Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Rob,

My parting shot.

It's a spooky shadow that masks Apron Man's body but falls under his left arm.

Regards,

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Hi Rob

Could you explain for those of us who need a map to find our potato croquettes in the freezer, what are those D, T, S, 2, 674, 676 etc signs?

Comment

• Thanks, Alan. You're doing well!

One word. BAPHOMET. Some of you are seeing things that aren't there. I showed you a small, lo-res scan. Pixelation is creating things that are not in the image. There is no board by the man, unless you are seeing the diagonal beam through the railings behind him as such. There is no jutting out of the building. I can however see why you thought that, Simon, but it's not there. The higher up you go the more it looks like that optical illusion of the three-pronged fork. What you saw in the photo is the shadow cast by the roof-level beam before we go far enough back for the whitewashing to start on the IWEC building. Alan is also right that the edge of the shadow of the rear of the main building at #42 ends just overlapping where the whitewashing starts. It is clear is is a shadow when you get to the bottom of the image, where the steps are into the club.

People really cannot see what Alan and I can see from a 72dpi small overprinted jpeg on screen. There is no guesswork here; it is fact as clear as day when you have the actual image in front of you. No one who has seen the proper image has doubted it in any way.

To answer AP, who clearly is ignoring all reason just to get a rise out of everyone (and still hasn't answered my question with his subjective vision), in 1892 the buildings surveyor ordered extensive work on #40 due to its poor condition. It is likely the setts (if, indeed, they weren't there in 1888 anyway and to give them their correct name as setts because cobbles are rounded stones) were laid at that time as part of the building work. It's possible this is when the wooden gate went as well.

Some 1888 reports claim that the yard was partially cobbled, suggesting old work which had uprooted itself.

I couldn't care less about those who think this is a fake or a dupe or even a mistake. I'm moving on now to other issues concerning the picture. Those still in doubt, the playpen is in the corner. Put your toys back in and play.

PHILIP
        Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Hi Simon,

I think it's just the shadow of the building on the left of yard. The sun is quite high up. The person is just inside the yard and you can see the shadow of the building running along the wall. It looks about right, I would have expected him to have been slightly more to the left for the shadow to have completely covering him. I don't read anything sinister or spooky into it though.

Rob

Comment

• Rob

As per our chat yesterday.

I thought that was bad enough but the crap Ive read today far outweighs it.

Next time I suggest to keep it exclusive, it just aint worth it.
            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Hi Rob.

No, I said 1889 and I meant 1889. As used in the lecture, I am referring to a manuscript version that Jake forwarded to me. I checked to make sure and he does indeed say 1889 in the e-mail.

Norma, it was far from good humoured until Rob came on board. There was nothing inflammatory in Rob's post. Just what on earth are you talking about?

PHILIP

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                Could you explain for those of us who need a map to find our potato croquettes in the freezer, what are those D, T, S, 2, 674, 676 etc signs?
                Yes, it would be interesting to have an expert opinion on that. I think 2 and 3 are numbers of stories, and I would guess D and S may stand for dwellinghouse and shop, and even that these plans gave a number to each building that didn't have a street number, but T has me foxed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                  Hi Norma,

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can see that Apron Man is steadying a "board" of some kind under his left arm.

Ash, you have driven me to drink. So I raise a glass of Californian Chardonnay to you while I take my leave of this 'Niceargument'.

Catch you next time.

Regards,

Simon

Cheers Simon,
                  ---the Chardonnay sounds good!

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                    Hi Rob

Hi Robert,

D = Dwelling
                    T = Tile roof
                    S = Shop
                    The numbers in the building corners 2 or 3 is how many floors there are.
                    The numbers along the Berner Street side are house numbers.
                    The 674, 676 is a question for Jake. The building with 670 by it is a stable.

Rob

Comment

• Thanks Rob.

Comment

• Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
                        Hi Rob.

No, I said 1889 and I meant 1889. As used in the lecture, I am referring to a manuscript version that Jake forwarded to me. I checked to make sure and he does indeed say 1889 in the e-mail.

PHILIP
                        I think Jake may be in error on the date. The only Goads of Dutfields Yard I know about is the 1899 one, but I could be wrong.

Rob

Comment

• Lets leave off hey Philip.I understand the pic ,while a great treat to see, wasnt quite as clear as the original-thats probably been a bit of a problem actually.But Rob"s map was very helpful,and I do agree with Ally that Rob certainly deserves to be congratulated ,along with yourself,for all the hard work that has been put in and for letting us see it.
                          Cheers
                          Norma

Comment

• Wow. I love spending my lunch reading all of this. Mr. Phil, thanks for this photo. I have no doubt that what you have shared with us is the yard in question. I hestitate to interrupt the vitriol, but I wanted to share a thought.

IMO, Liz was a Ripper victim, and the more I look at this photo, and the closeness to entryway just supports my hunch. I have read the testimony describing the location of the body, but my imagination had the layout a little different, and maps only capture so much.

With the escalating violence that Jack was employing, being this close to the entry was very rash and risky. Jack was arrogant and daring, and to slaughter someone this close to road, with no viable exit strategy other than the gate screams impulsive and (for lack of a better term) crazy. I don't know if I would go so far as say that he was daring people to catch him, but I do think that the impulsivness of the crimes, and the immediate need to quench the bloodlust is supported by the proximity of the location of Liz's body to the gate.

Just a thought from a self-admitted ankle-biter. Thanks for the books, everybody. I have a lot of your names sitting in my living room.

R

Comment

• Damn ... a day late and I miss the photo. Oh well, congrats again to Phil ....

Comment

• Originally posted by Leatherface View Post
                                I have a lot of your names sitting in my living room.

R
                                Best quote ever.

Can I refer you to an excellent item that Tom Wescott wrote in Ripper Notes 27, making an interesting case for what could have happened. It's only an idea but it sounds pretty good to me. Anyone know where Tom is, by the way? I would have expected him to have commented on this business.

PHILIP

Comment

Working...
                                X