Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by caz 14 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Sam Flynn 25 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by rjpalmer 39 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by caz 40 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Sam Flynn 44 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Sam Flynn 53 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - (30 posts)
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - (5 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Old 09-13-2017, 12:42 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Know what? I reckon if the Angel Gabriel descended from Heaven with the True Origin Of The Diary graven in letters of fire upon a golden tablet and signed 'God', he'd be argued with.....Graham
Too true, "one off instance" wasn't in use as an expression in the context it was used in the Diary in 1888/9
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:45 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Yes Mike, I agree, a person's handwriting can and often does change with time, but the difference in styles which I believe is evident in the Diary could not be accounted for in such a way, assuming that the Diary was written in a relatively short space of time.

There is no way, IMHO, that any of the handwriting in the Diary can be matched with the handwriting in the SS Baltic letter. The writing in Maybrick's will is still a bone of contention, as there are those who believe that someone else wrote it at Maybrick's dictation when he was on his death-bed.

Graham
Does his marriage certificate still exist at all? There is surely something still in existence that James put a pen to, one would think. What happened to the contents of the home after his death? Where they shared among the immediate family?
Old 09-13-2017, 12:45 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
. Or could a seriously disturbed drug addict have seen his Ripper identity as a kind of alter ego and so used a different hand?
No, not a chance.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:49 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
No, not a chance.
One thing I've read is that even when a person tries hard to disguise their writing, literally using a different hand, or constructing letters in a different way, they still manage to give glaring clues away of their identities.

Another thing a person tends to do when disguising their identities when writing is to revert back to their own style partway through without having realized it, which is why experts tend to start from the end of a text and work their way back, and this is something that was echoed in the recent H.H. holmes show on History by an analyst studying the "Ripper letters".
Old 09-13-2017, 12:52 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J. G. View Post
Does his marriage certificate still exist at all? There is surely something still in existence that James put a pen to, one would think. What happened to the contents of the home after his death? Where they shared among the immediate family?
Phew-wee, Mike, you're asking the wrong person. But somewhere there must still exist samples of JM's handwriting - like for example is there some kind of a Historical Society covering the Liverpool Cotton Exchange which keeps archives? I mean, my family were very much working-class (for which I forgive them...) in the second half of the 19th century, but they certainly left behind a whole lot of hand-written correspondence.

Graham
Old 09-13-2017, 12:55 PM
Superintendent

If it was possible to completely disguise one's hand writing over a 60 plus page document, wouldn't this mean that hand writing analysis would be obsolete?
Old 09-13-2017, 12:55 PM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J. G. View Post
Yes, and as I've said, the added "e" to "post haste" implies that this was a subconscious addition due to having already written "Poste House."

Either that, or Maybrick was as thick as they come, and thought that a random "e" was just added to post in any circumstance.

People seem too willing to ignore blatant errors to lend credence to a diary that has thus fat had zero evidence in its favour, yet a lot of evidence going against it.
Or.....it was a spelling error that he repeated, as the evidence shows when he did it with the phrase 'post haste'. As people sometimes do. But of course, that's impossible!

It's pretty obvious that everyone who either thinks the diary is genuine or even allows of a slight possibility that it might be are all gullible idiots. Diary discussion really should be avoided! Nothing in ripperology attracts such strident bias. I should have learned my lesson and avoided this thread.
Personally, my life isn't changed one bit by the diary being genuine or not. I don't claim to be an expert in anything but I've read all the books (including the new one unlike some) and am not convinced that it has been conclusively disproven (anywhere near so.) 'Amateurish?' - no way. Mike Barrett the master forger 25 years later and it's still around. Hitler diary - 6 months.
I'll leave everyone to their comfortable certainty

Herlock

"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Old 09-13-2017, 12:56 PM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
No, not a chance.
Says it all.

Bye.

Herlock

"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Old 09-13-2017, 12:57 PM
Sergeant

When anyone can verify that the Tavern was referred to as the "Post(e) House" let me know, as this is obviously yet another of those obscurities that James was a master of knowing, while the rest of the city sits in ignorance of the fact, including the clever folk at central library who make it a point to fact-check many historic details for people from all walks of life.

Thus far, the only people who have this obscure knowledge are the now-dead Maybrick/The Ripper, and a mate of Caz, who she can't name for reasons that aren't clear to anyone other than her.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:59 PM
Superintendent

There's an archive in the U.S.A with examples of Maybrick's hand writing.