Ep #26 - Dorset Street- Fiona Rule on 'The Worst Street in London'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ep #26 - Dorset Street- Fiona Rule on 'The Worst Street in London'

Episode 26- Dorset Street- Fiona Rule on 'The Worst Street In London' is online now.

Ms. Rule's book is out 9 September but the podcast has it covered!

Joining the show, along with Fiona Rule, was Coral Kelly from the Whitechapel Society and Robert McLaughlin, author of The First Jack The Ripper Victim Photographs.

Listen in as we discuss this most unique and notorious of streets, it's tenants and it's landlords, now a part of history.

JM

Fabulous stuff; I was already looking forward to the book coming out, and now I can't wait. Thanks for bringing this to us!
    best,

claire

Comment

This was a great podcast! It focuses a lot on the Jack Mcarthy that many of us suspect was a nefarious slumlord. This should spark a lot of debate and cast doubts upon the Kendall book regarding Saint Jack.

Cheers,

Mike
      huh?

Comment

I have tried to listen to these podcasts, but when I click "subscribe" I get "page can't be displayed".

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
          I have tried to listen to these podcasts, but when I click "subscribe" I get "page can't be displayed".
          Robert,

Go here: http://idisk.mac.com/rippernet-Public?view=web

This is where I download them per Covell and Menges. They are really nice.

Mike
          huh?

Comment

Thanks Mike. I see from the link that I am now in the realm of MP3 players, so I will get my nephew or niece on the job. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a wind-up gramophone version.

Comment

Robert,

If you have a PC, you should just have to click on the arrow to the right of any of the broadcast files. It will automatically play, after it loads, on your built-in media player. No need to call in the fire department.

Mike
              huh?

Comment

Page cannot be displayed

Hi,

I believe that if you click on the subscribe button and the error 'Page cannot be displayed' comes up, it is due to certain Firewall settings in your browser (not your main computer). This has been know to happen with Internet Explorer in particular. Anti-Phishing stuff that is set up by default in your browser that one can change manually.

That about exhausts my knowledge of Firewall settings in IE/Windows. If someone with a bit more knowledge wants to chime in please...

The subscribe button will probably work in other browsers, and I would encourage people to try iTunes and see what happens when subscribing to the podcast from there and not the site's purple button if you are gettting errors.

Using the podcast's public folder is fine, but keep in mind that the shows get put into there last and sometimes hours after the show has been released via subscription into iTunes or other podcast grabbers.

JM
                Last edited by jmenges; 09-06-2008, 05:25 PM. Reason: clarification...re browser firewall

Comment

Hi Mike and JM

Thanks for that. I will do my best to tune in.

Comment

Hey, the arrow worked. I started to listen to Sudden Death, but it's two hours long so it will have to be in chunks.

JM sounded as though he was desperately trying to get a cigarette lighter going, and How Brown was sucking a peppermint.

Comment

Exactly.

Trying to get my gas stove to light a cigarette.

Please! Don't judge the overall quality of the podcast from those early shows, we've vastly improved the sound quality and our own comfortableness with the format since Episode 1.

Thanks,

JM

Comment

Can I just say I found the podcast fascinating, Fiona really knows her stuff. I did get a bit annoyed with the Fiona Kendall-Lane quotes that kept popping up though, I didn't think that they added anything. Great interview!

Comment

Brilliant Jon!!
                          Just finished the book and Fiona was excellent!- Got a few dodgy lighters here too!- Somehow I've become obsessed with Jack (!) Mc Carthy and the ins and outs up to Kay and beyond are intriguing me big time!..Hmmmmmmmmm I'm CONVINCED'' there's something here and as Coral says..we wait we wait..... Hmmmmmmm
                          'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Working...
                          X