How did he know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did he know?

How did the saucy jackie post card writer know, if he was not the killer, that 1. number one squealed a bit and 2. he couldn't finish straight off ?

Was the account in the papers detailed enough on Sep 30 or Oct 1 to include Israel Schwartz story and also that Stride only had her throat cut(and no mutilations)?
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
    How did the saucy jackie post card writer know, if he was not the killer, that 1. number one squealed a bit and 2. he couldn't finish straight off ?

Was the account in the papers detailed enough on Sep 30 or Oct 1 to include Israel Schwartz story and also that Stride only had her throat cut(and no mutilations)?
    Anyone?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Because he had already seen an early press report of the killings. Stride's death was very quick anatomically speaking, she was finished very quickly. Dave
      We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

Originally posted by protohistorian View Post
        Because he had already seen an early press report of the killings. Stride's death was very quick anatomically speaking, she was finished very quickly. Dave
        Hi Proto
        Thanks for responding. But what about the squealed abit part? Did he make a lucky guess (per I.S. statement)? Surely I.S. testimoney was not in the papers that quickly?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

I am unsure. I know that after Stride's neck wound was inflicted there was NO squealing. He may have been trying that favored tactic of Bullsh** artists in saying something unprovable in the hope people would buy it.

Comment

I am unsure. I know that after Stride's neck wound was inflicted there was NO squealing. He may have been trying that favored tactic of Bullsh** artists in saying something unprovable in the hope people would buy it.
            Quite agree !

He must have finished Kate off sharpish -there was a nightwatchman awake, with the door ajar, in an echo-y confined square, and he heard nothing.
            http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Originally posted by Rubyretro View Post
              Quite agree !

He must have finished Kate off sharpish -there was a nightwatchman awake, with the door ajar, in an echo-y confined square, and he heard nothing.
              Hi Ruby
              we were talking about "number 1" as in Stride. I can see how he may have known about not being able to "finish straight off" (saucy jackie postcard) with stride if he read in the papers that she only had a cut throat, but how could he have known that she "squealed a bit" if Israel Schwartz testimoney was not in the papers by the time the postcard was sent?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                Hi Ruby
                we were talking about "number 1" as in Stride.
                I can see how he may have known about not being able to "finish straight off" (saucy jackie postcard) with stride if he read in the papers that she only had a cut throat, but how could he have known that she "squealed a bit" if Israel Schwartz testimoney was not in the papers by the time the postcard was sent?
                Sorry !! I thought you were referring to the Double Event, and 2. was Eddowes..

I don't supposed that Liz could 'squeal' when she was killed in the yard..the cut to her throat excluded that..
                http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Does squealing have to be taken literally or could it mean that she was killed just like a pig with no mercy?

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubyretro View Post
                    Sorry !! I thought you were referring to the Double Event, and 2. was Eddowes..

I don't supposed that Liz could 'squeal' when she was killed in the yard..the cut to her throat excluded that..
                    Perhaps he was referring to her "yelling 3 times but not very loudly" as reported by Schwartz. To me that pretty much equals "squealed a bit".

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                      Does squealing have to be taken literally or could it mean that she was killed just like a pig with no mercy?

c.d.
                      Hi CD
                      Taken with the previous statement in The Dear boss letter of "I gave the lady no time to squeal" and the full statement in the postcard "squealed abit couldn't finish staright off" to me makes it clear he meant literally yell or cry out.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Would this effectively mean that the letter writier was a journalist who saw the news before it went out into the public domain - or were there early editions out on the streets early enough for it to have come from a member of the public? Does anybody know?

And if there were such early editions, does anybody know which ones they were?

It seems to me that the answer, if possible to acquire, might be helpful here.

Comment

Hello Sally, it has been sussed out as a possibility, and it is here on casebook. I came across it years ago, when my memory functioned even more poorly and cannot remember where. Perhaps one of our peers will take pity on us and help. Dave

Comment

Hello Sally, it has been sussed out as a possibility, and it is here on casebook. I came across it years ago, when my memory functioned even more poorly and cannot remember where. Perhaps one of our peers will take pity on us and help. Dave
                            Hello Dave - I should have expected that somebody would have already had a go at this. I hope that somebody remembers where it is - it would be interesting to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Sally View Post
                              Hello Dave - I should have expected that somebody would have already had a go at this. I hope that somebody remembers where it is - it would be interesting to know.
                              Hi Sally
                              I can see if the description of strides murder in the paper was detailed enough that it described just a cut throat that the letter writer would have been able to know from that to write "could not finish straight off".

however, how did he know "she squealed a bit"? This comes from Israel Scwartz testimoney which i beleive was not in any of the papers before the Saucey jacky postcard was sent. So ,how did he know? Lucky guess? Was the Israel Scwartz testimoney traveling word of mouth and in such detail?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Working...
                              X