This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Layby

The picture on page 690 of Murder Casebook (number 20), shows the southern end of the layby as it was in 1961. I’m sure that somebody who is less technologically challenged than I am will post it.

The A6 in the 1961 picture is now the southbound side of a dual carriageway.

The concrete strip where the crime took place is now the northbound carriageway.

The bank between these two is now the central reservation.

In the photo, it can be seen how the concrete strip is a junction off the slip road and how the slip road continues to become the loop road – which is the present day layby. Then, as now, it’s well hidden from the main road by trees and hedges.

This loop road bends round and rejoins the A6 about 450 yards north. The concrete strip reached a dead end at the north.

The gunman probably wasn’t over familiar with the layout of where he was, suggesting that he hadn’t visited it in daylight. If he had, he would probably have opted to go into the loop road instead of the open concrete strip. The loop road offered a bit more privacy.

Peter

Comment

• The Power of this Forum

It would be interesting to know how many visitors to the forum started out believing Hanratty to be guilty, but are now not that sure.

Also, how many started out believing he was innocent but are now not quite so sure.

Probably most interesting of all would be to know how many visitors started out having no real view, but are now persuaded one way or the other.

Same questions go for Alphon’s guilt or innocence.

For myself, I have been totally convinced of Hanratty’s guilt since 1962. Reading Paul Foot’s book in 1971 only served to reconfirm this belief.

I have tried, and failed, to put myself in the position of being a Hanratty supporter and wondering what I would think about the DNA evidence.

Peter

Comment

• Originally posted by larue View Post
        how did dixie know which room? did hanratty tell him?
        how did he get the cartridge cases in the first place? did hanratty give them to him?
        how did he gain access to the hotel room?
        Hello Larue

I think I am right in saying that the France family saw the bill from the Vienna when Hanratty visited them a few days later, and the room number would have been on the bill.

I think the room opened up to a public park or gardens at the back and below ground level. There is a possibility someone could have gained access to the room that way. Also, of course, hotels are public buildings and people do come and go unnoticed.

What is for sure is that finding the spent cartridge cases several days after the murder, in a room that Hanratty occupied before the murder is very strange indeed.

Kind regards,
        Steves

Comment

• Originally posted by P.L.A View Post
          Sunday Times major feature on the crime in 1966. Also included an in depth interview with Mrs. France and her brother.

Peter.
          Hello Peter

Do you still have the article? Would you be able to scan and post it, possibly? If not you could send it to me and I will scan and post, and return the original to you afterwards.

KR
          Steve

Comment

• A6 Lay-by Plan ....

.... courtesy of Bob from the old thread.

Originally posted by P.L.A View Post
            The picture on page 690 of Murder Casebook (number 20), shows the southern end of the layby as it was in 1961. I’m sure that somebody who is less technologically challenged than I am will post it.

The A6 in the 1961 picture is now the southbound side of a dual carriageway.

The concrete strip where the crime took place is now the northbound carriageway.

The bank between these two is now the central reservation.

In the photo, it can be seen how the concrete strip is a junction off the slip road and how the slip road continues to become the loop road – which is the present day layby. Then, as now, it’s well hidden from the main road by trees and hedges.

This loop road bends round and rejoins the A6 about 450 yards north. The concrete strip reached a dead end at the north.

The gunman probably wasn’t over familiar with the layout of where he was, suggesting that he hadn’t visited it in daylight. If he had, he would probably have opted to go into the loop road instead of the open concrete strip. The loop road offered a bit more privacy.

Peter
            Attached Files

Comment

• Contemporary photograph ....

.... of the A6 at Deadman's Hill showing the murder scene.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Modern Technology

Although they would have liked the advent of DNA etc. do you think Bob and Ken would have gratefully embraced the introduction of taped interviews?

Peter

Comment

• I think the police were not 100% happy about the introduction of taped interviews, at least not at grass roots level. And those with shall we say methods of their own would have been the least happy.

At the time of PACE I had a friend who was a serving police officer and I remember him telling me that it made huge changes to the way the police operated - which is exactly what it was designed to do!

Comment

• South(end) of layby in 1961. Southend ????

Originally posted by P.L.A View Post

Hi Peter/Bob,

Not wanting to disappoint I have scanned said photo. Now I know where the Tardis was back in 1961.

PS. Looks like my post (291) proved correct ?
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Just as a matter of curiosity does anyone know the approximate distance from the RAC box to the place where Michael Gregsten's dead body lay ?

Comment

• Rac Box To Gregsten's Body

The loop road is about 450 to 500 yards long. My guess is that the end of the concrete strip was about 50 yards from the northern end of the loop road, possibly a bit further. So in general terms we are talking about a quarter of a mile.

Peter

Comment

• The smartly dressed Peter Alphon

Hair slicked/swept back, large staring eyes, nice suit, shirt and tie.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Ask for these last four posts to be removed then.

Comment

• Crime and Investigation channel (Virgin 237)

Hi

If anyone has this cable TV Channel tomorrow evening (Thursday 26th June) at 8.30pm there is a half hour documentary entitled "Infamous Murders-Evidence of Murder". It features 3 different murders, one of which is the A6 Murder. I've never seen this documentary so I can't comment on it. However it looks as if only about 9 or 10 minutes will be devoted to it. Might be worth a view.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve View Post

What is for sure is that finding the spent cartridge cases several days after the murder, in a room that Hanratty occupied before the murder is very strange indeed.
                                It was a little more than "several". It was a full 19 days.

Comment

Working...
                                X