famous painter or writer leaves clues to their work about Saucy Jacky...

Haven't they ever heard of the Scotland Yard?!

The second question; since there were litterate and thinking people in the Yard even already in the LVP, how come they didn't catch the clues?!

All the best
            Jukka

(PS. Suzi, I think, that if Jack the Ripper was a celebrity, he was a bear-like figure from Paddington... )
            "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

I bought Thomas Toughill's "The Ripper Code" when it first came out and wasn't overly impressed. It fingers Frank Miles as Jack the Ripper but has little going for it, other than conjecture and hear say.

Our local Waterstones had it displayed in the "Crime Fiction" section, I didn't have the heart to correct them!
              Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Suzi View Post
                Any relation to Masonic the Hedgehog??
                yes...
                he's my flat mate

Comment

Wasn't Miles in an asylum when the Ripper murders took place?
                  Best regards,
                  Adam

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

Comment

Frank Miles was taken to BRISLINGTON Asylum near Bristol in 1887 and died there four years later. Can we stop pointless discussions about totally improbable ripper candidates?
                    Miss Marple

Comment

Working...
                    X