Tabram Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tabram Questions

I thought a 'catch all' thread for random Tabram questions was in order, since there isn't one. And I have a question to ask to start it off. The following is from a report prepared by Inspector Ellisdon and is on page 10 of my first edition copy of 'Ultimate':

'A description was circulated in 116 Infn. 7.8.88...'

Can anyone tell me what '116 Infn' is referring to?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Sorry Tom...just checked out mine and you're right

Dave

Comment

I believe it stands for Information Tom.

Infn 116 is the 116th Info bulliten that year. if I recall correctly.

Monty
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Hi Monty and Cog, thanks for that. Is there by chance a volume somewhere containing all these bulletins? I bet it would make for fascinating reading.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Thanks for the thread Tom.
          As you know I've been taking a look at Tabram myself, so I think that this is going to turn into a useful thread for me.

My first random question :

Does anyone have a definitive answer on the dimensions and layout of the staircase and landings at GYB? I've read all of the witness descriptions and comments that I can find, but was hoping for something a bit more objective as in a plan or photograph.
          Sarah

Comment

I believe the closest is a plan of the building ext door.

Someone (John Bennett I believe) said the plan of GYBs is missing.

Comment

Hi Sarah

I think the most helpful clues to the layout of George Yard Buildings are here:-

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=3963

There is only the one photo (The John Bennett discovery) of the back of the buildings - the rest is deduced from photos of the similar building next-door...together with the known picture of the front of the building.

It's worth reading the thread right through to see how deductions about the building's layout evolved...and as befits a detective story, the denouement is right at the end...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Thank you both !!!

Dave, I'm starting to worry whether you've read every single thread on the forum . I've searched for something like that and had absolutely no joy in finding it . . . not that I'm complaining. Your help in pointing me in the relevant direction is hugely appreciated.

Thanks again,
                Sarah

Comment

Dave, I'm starting to worry whether you've read every single thread on the forum
                  I lurked a long time before joining, (and at times it's certainly beginning to feel like it).

More to the point though, I'm becoming worried that Tom has actually contributed to every ruddy thread on the forum!

Best wishes

Dave

Comment

Hi Dave, no worries of that. I only contribute to the interesting and worthwhile threads.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

What would have been the physical condition of Tabram,at the time she reached George yard building,Would it have been fatigue,to the point that tiredness caused her to seek a place to rest.She had ,by information given,and to my way of thinking,spent a long and eventful day,at a time of year when the weather was at it's warmest.This must have taken a toll of her physical resources.She was,I believe found on that part of the landing which comprised part of the top step.A good enough place to sit and relax,and possibly fall asleep.

Comment

Hi Harry. Tabram had eaten shortly before she was murdered, and would almost certainly have been inebriated. That she was sleeping when attacked was certainly considered by police at the time. But it seems as though Tabram did not make a habit of sleeping rough. In fact, there's not a statement to the effect that she had EVER done so.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Harry. I double-checked some things. And although I found nothing that said Tabram slept rough, I see there were nights she might have done so and lied about it. Here's Henry Turner's inquest testimony from the East London Observer..

Questioned by Inspector Reid, he said there were times when she stayed out all nights, but her excuse was invariably that she was subject to hysterical fits, had been overtaken with one and taken to a police-station or hospital. I, myself have seen her in those fits, but it was as a rule, when she was under the influence of drink. She might have told me occasionally that she was out all night in the streets, or that she had been taken to a police-station, but I can't remember any particular dates.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                            hysterical fits, had been overtaken with one and taken to a police-station or hospital.

Tom Wescott
                            Hi, Tom,
                            Thanks. That certainly adds to what is known about her.

Wonder what characterizes "hysterical fits" ?

curious

Comment

Tom,
                              So it's plausible that she was alone,and was resting,and a combination of fatigue,drink,and her medical condition was present?Some might say an easy target.
                              Regards.

Comment

Working...
                              X