No announcement yet.

Mrs Long's address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The half hour walk implies the other end of Hanbury Street.

Prolly a mile ,if not in the best of health.

Close to Bethnal Green where she was born.
    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Hello DJA. 15 minutes makes much more sense. Perhaps she heard the quarter hour strike?

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

You have been around long enough to know this,like most subjects,has been done before.

Long's name was possibly Durrell.

OP has decided to have a fresh look at things.

Commendable.
        My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
          There was a Church Street and Church Row both. Blue star is the brewery clock. Red star is 29 Hanbury. Her destination, Spitalfields Market is also in blue. She said Whitechapel, didn't she. When she actually resided in Bethnal Green. That's what everyone has assumed I suppose.

[ATTACH]17010[/ATTACH]
          There you go...

That must be the Church Row (not 'street') I remembered which I identified in my first post - East of Brick Lane, North of Buxton St.
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
            There was a Church Street and Church Row both. Blue star is the brewery clock. Red star is 29 Hanbury. Her destination, Spitalfields Market is also in blue. She said Whitechapel, didn't she. When she actually resided in Bethnal Green. That's what everyone has assumed I suppose.

[ATTACH]17010[/ATTACH]
            Thanks, Roy. That makes a lot of sense. It's the one possibility which would include the relevant section of Hanbury Street on the logical route to Spitalfields Market. It would also explain why she took her time reference from the Brewery clock, rather than Christchurch. Although, come to think of it, it's likely she checked the Spitalfields Church clock when she arrived on Commercial Street and therefore unlikely (to my mind) that she mistook the quarter hour for the half.
            I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
              Addresses given in the press can become corrupt, we see it often throughout these murders, I'm sure you have noticed.
              Church Row, Whitechapel, did not exist in the surviving maps we have access to. The Post Office Guide of 1876 lists six Church Row addresses - Aldgate, Hampstead, Houndsditch, Limehouse, Stepney & Islington.
              Not one for Whitechapel.
              I'm not an expert on the boroughs of London but isn't Stepney quite a big place, which I think includes (or did originally) Whitechapel, along with Bethnal Green and other places?

That said, if you check out E-books, A Topographical Dictionary of London and Its Environs, you will find there were 10 addresses named Church Row in 1831.
              Mmm, that's a handy reference site, I'll have to bookmark it.

The third one is described as:
              ...in Church Street, Bethnal Green, about half a mile on the right hand from Shoreditch, leading to Hare Street.
              This does appear to be the one you described earlier, Jon. Sadly it's just off the edge of my own map so I couldn't see it, but thanks Roy for providing another. The route from there does make the most sense from the little we know. It just niggles me that she said she lived in the Church Row in Whitechapel.

Lo and behold, Church Row number 10 in the Topographical Dictionary says;

“10. Which is in Church Street, Whitechapel”

So still not narrowed down at all.

I have compared all the distances from each of the potential Church Row's to the market, and they're all about the same – 0.6 to 0.7 miles, roughly a 12-15 minute walk. Assuming she walked at average speed. And didn't stop off at the brewery for a swift half.
              So none ruled out on the grounds of distance or time. And it also doesn't rule out her mishearing the quarter hour chime for the half hour one.

Oh dear, who'd have thought it would be so difficult to pin down one minor witnesses address? No wonder we're (most of us) still looking for Jack!

Comment

Wouldn't the 1891 census records give James and Elizabeth Durrell (Long's) correct address? Admittedly it's a long shot that the couple would still be in the same home three years later, but it's worth a try. James was a park-keeper. Surely he'd reside reasonably close to his employment?

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                  Wouldn't the 1891 census records give James and Elizabeth Durrell (Long's) correct address? Admittedly it's a long shot that the couple would still be in the same home three years later, but it's worth a try. James was a park-keeper. Surely he'd reside reasonably close to his employment?
                  "Elizabeth and James appear to be living at 39 Blythe Street, Bethnal Green at the time of the 1891 census, where both are listed as cart-minders."
                  Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Oh damn! No good then! In Bethnal Green, however.

Comment

I found Church Row on ordance survey map 1873. It is not where people think it is and so tiny had to use a magnifing glass. I will blow the map section up and post it. It is off High St Whitechapel Rd next to St Botolph's Church, Cass's School is in the same row. It is about a twenty minute walk to Spitalfields, could go up Commercial St or Osborn St or any street off Commercial St.

Miss Marple

Comment

Help! I took some photos on the phone of the map section but the files are too big to download. What do I do?

Miss Marple

Comment

Is this the one, just off Aldgate High Street?

This is Church Row no. 4 in the Topographical Dictionary that Wickerman posted;

"4....is in Aldgate High Street, a few yards on the left hand from Leadenhall St, leading round the church from the South side to Houndsditch."

This is another possible candidate, however I can't see an obvious reason why she would need to walk down Hanbury Street from here without going out of her way.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Joshua Rogan; 09-02-2015, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Yes that's the one. In the 1873 map HANBURY st is not called that.It was Brown's Lane. If she lived at Church Row next to St Botdolph's she would have to walk up Commercial St, walk up Hanbury [ Browns Lane] then up past the Black Eagle Brewery. Or if she went up Brick Lane she would pass the brewery first before coming to Hanbury. Have to find my 94 map to place the market, as the current market is closer to Christchurch not as far up as Hanbury.

Miss Marple
                            Last edited by miss marple; 09-02-2015, 04:37 AM.

Comment

See Roy's excellent map in post #30 for the market's location. It's on the West side of Commercial Street, and Southwest of the end Hanbury Street.
                              So if she took the Commercial St route, she'd have no need to enter Hanbury St at all. And even less need to pass the brewery as it was North of both of them.
                              It's possible she could have walked East a couple of hundred yards past Commercial St, up Brick Lane (via Osborn St), and then turned back West another few hundred yards to the market via Hanbury St, though this does seem less likely. But hey, maybe there was a particularly fine bakery or something on that route where she got her breakfast. Or perhaps there was another reason to avoid Commercial St - on another thread, someone suggested that it was being dug up in 1888 to lay a tram-way.

Comment

IF Commercial St was being dug up then it makes sense that she avoided it or she may have had a favourite route. Either way, Church Row was probably where she lived, as it is in Whitechapel, whereas if she lived in Spitalfields it would be in the witness statement instead of Whitechapel.

Miss Marple

Comment

Working...
                                X