Ripperologist 94

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripperologist 94

Thanks for the first two articles,in Ripperologist 94, "George Yard Revisited" and "Martha Tabram-Was She or Wasnt She".These were very interesting and instructive reads Don -and thanks to Jane, for the equally interesting illustrations.
    I noticed though, that there was no mention of the newly built Toynbee Hall[opened in 1885]which was and still is ,just a few yards from where Martha was found murdered in George Yard Buildings.
    I believe Toynbee Hall could be a significant address, since there was quite a large turnover of young Oxbridge graduates, resident for several months at a time ,at Toynbee Hall from 1885 and including 1888.They were mostly complete strangers to the area and had been encouraged to work and help "educate the poor working men of Whitechapel" by Reverend Barnett during his religious sermons at their colleges in Oxford and Cambridge,usually the preceding year.Another ,a graduate of Cambridge University,was the Duke of Clarence, who gave a very supportive speech to the newly formed Toynbee Hall Committee in 1885 and paid several subsequent visits.
    At least the name of one of these ,and one of the most active of the graduate s for a number of years was Arthur "Dyke Acland",the Dyke Aclands do actually feature in Ripper literature,since one of the cousins married Caroline Dyke Acland, who was the daughter of the eminent doctor, Sir William GULL---asserted by a number of Ripper authors to have been Jack the Ripper.
    Probably all coincidence -but worthy of mention ,since the Toynbee Hall residents and the George Yard residents were after all very close neighbours in 1888!
    I have a couple of further points to raise regarding your article on Martha Tabram ,but will do so another day!
    Cheers

Natalie
    Last edited by Natalie Severn; 09-07-2008, 04:02 PM.

I've read Ripp 94 last week and I enjoyed it very much.
    I would say (please Don, forgive me...) that I interpret the verdict of "not proven", as a step towards Martha's canonicity.
    In fact, out of all the articles, there is only one paragraph that I disliked. It's about Emma Smith ("One hundred and twenty years ago" by Amanda Howard), and it seemed to me that the assault on Emma has been novelized.
    Were there four men? For sure?
    Did each of these men rape Emma?
    Hmmmm....

Amitiés,
    David

Comment

Hi David,
      This was something I noticed too. The original police files on the Whitechapel Murders opened with Emma Smith and included Martha Tabram. Emma Smith was attacked the night of Easter Monday-a Bank Holiday .It was Martha Tabram"s turn the night of the very next Bank Holiday Monday.I dont really hold with the idea the Ripper was a skilled throat cutter from the word go---he learnt as he went along probably and the mutilation clearly intensified -when he could fit it in without getting himself caught. Polly got off lightly viz a viz removal of innards and the horrors seen in the cases of the later victims.

Comment

Hello Norma,
        how are you well (comment vas-tu bien?)?
        You are right about the Bank Holiday, and to this we could add some more arguments against the "gang" theory.
        But letting this alone - since it was not the purpose of the article -, I was surprized by the way Amanda Howard gave details of the assault...Really sounds like a novel.
        Especially the 4 rapes are shocking. I've always believed that poor Emma had been raped by one "blunt instrument" that caused her death, nothing more.

Amitiés,
        David

Comment

David,

I would say (please Don, forgive me...) that I interpret the verdict of "not proven", as a step towards Martha's canonicity.

Nothing to forgive--differences of opinion make for politics, horse races and, it would seem, Ripperology. But had I intended the article, or verdict, to be a step toward canoncity I would have said so. Still, not having been there (gee that's a surprise to everyone--I hope) and considering the paucity of data, I felt there were no compelling reasons to have her enter the canon.

As it is, the Scots verdict in capital cases is often, and only half-humorously, interpreted as "Don't do it again!" So perhaps what I meant is "Don't plead for Martha's inclusion again until you have much newer and better reasons."

Nats,

I dont really hold with the idea the Ripper was a skilled throat cutter from the word go---he learnt as he went along probably and the mutilation clearly intensified

No question the mutalations seemed to intensify, but I would disagree about the throat cutting. There is little to differentiate the throat cuts of Polly Nichols fron those of Annie Chapman or Kate Eddowes: two viscious, deliberate and well-placed slashes. And they are nothing like the wounds to Martha Tabram's neck. You could be right and Jack was simply a quick learner and he managed to perfect the technique (with, as far as we know, no intermediary attacks) in three short weeks. Too much for me to accept, but as I said to David: politices, horse races and Ripperology.

IRegardless, I am happy that you both found the issue enjoyable--we do try.

Don.
          "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Hello Don,
            if Martha was canonical, I would have understood (or rather felt) the verdict of "not proven" in a "negative" way...
            Somehow, my post was a "blessing in disguise" for your "over-objectivity" and well-balanced article, in spite of your own opinion.

Amitiés,
            David

Comment

Signed up a few episodes ago and am a satisfied customer. Thanks Adam for the good service. Kudos to all.

Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
              I believe Toynbee Hall could be a significant address...
              Map showing the relative position of-
              Click image for larger version

Name:	whitemap.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	654792
              Sink the Bismark

Comment

David,

Merci!

I strove to be objective and that I succeeded to some extent at least is a welcome compliment

Roy,

I think every member of TeamRip, and especially Adam, will appreciate the kudos.

Don.
                "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Hi Natalie,

Thanks for that information, it has piqued by curiousity! I'm going to go an have a read up on Toynbee Hall tomorrow!

It sounds as if it would make a good article all on its own.

Hope you are keeping well, it seems ages since the conference doesn't it? I do read all of your posts though!

Much love

Jane

xxxx
                  Last edited by Jane Coram; 09-09-2008, 03:37 AM.
                  I'm not afraid of heights, swimming or love - just falling, drowning and rejection.

Comment

Yes, another good issue. I was wondering when someone was going to start chatting about it. The piece on George Yard Buildings gave me a much better idea of the layout of the place than I had before.

I don't know about Martha, though. The more I think about it, the more I tend to believe that she was an example of Jack's early work. But, like Don says, if I have no new evidence to offer, I should just shut up about it.

No review this time, Ally?
                    Last edited by The Grave Maurice; 09-09-2008, 03:58 AM.

Comment

As we enter the 120th September since Jack the Ripper prowled the East End streets, we at Ripperologist take a look back at the events of August 1888 as the Autumn of Terror began.

In his editorial, Don Souden warns readers of what lies ahead, and suggests we get ready for a Rip Roaring Ride.

We set the scene for the imminent mayhem with an in-depth, illustrated look at George Yard, into which steps Don once again to ask Martha Tabram: Does She or Doesn’t She?

Was she a Ripper victim? There's just time to ponder the question before we move on to Bucks Row, where Amanda Howard looks at the identity of the first victim from another angle in One Hundred and Twenty Years Ago. Michael Connor offers an up-to-date overview of the candidacy of Charles Cross, aka Charles Lechmere, before Chris George examines the possibility of the Ripper, Lechmere or not, accessing Whitechapel underground station in his Escape from Buck’s Row.

We're delighted to republish Karyo Magellan's detailed examination of the neck wounds sustained by the victims in Cutthroat, this time in serial form, accompanied by a corresponding illustrated look at the mutilations suffered by each victim.

As an introduction to our forthcoming Suspects series Adam Wood looks at the panic on the streets of Spitalfields and the danger of attracting too much attention in The Cry from a Thousand Throats.

Jenni Pegg's Whitechapel Times and Chris Scott's Press Trawl lead to our reporting of the very latest news and reviews to round off the issue.

But that's not all - this is just the first of a quartet of special issues, themed around the 120 anniversary of these terrible crimes. Parts 2, 3 and 4, covering September to November, are on their way. Incisive articles. Surprise contributors.

Be prepared. Be a subscriber.

6 all-colour issues direct to your email inbox for just £12. Subscribe now!

Would you like to write for Ripperologist? We'd love to hear from you - and you could win £100! Send your ideas to contact@ripperologist.info

Best wishes,
                      Adam Wood
                      Executive Editor,
                      Ripperologist

6 all-colour issues direct to your email inbox for just £12. Subscribe now!

Comment

Originally posted by Supe View Post
                        No question the mutalations seemed to intensify, but I would disagree about the throat cutting. There is little to differentiate the throat cuts of Polly Nichols fron those of Annie Chapman or Kate Eddowes: two viscious, deliberate and well-placed slashes. And they are nothing like the wounds to Martha Tabram's neck. You could be right and Jack was simply a quick learner and he managed to perfect the technique (with, as far as we know, no intermediary attacks) in three short weeks.
                        I absolutely agree with Don's words here.
                        There is no sign of any trial and error on Nichols throat cut - there is determination, efficiency and feriocity right from the start. And we don't see anything like this at all on Tabram only three weeks earlier.
                        The Ripper may have developed in his abdominal mutilations, but I can't agree that also includes the troat cut.
                        It was, by the way, a very good article.

Let me also say that I have to consider this issue of the Rip as the best one ever, with - among others - the article about George Yard and Martha Tabram, not to mention Karyo Magellan's interesting study of the neck wounds. I also enjoyed Adam Wood's and Michael Connor's articles very much.
                        Completely packed with loads of interesting, relevant articles on issues that are debated at the moment.
                        Also including a lot of interesting illustrations I haven't seen before.

I also want to congratulate Jane on the illustrations. Are those from George Yard actually drawn by hand with a pencil or graphite pen? If so, it was very intriguing and positive to see Jane use this material. Great work.

An extremely good issue. Congratulations to all involved.

All the best
                        Last edited by Glenn Lauritz Andersson; 09-09-2008, 09:43 AM.
                        The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

And here's the cover!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Yep, Glenn, Ripperologist 94 really offers a lot of interesting and well written material, no doubt about it!
                            Since I never leave you a minute´s peace on the Tabram issue, though, I will not do so now either.

"there is determination, efficiency and feriocity right from the start. And we don't see anything like this at all on Tabram only three weeks earlier"

...is what you write, and that is rather a sly way of putting it, "right from the start". I truly and genuinenely feel that Nichols was NOT the start, and in my wiew the correct wording of the phenomenon would be that "there is hesitation right from the start, as shown in the tentative cut to Tabrams lower abdomen and the hap-hazard cutting in the same region of Nichols. It was not until Chapman that the Rippers intentions took full flight."

The cut to the neck, Glenn, is not an element we need to single out as something that gave the Ripper the gratification he came for, I think. That part lies in the eviscerations and the eviscerations only, and that is where Jack is given away - he was NOT all that efficient from the outset.
                            To Jack, cutting the throat, I believe, was something that would have resembled cocking the trigger of a gun. A precaution, a sheer necessity. When that was done, he was ready to fire away.

The best, Glenn!
                            Fisherman

Comment

Adam, you asked for feedback : I have read a fair bit of the mag, and I think it's a very good issue.

Re ideas for an article, my idea is :
                              1. I send you an article.
                              2. You send me a cheque for £100.

Comment

Working...
                              X