Jack the........ Police Officer??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack the........ Police Officer??

I've heard it been suggested that Jack the Ripper could have been a police officer or someone dressed as a police officer but never took much notice of the theory until I read part of an article I read recently on casebook, which I have cut and pasted below:

Further research by Bernard BROWN has provided an is an addendum to this article:
    In the early hours of Friday 7th January 1899 a woman of the "unfortunate classes" walked into Arbour Square Police Station (off Commercial Road) and demanded to see the officer in charge. The woman, well known to the local constabulary, as Emily WOOD, aged 40 years of 11, Hungerford Street, Commercial Road, east London appeared to be in a state of intoxication and was promptly arrested for drunkenness. However, on being searched by a female warder her clothing was found to be saturated with blood. The Divisional Surgeon was summonsed and on his arrival found that the injured woman had been stabbed in "a delicate part of the body" causing a two inch long wound from which she was bleeding profusely. He ordered her immediate removal to the London Hospital where she was treated and later removed to St George's Infirmary.

Due to much loss of blood the victim remained in the infirmary in a very weak state but fortunately recovered sufficiently to tell the authorities a quite remarkable tale.

It would appear that between the hours of 1am and 2am Emily WOOD, a widow, was walking along Commercial Road when she was accosted by a Police Officer in uniform. As they walked towards a street corner she alleges the policeman stabbed her. The victim stated that she had known the officer for some time and would easily recognise him again. She described him as being tall and dark with a black moustache. An unnamed "H" Division (Whitechapel) constable remembered speaking to WOOD by the corner of Stepney Causeway at about a quarter past one when he asked her why she was out at that hour, but she made no complaint. The officer was subsequently pointed out by WOOD as being the constable who spoke to her earlier, but was not her attacker, yet it was at the junction alluded to that police later found pools of blood.

So after reading of this apparently unprovoked attack, I started to consider the police officer theory some more. Has anyone else got anything to add??

Best regards,

Adam
    Best regards,
    Adam

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

I am extremly interested in this theory. Being a police officer or having the appearance of one would be the perfect alibi if caught during the act of mutilation.

Comment

jack the cop

from all the eye witness accounts jack could not have bee a policeman
      he wasnt tall inof

Comment

Hi Adam,

I read this story about a year ago. Interesting enough but reminescient of the kind of "Facts" given by Emma Elizabeth Smith.

If Jack was using various ruises, why didn't he use them during his 1888 murders? All the witness descriptions state normal looking indaviduals.

Seems too odd to be connected to the ripper. If it WAS him, why such a break between killing periods? Does that mean, maybe Coles and Mckenzie were victims too? And also, why did he, once again, if Tabram fell under his knife, did he resort to stabbing? Relapse maybe?

Yours truly
        Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Well Jack being a police officer would certainly answer a lot of questions, but I don't think so. It was just too risky for him.

Remember that one of the nearest neighbours to the site of Kate Eddowes' murder was an off duty police officer. Likewise, PC Smith had passed through Berner Street and saw Liz Stride a matter of minutes before she was killed. In either of these cases, had either of these policemen, on or off duty, bothered to have a good enough look, they would surely have recognised one of their own?

A police officer would have known every nook and cranny and would have been smart enough to kill, if they were intending to do so, in areas where there was no chance at all of being discovered.....this wasn't the case with Jack.

But still, it's an interesting possibility.

Cheers,
          Adam.

Comment

Originally posted by corey123 View Post

If Jack was using various ruises, why didn't he use them during his 1888 murders?
            These Ruises you speak of, are they Mexican?

Mike
            huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Jack View Post

[B]So after reading of this apparently unprovoked attack, I started to consider the police officer theory some more. Has anyone else got anything to add??
              A few years ago there was a man here, David 'Dalek' Moore, who claimed to have the skinny on PC Harvey and some sort of identity switch thing, with Harvey ending up in either Broadmoor or Dartmoor. He claimed to have written a book and to having had a press release, but it seems to have never happened. There is also the railway policeman theory which is kind of fun.

Chris published some things about PC Brown, a Jewish policeman who had a bit of a checkered past, no real relatives, and failed to appear for parade on or about the time of Kelly's murder. He committed suicide the day after her inquest (I think). Yet, he wasn't assigned to an East End beat that we know of, though that is possible.

Look around the site here to find more.

Mike
              huh?

Comment

it is a theory i have long since subsribed to, it may explain much of the theory regarding a cover up. The police in the east end at that time were not popular, the media and the vigilance committee were from what i have read very anti police. can you imagine the outcry should it be revealed that it was the protector themselves who were guilty ?? there would have been a revolution on the streets of London !! plus it may also explain why the women themselves trusted the murderer enough to go into quiet places with them ? i have oftern thought that the break between the double event and the kelly murder could have been due to officers working in pairs, couples with the fact that there were also officers brought in from other areas. When november came round and there hadnt been a killing for some time, perhaps he had some more freedom again ? who knows ? were there any officers relieved of their duties after this time for undisclosed reasons ?

Comment

This theory, in my most humblest of opinions, is bunkum.

Just my considered view which, as it stands, matters not.

Monty
                  Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

I've got your back on this one Neil.

Don.
                    "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

why would this theory be any more unlikely than any other postulated ? why would it being a policeman or someone dressed as a policeman be such a ridiculous concept ?

in my opinion, the likelihood of it being a person in authority or appearing to be is such a logical one. A policeman who was well known on a route would be a person trusted.

Can you imagine the fear of those women working, particularly after the second murder, and the thought that it may just be them ? yet knowing that they had to ? i recently saw a documentary about the Yorkshire Ripper when it was seemingly just prostitutes who were being slain, the girls working those areas knew that they were at risk yet they had to do what they did, regardless of the risk. The girls in 1888 would have been no different, probably even more desperate in fact, they never had a welfare state to help them out. Granted the alcohol they were probably absorbing may have given them a little dutch courage as they ventured out but irregardless, it was still a fear in the back of their minds surely ?...a friendly looking policeman approaching them may have given them a little more comfort in their minds, who knows whether the policeman himself may have been known to have dabbled a bit with knee trembles in the past ??

Granted its only another angle, but its by no means an outlandish one in comparison to some others which have been put forward over the years !!

Comment

The Policeman theory seems very much like the "Invisble Man" theory, that the killer was in some uniform or dressed as a tradesman so mundane that people would overlook the Ripper. Because you wouldn't "notice" a Milkman, Bakers boy, or the like in the area.

Now my sceptisism of the Police Uniform idea is two fold: Partly because on the night of the "double event" the bodies seemed to have been found in avery tight time frame. If somebody had passed the "invisible" Ripper and stumbled onto the dead bodies, would they not double back and look for the Bobby they just saw?

Also there is the fact that the Police Officers who were first on the scene (and may have been the Ripper claiming to have found the body) all seem pretty well documented. Though it could be that the Ripper was dressed as a Policeman but not witnessed with the bodies, hence no report. But even so, if there HAD been a Policeman lurking at or near a scene of crime, would it not have been mentioned? And would it not have been checked up on: "Ah PC49 was seen enar by? Maybe he saw something? He didn't? AGAIN? Darned luck of the boy, that's the third time..."

At the risk of boring you to death, and seeming only slightly more of a Layman than I am... Could the "Policeman" have been in the old Railway sense of the word. A guy who would be considered a hand signalman in todays parlence, who "counted" trains in and out of an unsignalled section of track or tunnel. Though I think these chaps had been largely replaced by semaphore signals, and frankly I don't see what kind of a disguise this would offer, other than being out in dark clothing at all hours.
                        There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden

Comment

If he was a Beat Officer he ran the risk of a check up by the Beat Sergeant at any moment......or a nightwatchman.....or a landlord......

If he wasnt a Beat Officer then he ran the risk of the real Beat Officer at any moment. Do you think PCs did not know there fellow constables? Even covering Bobbies would have been recognised.

If he was in uniform he ran the risk of being accosted by Joe Public and having to attend ANY situation which arose.

Just a few off the top of my head.

Knocking off a prostitute and having a fly cuppa is one thing. Murder aint.

Im afraid you are all ignoring the practicalities of this theory,

Again, my opinion.

Monty
                          Monty

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                            If he was a Beat Officer he ran the risk of a check up by the Beat Sergeant at any moment......or a nightwatchman.....or a landlord......

If he wasnt a Beat Officer then he ran the risk of the real Beat Officer at any moment. Do you think PCs did not know there fellow constables? Even covering Bobbies would have been recognised.

If he was in uniform he ran the risk of being accosted by Joe Public and having to attend ANY situation which arose.

Just a few off the top of my head.

Knocking off a prostitute and having a fly cuppa is one thing. Murder aint.

Im afraid you are all ignoring the practicalities of this theory,

Again, my opinion.

Monty
                            thats quite a romantic notion regarding the prostitute and the fly cuppa !!.....let me just do my zip up...right im off then .....lovely cuppa by the way Polly !!

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                              thats quite a romantic notion regarding the prostitute and the fly cuppa !!.....let me just do my zip up...right im off then .....lovely cuppa by the way Polly !!
                              Watkins did almost just that.

Monty
                              Monty

Comment

Working...
                              X