Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - by Sam Flynn 12 minutes ago.
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - by Patrick S 18 minutes ago.
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - by Pierre 19 minutes ago.
General Police Discussion: Lost police records & documents............... - by Simon Wood 21 minutes ago.
General Police Discussion: Lost police records & documents............... - by David Orsam 28 minutes ago.
General Police Discussion: Lost police records & documents............... - by Darryl Kenyon 28 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: Why Buck's Row? - (62 posts)
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (25 posts)
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - (24 posts)
Goulston Street Graffito: Can we profile the Ripper from the GSG? - (14 posts)
General Police Discussion: Lost police records & documents............... - (10 posts)
Rippercast: Index of Rippercast Podcasts - (5 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Media > Audio -- Visual

Old 07-29-2017, 05:29 AM
Assistant Commissioner

One of my heroes, paranormal debunker James Randi (a.k.a. the Amazing Randi) was involved in a tv show dealing with psychics. They brought a self proclaimed psychic to the Amityville Horror House. The film crew pulled up to the house and started unpacking their gear. The psychic said something to the effect that the vibrations from the house were so strong she could pick them up just standing on the lawn. According to Randi, a neighbor sitting nearby on his front porch asked them what they were doing. They said they were there to investigate the Amityville Horror House. The man told them it was in the next block. So much for psychics unless the vibrations were so strong from the real house that they drifted down the street.

c.d.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:13 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.d. View Post
One of my heroes, paranormal debunker James Randi (a.k.a. the Amazing Randi) was involved in a tv show dealing with psychics. They brought a self proclaimed psychic to the Amityville Horror House. The film crew pulled up to the house and started unpacking their gear. The psychic said something to the effect that the vibrations from the house were so strong she could pick them up just standing on the lawn. According to Randi, a neighbor sitting nearby on his front porch asked them what they were doing. They said they were there to investigate the Amityville Horror House. The man told them it was in the next block. So much for psychics unless the vibrations were so strong from the real house that they drifted down the street.

c.d.
Randi is a legend. Have you seen the routine where he overdoses on homeopathic medicine? He's a fine performer as well as a much needed voice of sanity. His sabotaging of one Uri Geller TV appearance was absolutely wonderful. He advised Johnny Carson's team to provide all their own paraphernalia and items, not to let Geller or anyone from his entourage have contact with them before the show began, so Carson took his advice, the cameras started to roll, and - whaddaya know - Geller started to whinge and whine about pressure, and tiredness, and his powers being weak that night because of the atmosphere. When not allowed to tamper with things beforehand his 'powers' failed. What a sad little fraud he is. And people still fall for that bs.

Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis - Satire III
Old 07-29-2017, 09:12 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Randi is indeed a legend and yes, I have seen the video where he overdosed on homeopathic medicine. Hard to believe but he will be 89 next month. Hope he lives a long, long time. he is much needed in this crazy world.

c.d.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:35 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.d. View Post
I have seen the video where Randi overdosed on homeopathic medicine. Hard to believe but he will be 89 next month.
A fine age to reach, especially considering that he survived that overdose.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 07-29-2017, 10:28 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
A fine age to reach, especially considering that he survived that overdose.
Nice

Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis - Satire III
Old 07-29-2017, 11:32 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Randi also busted televangelist Peter Popov and his healing scam. Amazingly, Popov still has a ministry and is still scamming people. He sells "miracle water" which apparently will not only heal your physical ailments but also cancel your debts and make money appear out of the blue in your checking account. It must work because it is an absolute miracle that this piece of garbage isn't in jail.

c.d.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:15 PM
Commisioner

But isn't it assumed in law that people like this, along with fortune tellers, are all charlatans? That in effect, you get what you pay for if you give them money with some expectation that they can do what they claim?
I'm not so sure the law will prosecute them for fraud, otherwise they wouldn't still be all over the place plying their so-called 'gift'.

It's so amazing to me that such an educated mind as Conan Doyle had that he believed in spiritualists & the Cottingley fairies.

Last edited by Wickerman : 07-29-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:02 PM
Detective

What is sad is Popov is back selling miracle carp on TV in infomercials....Geller makes MILLIONS as a "dowser" for oil companies and Randi is all but forgotten....seems the reason is there is a sucker born every minute is people WANT to be suckered....truly depressing

Steadmund Brand
Old 07-29-2017, 07:58 PM
Inspector

One of our alternative health teachers brought in several books on herbal medicine, chakras, and so forth to put on reserve. One of my colleagues was very annoyed that one of the books was entitled "The Idiot's Guide to Being Psychic", and advised me not to put it into our library catalog.

Of course, libraries don't work that way-- we are supposed to present all viewpoints, even if we personally disagree with some topics.
---------------