Mrs Long's address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mrs Long's address

I'm trying to work out the route taken by Elizabeth Long on her way from home to work via Hanbury Street. I've fallen at the first hurdle, though, as I can't find a definitive address for her.

The Witness section of Casebook gives it as 32 Church Street, which is very much in Spitalfields. In the inquest testimony she herself says "Church Row, Whitechapel". Most press reports quote this, although one says "3 Church Row". But I can't find a Church Row in Whitechapel at all. There's one in Hampstead, but that's more than 5 miles away.

Am I right in thinking it must have been Church Lane (now White Church Lane), just across the Whitechapel Road from Osborn Street, or have I missed it?

Suspect it was the extension of Bakers Row.
    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Mrs Long's address is given differently in sources, and it is years since I located Church Street, but if you travel north on Brick Lane, across Buxton, then Church Street is in that N/E section.
      East of Brick Lane, North of Buxton St.
      (I don't have the correct map in front of me)
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Hi All,

Click image for larger version

Name:	MRS LONG MAP (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	666213

Regards,

Simon
        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Hmm, thanks Wickerman. I do have a map handy, and Church Street is actually West of Brick lane and leads directly to Spitalfields Market where she worked. If she lived in that street there would be no need for her to walk up to Hanbury Street, and it certainly wouldn't take her more than 4 or 5 minutes, not the half hour she claimed.
          If there's another Church Street to the NE (quite possible), then it would be in Mile End New Town, or even Bethnal Green. I tend to favour Mrs Long's actual accounting of her address, which included Whitechapel, and Church Lane is right next to St Mary's. I wonder if Church Row was a little offshoot of Church Lane? It's also about half a mile away from the market, so slightly more conceivable that it took her half an hour (if she was a very slow walker).

Comment

Here is Church Street close to Dorset.

Comment

Thanks Simon, nice map. But are you sure that was Church Street in 1888? It appears to be Bethnal Green Road today, but that seems to have been further north originally, what is now Redchurch Street. Perhaps they've swapped, but even so it's definitely in Bethnal Green, not Whitechapel (which is south and east of the market place) as she stated.

Comment

Cheers, jerryd. That clearly shows that Church Street leads directly to the market so no need for any trip into Hanbury Street at all, if that was where she lived. Which is just as well as it seems to be missing from that map - do you know what date that is from? Was Hanbury St renamed before or after 1888?

Comment

The Church is prolly St.Anne's.
                  It is off Vallance Street which was once Bakers Row.
                  A Row was often designated by the nearest Street.

Confusin' ain't it

Rather like 6 Fashion Place where a family by the name of Barnett resided would be designated as 6 Fashion Street.
                  Last edited by DJA; 08-23-2015, 04:41 PM. Reason: Confusin' etc

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                    Cheers, jerryd. That clearly shows that Church Street leads directly to the market so no need for any trip into Hanbury Street at all, if that was where she lived. Which is just as well as it seems to be missing from that map - do you know what date that is from? Was Hanbury St renamed before or after 1888?

That map is from 1878.
                    Last edited by jerryd; 08-23-2015, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Ok, so by 1888 Brown's Lane, Montague Street and Preston Street had all been incorporated and renamed as Hanbury Street. That makes sense. And number 29 would have been on the north side of what had been (in 1878) Brown's Lane?

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                        Was Hanbury St renamed before or after 1888?
                        Named Brownes Lane when built in 17th century.

Renamed Hanbury Street after landholders from that time.
                        Last edited by DJA; 08-23-2015, 04:53 PM. Reason: D'oh!

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
                          The Church is prolly St.Anne's.
                          It is off Vallance Street which was once Bakers Row.
                          A Row was often designated by the nearest Street.
                          Interesting......though my map shows St Anne's as being north of Hanbury St, off Albert St (not Baker's Row). Which is slap in the middle of Mile End New Town. I still tend to think Liz would have said she lived there, rather than in Whitechapel, if that were the case, whatever the name of the actual street/lane/row. But who knows?

Confusin' ain't it
                          You're not wrong there!

Comment

Comment

Hi Joshua,

Why else would Mrs Long walk down Brick Lane, past the Truman Brewery clock, unless she was coming from the Church Street [which is now Bethnal Green Road] indicated on my map?

Regards,

Simon
                              Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Working...
                              X