Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Sam Flynn 35 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 36 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Sam Flynn 50 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 54 minutes ago.
Visual Media: New play about Jack the Ripper (Denver, CO) - by emlodik 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 7 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (70 posts)
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - (1 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Bucks Row Project - (1 posts)
Visual Media: New play about Jack the Ripper (Denver, CO) - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Pub Talk

Old 04-08-2017, 03:55 AM
Cadet

Of the many thing Trump has done here, he certainly hasn't settled a conflict.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 04:49 AM
Commisioner

I wouldn't be too concerned about Putin either. The Russian economy is not diversified like most western nations, it is largely supported by oil, and the US could cripple that source of income in a matter of days if not hours.
So he can huff and puff all he likes, he will not hit anyone who has the ability to hit back.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:09 AM
Inspector

One thing that has just occurred to me is to wonder about the timing-- Trump was hosting the Chinese leader Xi Jianping at his Flordia resort while the attack took place, and only told him about if after they'd finished their steaks. Some sort of object lesson, perhaps?

Worldwide reaction has been mostly supportive, but domestic critics have pointed out a certain hypocrisy in being moved to action by suffering Syrian children, yet banning other Syrian children and their families from coming to our country as refugees.

I have also read that Trump lacks the support staff he'll need in Defense areas due to his slowness in filling empty government posts. "Donald the Unready" (to borrow from English history), perhaps?
---------------
Old 04-08-2017, 10:47 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdunn View Post
"Donald the Unready" (to borrow from English history), perhaps?
In the sense that the epithet "unready" came from a word that meant "ill-advised" at the time of Ethelred, you're possibly right on two counts there, sir!

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 04-08-2017, 10:53 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
One thing that has just occurred to me is to wonder about the timing-- Trump was hosting the Chinese leader Xi Jianping at his Flordia resort while the attack took place, and only told him about if after they'd finished their steaks. Some sort of object lesson, perhaps?
It was certainly fortuitous, and it just might nudge China to contain that presumptuous little Korean upstart of theirs...
Old 04-08-2017, 08:49 PM
Inspector

Default Speaking of advisers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
In the sense that the epithet "unready" came from a word that meant "ill-advised" at the time of Ethelred, you're possibly right on two counts there, sir!
I'm not a "sir," but appreciate the response, Sam!

Bannon losing his spot on the National Security Committee has been the best news I've heard from the White House in a long time. He has always reminded me of the king's counselor "Wormtongue" in Tolkien's books.
---------------
Old 04-09-2017, 03:20 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
I'm not a "sir," but appreciate the response
Thanks for clearing that up

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 04-09-2017, 12:18 PM
Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
To give credit where credit is due, Trump finally said and did something I agree with.
That was Obama's main failing in my opinion, he was too patient, to lenient.
Except that Obama went to Congress to ask for permission to attack Syria and was denied by the same group of idiots who now applaud the fact that Trump ignored the constitution and attacked (attacking a county is, by definition, a declaration of war) without congressional approval. Right after telling the world that we should get used to Assad being in charge. Assad isn't exactly entrenched, his forces are spread thin and has little offensive capabilities. He needs the Russians to prop him up.

Quote:
When the Assad's of this world do what he did, the most effective response is to hit him hard without warning.
None of this increased sanctions, no calling meetings of security councils, no consensus of countries condemning him - just hit him hard.
That wasn't hard. They called Putin, Putin called Assad, here comes something that makes me look tough, get out of the way. Obama had a fairly harsh plan, but now that the Russians are hanging out at all the nice places to attack you don't have the luxury of bombing the crap out of Assad.

Quote:
A hard response is just what this so-called President needed to begin to gain some credit at home.
Which is why he jumped at the chance to attack before any intelligence could tell him that it just might not have been Assad using those chemical weapons. Isis has been manufacturing chemical weapons, it's possible a hit from the Syrian Air Force nailed one. Or used one to see if they could cause problems.

Quote:
I did think it somewhat ironic that Trump should cry crocodile tears over the deaths of Syrian children, the same children he banned from entering the US.
Or they could show him pictures of starving kids in Africa, or the hungry kids in his own country and see if his heart melts then.
I fear that he got a massive hard-on from his attack, loved the media coverage talking about how 'tough' he was, and now will push other crisis situations to the brink without any sort of thought process regarding true consequence.

Last edited by Lord Allen : 04-09-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:25 PM
Cadet

Old 05-07-2017, 12:47 PM
Commisioner

I can't imagine why the American voters are so silent about Trump raping the health care system for money so he can give huge tax breaks to his millionaire buddies, not to mention lining his own pockets to the tune of billions of dollars in tax savings.

Hello America .....are you all asleep?