Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 59 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 1 hour and 2 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by jerryd 1 hour and 17 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Abby Normal 1 hour and 23 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by jerryd 1 hour and 29 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Abby Normal 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (60 posts)
Non-Fiction: Scholes of the Yard: The Casebook of a Scotland Yard Detective 1888 to 1924 - (3 posts)
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - (1 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Bucks Row Project - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Victims > Mary Jane Kelly

Old 04-24-2017, 11:48 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
But if you are referring to her deposition, Prater is recorded as saying "I noticed the lodging house was out, so it was after 4 probably". That's not 3.45 is it?
but she said "probably"! ; )

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:05 PM
Commisioner

to me given that both women were asleep or recently asleep-ie perhaps groggy-and the ambiguousness of time keeping through hearing a clock chime-I would conclude that they probably heard the same scream, from the same woman around 4:00 am at the same location-at least from somewhere in the court.

and given that a women was in fact found murdered later in the morning in a room in the court I would say that in all probability it was mary Kelly who made the scream.

But... but that being said I recently saw a true crime docu in which a woman was found murdered in the woods near her apartment by gunshot-two neighbors heard gunshots in the middle of the night and the police used that as time of death and were convinced that she was shot at the time the neighbors heard it. turns out she was shot by a friend much later in the morning and the shots the neighbors heard had nothing to do with it.

so....you never know.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 04-24-2017, 12:06 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
but she said "probably"! ; )
Exactly! That's her evidence.

As far as I can tell, Michael reads it as the direct opposite, namely: probably not after 4am!!!
Old 04-24-2017, 12:36 PM
Inactive

Quote:
As we know from many of your previous posts, my dear boy, you don't understand the difference between newspaper articles in general and newspaper reports of court proceedings. You never have understood it, you still don't understand it and I'm guessing you never will. But the fact of the matter, whether you like it or not, is that there was no sensationalism (i.e. fabrication) in reporting of court proceedings in the newspapers, nor was it even possible for there to be any, and, indeed, newspaper reports of court proceedings had their own special status in English law which recognised this. Ask a historian.
David,

What is your opinion on differences between newpaper reports from the Whitechapel murder inquests in 1888?

How do you explain different types of variations?

Pierre
Old 04-24-2017, 12:54 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
David,

What is your opinion on differences between newpaper reports from the Whitechapel murder inquests in 1888?

How do you explain different types of variations?
My dear boy, as usual I'm very happy to answer all your questions and on this occasion my answer to your question, which I see you have asked twice in two charmingly different ways, is this: poor acoustics, poor hearing, witnesses speaking very softly, witnesses mumbling or speaking otherwise incoherently, poorly written or illegible notes, miscommunication between reporter and editor etc.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:03 PM
Inactive

Quote:
My dear boy, as usual I'm very happy to answer all your questions and on this occasion my answer to your question, which I see you have asked twice in two charmingly different ways, is this: poor acoustics, poor hearing, witnesses speaking very softly, witnesses mumbling or speaking otherwise incoherently, poorly written or illegible notes, miscommunication between reporter and editor etc.
David,

what evidence do you have for "miscommuniation between reporter and editor"?
Old 04-24-2017, 01:06 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
David,

what evidence do you have for "miscommuniation between reporter and editor"?
I don't have evidence for any of those reasons my dear boy, they are all inferred, but what I was really thinking of there when I said "miscommunication between reporter and editor etc." was a reporter who telephones in his report to his editorial office and the person taking the report (be it editor, subeditor or clerk or whomsoever) mishears what the reporter says.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:26 PM
Detective

Default Why the term "Murder!" was used

Quote:
I still find it weird that someone's response would be "Oh, murder!" in that situation. Not "Help!" or even a sudden scream but a literal cry of murder. It still could've come from MJK's room, but maybe the cause was Blotchy clumsily spilling some of his beer over her linens.
I think I can explain this. While reading through hundreds of newspaper accounts and court documents related to crime in the LVP I remember hearing witnesses during crimes during the period say that when someone needed help because they were being robbed, assaulted, etc. they would often yell "Murder!" because it was the surest way to get help to come. "Help!", "I'm being robbed!", "Police!", etc. were often thought to be ineffective. You will find many crimes where a victim yells out "Murder!" even when they are NOT being "murdered". I came across this numerous times when reading through criminal reports. So I believe it became "folk wisdom" for a person during this period (at least in London) who needed assistance to automatically yell out "Murder!" to get bystanders or police to render assistance regardless of the actual reason they needed help.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:18 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkerton View Post
I think I can explain this. While reading through hundreds of newspaper accounts and court documents related to crime in the LVP I remember hearing witnesses during crimes during the period say that when someone needed help because they were being robbed, assaulted, etc. they would often yell "Murder!" because it was the surest way to get help to come. "Help!", "I'm being robbed!", "Police!", etc. were often thought to be ineffective. You will find many crimes where a victim yells out "Murder!" even when they are NOT being "murdered". I came across this numerous times when reading through criminal reports. So I believe it became "folk wisdom" for a person during this period (at least in London) who needed assistance to automatically yell out "Murder!" to get bystanders or police to render assistance regardless of the actual reason they needed help.
And maybe because they're being murdered? ; )

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 04-25-2017, 11:49 AM
Inactive

[quote=David Orsam;412932]

Quote:
I don't have evidence for any of those reasons my dear boy, they are all inferred,
David,

that seems very strange. If you infer, you must have something to infer from. Do you infer from imagination - and if you do - how come you draw your specific conclusions?

Quote:
but what I was really thinking of there when I said "miscommunication between reporter and editor etc." was a reporter who telephones in his report to his editorial office and the person taking the report (be it editor, subeditor or clerk or whomsoever) mishears what the reporter says.
That may be an hypothesis. Have you any source for this type of event at all?

Pierre